those lips

Beauty

i think i need to get a shade of red-orange lipstick. it’s a little difficult to find the right shade with my dark hair and light skin, but i’m determined to find one that works.

(i love the color the jcrew gals wear in this months catalog…)

BY Kate - May 27, 2010

1. Laura Kunkel

May 27th, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I just bought NARS in heat wave and i LOVE IT.

May 27th, 2010 at 2:17 pm

right after i posted this i ran to the nearest NARS counter and bought pop life! i love that a little bit goes a long way- you can get a really bold look, or just a light stained look. so pretty!

3. Meg

May 27th, 2010 at 2:52 pm

in an article in this months Elle Decor, Jenna Lyons said they use the NARS lip pencil in Red Square on the shoots. I have dark hair and light skin also, I can’t wait to pick this up.

4. Christine

May 27th, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I love the jcrew lips too! I have a chanel that is pretty nice…

5. Coquette & Dove

May 27th, 2010 at 4:09 pm

The dress & belt combo is killing me! Too cool for school.

6. Melissa

May 28th, 2010 at 12:10 pm

After reading Jenna’s comment in Elle Decor, I ran right out to try NARS Red Square… and then wiped it off as quickly as possibly because it looked completely awful on me. Hard color to wear, very orange-y. I have dark hair and light skin, so maybe this shade isn’t for us, girls. I’m going to check out Heat Wave next…

7. seleta

May 28th, 2010 at 1:26 pm

When you find one, please blog about it. I have the same coloring and would love a sassy french red like this. Such a classic look!

8. Reyna

May 31st, 2010 at 11:20 am

Red lipstick for dark hair and pale skin? That’s me, sister! I’m obsessed with MAC’s Ruby Woo. It’s the perfect shade!

9. Name Leanne

May 31st, 2010 at 1:41 pm

A few reds to check out: Ellis Faas is a new makeup line with an amazing red. Her colors are based on those found in the human body (she is a former special effects mua, so she knows this). ellisfaas.com

Also, Julie Hewett makes a whole line of beautiful red lipstick. it’s the basis for her whole makeup line. Great quality. juliehewett.net

10. Lolawashername.com

May 31st, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Sienna Miller uses Nars’ Dragon Girl lip liner {goes on like a lipstick . . . I use mine down to the last nub!}. Cheers.

11. Lolawashername.com

May 31st, 2010 at 6:45 pm

P.S. She looks INCREDIBLE . . . dating Jude Law sure does wonders for her wardrobe.

12. abby

June 1st, 2010 at 12:04 pm

light skin and dark hair here, too (not to mention a decent amount of freckles), and i found the first red i really liked at clinique in angel red. the gals at the counter were super sweet and said it was the best red match to skin tone they’d seen in a while. that felt good. i had always been so unsure before.

13. Rhart

June 1st, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I was just flipping through an Allure mag from 2008 (I love it when I find old fashion magazines at free book exchanges) and it was saying that all you need to do to balance out a red lipstick with lighter skin is some blush. I have an olive(ish) undertone so I think that’ll be harder to pull off for me but hey, it’s an idea.

14. katiecrackernuts

June 2nd, 2010 at 6:21 pm

Try this label in Cayenne – my perfect red/orange lippie.