How to Protect your Face this Summer
Summer is here and naturally, that means more sun and sweat— sometimes not the best combination for your skin. We need Vitamin D but only in moderation if you want to keep your skin looking healthy and vibrant for years. To transfer my beauty routine from cooler to warmer days, I’ve found confidence in a simple yet effective combination. The key is protecting your skin and face in particular, before you head out the door.
I start by applying a non-shiny daily SPF to a cleansed face, (I like Aubrey’s SPF 15 Defense Moisturizer) to protect my skin from too much sun from the moment I step out the door. Plus, lots of sunscreens are now combined with antioxidant-rich, healing ingredients like this one has in it. Derma E’s Antioxidant and Oil-Free Natural Sunscreen with SPF 30 is another great option for when you need more protection for longer periods of time outside. When it comes to sunscreens, I like testing one out for a week or so to see if it pairs nicely with my skin before really committing to one.
With a reliable SPF layer in place, I keep my glisten at bay by applying a soothing face powder. Formulated with gentle ingredients, I prefer Mineral Fusion’s Pressed Base Foundation because it evens out skin tone and keeps it balanced while maintaining a natural, low-key look. Together, I find this SPF and powder combination to be the perfect way to transition my face to take on those longer summer days. Your skin is protected yet can breathe which creates a subtle glow.
Here are some other tips for protecting your face this summer:
- Wear sunglasses and keep a hat on hand (especially for walks, runs, hikes and other longer outdoor adventures).
- Seek out shade whenever possible like sitting under an umbrella at brunch.
- Use an SPF spray for your body for more thorough coverage.
- Wash your face every night to remove the build up from the day and to help keep breakouts at bay. I also like applying a weekly nourishing mask using plain greek yogurt (1T) with raw Manuka honey (1-2t) and leaving on my skin for 10-15 minutes before bed. Simply rinse with warm water and pat dry. For an extra dose of nourishment, you can apply a healing healthy oil like rose hip or jojoba, both of which can help even skin tone and reduce inflammation.
- And my favorite tip of all: Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated from the inside! I like to liven up my H20 (or better yet, seltzer) by adding naturally energizing ingredients for a refreshing lift to enjoy throughout the day. Below is a recipe for my go-to drink of choice for warm weather days! This recipe is perfect for 1 but you can easily make a larger batch if you’re hosting friends for brunch or want an alcohol alternative to offer your guests at dinner.
Refreshing Lemon Honey & Ginger Spritzer
- 1-2t apple cider vinegar
- 1t freshly grated ginger
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 1t raw honey
- sprig of thyme (optional)
Pour all ingredients into a tall glass or portable one and add in 8 ounces of seltzer (Coconut or Lemon La Croix are delicious options for this recipe). Mix well and add your sprig of thyme.
This drink tastes amazing and is loaded with natural benefits that nourish your body from the inside out. And it makes drinking 8 glasses a day a lot more exciting—and tasty. Lemon is a great source of Vitamin C and potassium. Together with the ginger, it helps to aid in healthy digestion too. Ginger also helps boost immunity and the apple cider vinegar can keep curb cravings throughout the day. The honey offers the perfect hint of sweetness and is a great natural source of energy. So lift a glass and cheers to summer—and your health!
Shop the Story
Women’s Hinge Straw Boater Hat – Brown • Hinge • $29
Kiehl’s Since 1851 Ultra Facial Moisturizer Sunscreen SPF 30, 2.5 oz. • Kiehl’s • $21
Topshop Cool metal retro sunglasses • Topshop • $30
KAREN WALKER EYEWEAR Super Duper Strength sunglasses • Karen Walker • $215
California Umbrella 9′ Market Umbrella Frame • California Umbrella • $200–218
bkr 16oz Original Glass Water Bottle • BKR • $35
Women’s Madewell Stripe Baseball Cap – Blue • Madewell • $26.50
Supergoop! Sun-Defying Sunscreen Oil with Meadowfoam SPF 50 • Supergoop! • $12–34
Dorothy • Warby Parker • $95