Do the Fishtail

Beauty

When I went in for a spa day at Juut Salonspa, my stylist Jen Hughes was kind enough to show me how to do a fishtail braid, with an updo option! I hope this helps all the fishtail-inclined ladies out there and feel free to share your favorite “easy updo” if you’d like! I’m all for new hairstyle suggestions.

Thanks to Jen for being my teacher and model! She’s got the most gorgeous hair, seriously.

Directions

1. Gathering your hair to the side and secure it with a thin rubber hair tie. Divide it into two sections.

2. Hold both sections in one hand, separated by your pointer finger, and use your other hand to grab a small piece from the outside of one section.

3. Pull a small bit of hair over to the other half, and then take a piece from the outside of that section and braid the opposite way. It’s like you’re doing a typical braid, except the pieces are tiny.

4. Repeat until you’ve just about reached the end and secure it with an elastic. It’s even better if it’s messy, so pull out some strands and roughen up the braid a bit.

5. If you want to turn your fishtail into an updo, start by rolling the braid inward and up towards the nape of your neck.

5. Secure the rolled bun with bobby pins. The looser and messier the bun, the better!

BY Kate - April 18, 2012

1. Nomadic D

April 18th, 2012 at 9:13 am

Love me some fishtails! I think it’s such a great warm weather hairstyle, something about it looks so carefree but thoughtful at the same time. Here’s my take on it:

from back when I had long hair! Now I can barely get a ponytail together! Not complaining though, short’s good too…

2. Caitlin

April 18th, 2012 at 11:39 am

Wish I was good at doing new hairstyles like these. I’ll attempt this weekend but think it’s going to end up in knots – so pretty for an on the go look!

3. ale norris

April 18th, 2012 at 12:15 pm

love this! my braids and fishtails always fail miserably, but i’m determined to try this out.

4. kelly ann

April 18th, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I love fishtail braids – I never thought to do an updo with it! Thanks for this, totally trying it πŸ™‚

5. Emily

April 19th, 2012 at 1:05 am

I love your new hair! I want to try the ombre look, but didn’t know that you could achieve it with balayage. What did you ask for – a partial or a full? Thanks!

6. lauren @ lapetitefashionista

April 19th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

this is so helpful!! i’m terrible with all things hair related. i love your blog πŸ™‚

7. TGIF: REVERIE KINDS OF WONDERFUL… | Reverie Magazine

April 20th, 2012 at 4:52 am

[…] How to braid your hair into a fishtail. […]

8. Friday! : Honey Kennedy

April 20th, 2012 at 7:34 am

[…] ♡ Pretty hair tutorial. […]

9. Cookie and Kate

April 22nd, 2012 at 9:42 pm

This is perfect, Kate, thank you! I just got an unfortunately short hair cut (NOT by my request) and I can’t do my regular side braid anymore but this, I think I can do. I’ll try.

I want my hair baaackkkkk! wahhhh!

10. H*

April 23rd, 2012 at 3:22 am

I can’t do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no matter how many times I try!

kisses from Spain!