Skincare 101 with Juut Salonspa

Beauty

Who wants to talk skincare?? I DO! I’ll admit to being a bit of a skincare junkie, so when I went in for a truly amazing Juut facial with Christen Hackett a few weeks ago, I had a ton of questions. She was kind enough to talk me through what I should be doing to keep my skin it’s healthiest.

The goal of the facial was to get a read on what was going on with my skin. I also wanted to increase radiance and keep my skin looking fresh and dewy. Here’s the plan that Christen put together for me:

1. Hydrate. No surprise here: Drink lots of WATER. It’s important to take care of your skin externally AND internally. I find it really difficult to drink enough water, so I bought a water bottle (this one) to keep at my desk. Silly as it sounds, I drink more water when I use a straw. Whatever works, I guess!

2. Don’t forget to exfoliate. I thought exfoliating too much would be too evasive on my skin, but in reality my complexion looked dull because I wasn’t exfoliating enough.

Now I follow Christen’s plan, which has been very effective!

Daily:
– Wash with a Clarisonic brush using Bobbi Brown’s Cleansing Oil. I’ve used many cleansers and this one is by far the most compatible with my skin. It doesn’t strip away moisture or leave my skin feeling too tight.
– Wipe away soap with a hot towel. I’ve found this is more effective than splashing water on my face.
– Apply Botanical Kinetics Exfoliant with a soft pad.
– Every 3 days I exfoliate in the shower with Tourmaline Radiant Refine, which has a nice fine grain, or Lush’s Sea Salt scrub, which smells like a beach vacation.

3. Nourish: Once your skin is clean and freshly exfoliated, locking in nutrients and moisture are key. Christen suggests using products that increase skin cell turnover like Aveda’s Tourmaline line. I purchased the cream and hydrating fluid and love them. I also love their tinted moisturizer, which also increases radiance and promotes skin cell turnover. When my skin feels really dry, I’ll just apply oil as I would moisturizer, or I’ll mix a bit of oil in with my regular moisturizer. I highly recommend Bobbi Brown’s EXTRA Face Oil.

For extra credit: Try adding some coconut oil to your green tea. Christen swears (and so does Miranda Kerr) that this concoction works wonders.

Facials: For a woman in her mid-twenties and up, it’s recommended to schedule facials every 4-6 weeks, if your skin is healthy. If you’re battling skin problems like excessive dryness or oiliness, your aesthetician can help you aggressively tackle the problem with a series of sessions, followed by routine maintenance. For women in their early twenties and no skin issues, a seasonal facial is recommended. You can read more about Juut’s skincare services here.

I want to send a huge, HUGE thank you to the Juut Daymaker team for providing me with such great services and such helpful advice. If you’re a fellow Minnesotan, I hope you can try out Juut’s services, if haven’t already. They’re a fantastic group of talented and kind individuals!

BY Kate - May 1, 2012

1. Nomadic D

May 2nd, 2012 at 2:44 am

I’m totally with you on the straw thing. Weird as it sounds, I drink so much more water now with my camelbak bottle.

I researched tons of bottles and this one ended up being my favorite. Also totally agree with you on the clarisonic, that thing is like magic! I don’t use it every day though, because my other big facial discovery was using less water and cleansers, so I use this every morning and night now:

And just exfoliate with the clarisonic in the shower every other day or so. Also curious to try a cleansing oil though, as my skin seems to just be getting drier and drier. (hello? It’s called getting older, why am I surprised?)

2. Ashley

May 2nd, 2012 at 8:44 am

This post is beautiful. I love, love, love the graphics and such fantastic information! Cheers-ing tea cups to healthy skin (or possibly a shot of olive oil).

3. Amy

May 2nd, 2012 at 9:07 am

Wish I could afford all of this! Such great advice… maybe I can start slowly collecting it.

Thanks!

4. Danielle

May 2nd, 2012 at 10:18 am

i will definitely try the Bobbi Brown face oil & the exfoliant. I’m curious to know more about the coconut oil in your tea. Did she say how much to add – per cup/per pot of tea? And to use solid or liquid coconut oil? Thanks!

May 2nd, 2012 at 10:21 am

Hi Danielle!

Scoop anywhere from a teaspoon to a tablespoon into your tea. Use the solid kind, it dissolves in the hot liquid.

K

6. jacqueline

May 2nd, 2012 at 11:26 am

Keeping my skin moisturized is my biggest beauty tool. Every morning and evening I put on moisturizer, since I was in my early 20s. I think a routine like that is really important to develop early to keep skin at its best late into life.

7. fawn

May 2nd, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Invaluable advice. Thank you!

8. Connie | Daydream In Color

May 4th, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I love these ideas! I’m always looking for better skincare advice! I must try these out.

9. Sandy

May 10th, 2012 at 2:41 am

Thank you for sharing all of this great info – awesome post!

10. Erin

May 21st, 2012 at 2:04 am

I want to come for a facial now!

11. dulci

May 22nd, 2012 at 3:08 pm

girl, I am such an Aveda Tourmaline addict. Plus, the $20 facials at the Aveda institute here in NYC can not be beat.

May 22nd, 2012 at 4:25 pm

$20!? That is crazzzy talk. Lucky you!

13. Skincare with Juut Salonspa | { wit + delight }

April 30th, 2013 at 10:53 am

[…] in our Juut Salonspa series is about skincare and the importance of knowing what your skin needs. Last year, I shared tips from my esthetician, Christen Hackett. When we met to talk about doing this […]

14. Briana Parker

August 8th, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Good call on clarisonic for exfoliation. I love my mia 2!

15. The Importance of Routine and 12 Products I Can't Live Without | Wit & DelightWit & Delight

May 12th, 2014 at 11:52 am

[…] was introduced to this clay-based masque by my esthetician, Christen Hackett, and it’s a life saver. The ingredient tourmaline smooths and refines […]