To Have and to Hold: Say Hello to Spring’s Best Handbags
With the sweet spring air just around the corner (for some), it’s time we begin prepping our closets for the warmer, longer days on the horizon. Some of us (I’m talkin’ to you, my fellow Midwesterners) know damn well we can’t wish the snow and cold away quite yet. But just because we may have to wait a bit to bust out our collection of sandals and summer denim, we can still add a dose of spring cheer into our wardrobe–starting with a fresh handbag.
If there’s one thing I can’t help but drool over while perusing the NYFW runway roundups, its the surplus of new and interesting handbags. From unconventional shapes and textures to bold straps and hues, there’s no shortage of statement-making bags this season.
Whether you’re searching for your upcoming beach travel tote, or simply wanting to spruce up your black on black winter uniform, a fresh bag is guaranteed to put a bit of spring into your step. Read on for my roundup of this season’s most coveted carryalls (at every price point).
1. For The Weekend
- Poolside M’O Exclusive Shorty Embroidered Straw Tote: Because who run the world? Yea, ’nuff said.
- Mansur Gavriel Vegetable-Tanned Leather Mini Bucket Bag: You can never go wrong with a classic bucket bag. And this buttery brown leather can’t be beat.
- Cuyana Weekender Bag: Perfect for your next impromptu cabin weekend, staycation or quick business trip.
- Loeffler Randall Straw Travel Tote: Planning a spring getaway? This straw and fringe tote is perfect for packing all of your plane essentials. Talk about the ultimate statement-making beach bag (or even for a trip to the farmers market).
- Staud Moreau Bucket Bag White: This bucket bag from Staud is my current crush. Isn’t she the perfect mate for a bottomless mimosa brunch?
- Clare V Sophie: A hobo is perfect for a day full of errands and with the long strap, it fits comfortably under your arm. Wallet, day planner, to-do lists, sunglasses? Check, check, check and check.
2. For a Night Out
- Forever 21 O-Ring Crossbody Bag: While it may be too early to whip out the white denim, get your fix with a white handbag. White and cream handbags are dominating the runways. Get the look for less with this budget-friendly option from F21.
- LITTLE LIFFNER D Tiny Box lizard-effect leather shoulder bag: Olive you, perfect green chain-strap number. Dress her down with mom jeans and a tee, or sport it at your first wedding of the season.
- Cult Giai Mini Ark Handbag: The ultimate art deco resort wear piece. This unique top handle carrier comes in many colors–but my favorite has to be the tortoise.
- Clare V Flore: Lavender is here to give millennial pink a run for its money. I’m not usually a purple girl, but a small dose of this pastel never hurt nobody.
- Chloe Nile Small Bracelet Minaudiere Bag: If you’re looking to make a statement this season, go full circle and swap your leather straps for metal rings. The ring handle doubles as a bracelet, further proving that your purse should be thought of as an accessory, not just a necessity. Get the look for less here.
- Ulla Johnson Tautou Bag: Our favorite straw accessories are back in full-force again this year and I think they are best in the form of basket bags. How cute would this Ulla number be with a little silk scarf tied around the handle?
3. For The Workplace
- Graf Lantz Frankie Tote: The mix of felt and leather is perfectly sophisticated and minimal.
- Clare V Simple Tote: Fits everything from your laptop to your change of comfy commuter kicks. The bonus? The stripe detail adds a fit of Parisian flair.
- Mansur Gavriel Black North South Tote: Talk about a cult bag brand. Equal parts stylish and durable, I love the irregular shape of this bag–perfect for all your daytime essentials.
- Cuyana Canvas and Leather Bucket Bag: Love the combo of canvas and leather on this crossbody.
- Guess Keaton O-Ring Tote: Bring the chic O-ring trend into the office with this pebbled leather piece. Bonus: the long strap will save your arms from getting sore.
- Rag & Bone Small Pilot II Leather Backpack: Day full of running around? Give your shoulders a break and swap your top-handled tote for a chic backpack. Get the look for less here.
Madeline Nachbar is a Marketing Manager and freelance fashion & lifestyle writer and content creator. On the weekends, she enjoys seeing her favorite bands in concert, traveling, or hanging in her Northeast Minneapolis hood with the three men in her life: her husband Eric, and her two cats, Harry and Lloyd.