Early Mornings Are Better Than Late Nights

Health & Wellness

mornings via witanddelight.com
Making the transition from night owl to early riser has been difficult, but I’ve found it’s all around better for my productivity and mood. A few of my favorite things about getting up early:

1. The open road. Early mornings feel like a head start, and there’s something calming about watching the sun rise on your way to work.

2. Time. If you want to enjoy a perfectly poached egg over toast with your coffee, the clock isn’t stopping you.

3. At night, you crash. Hard. What’s better than falling into bed and drifting to sleep in minutes? I sleep like a bag of rocks and it feels fantastic.

Are you bias to early mornings?

1 | 2 | 3 |

BY Kate Arends - April 2, 2013

1. Allyson

April 2nd, 2013 at 9:34 am

I completely agree. I am a night owl by nature, but I’ve found that when I rise with the sun (or before it) on a regular basis, I am refreshed. Plus, it’s always nice to think of how much you are getting done while others snooze.

2. Nomadic D.

April 2nd, 2013 at 10:02 am

Totally agree! I’m not a morning person by nature (Husband is, so I definitely have something to compare to) but I do find that once I settled into a routine of early mornings, I am a generally happier and more productive person. Life sometimes keeps me up late at night though (work and family more often than not, I am not a partier by any stretch of the imagination) and then my mornings are painful again, but if I manage to get into bed at a reasonable hour, all things just seem better in the world. Do you have a trick to tucking in early? Sometimes it’s so hard to say, My day is over, I am done, and hit the sack…

3. Bessie

April 2nd, 2013 at 10:18 am

I’m a total night owl. I just feel like I get more done. Kids are bath, dinner is served, everyone is sleeping. Mornings feel rushed to me. There’s a gazillion things to do and none of them are things I want to do lol

4. katie

April 2nd, 2013 at 11:46 am

I am not naturally a morning person, but when I can peel myself out of bed for a head start – my day is always better! Nicer cup of coffee, some news to get my brain working, a better put together outfit… all of it contributes to my daytime mood 🙂 xxk

5. Angel Y.

April 2nd, 2013 at 11:56 am

I love my early mornings! I’ve been a morning person since I was an infant but it’s helped me become so productive in my business.

6. Ashley@marriedlane

April 2nd, 2013 at 3:42 pm

I was just talking to my Mom about this very thing! My hubby is a night owl, but I’m a total morning person. It feels so good to get out of bed, and start getting things done. With two toddlers and a baby on the way, that quiet start to my day is essential!

7. Kait

April 2nd, 2013 at 5:10 pm

morning person 100% always. it’s so great to get up early, work out, make breakfast, check email,then still have some time leftover. nothing better!

8. Hilary

April 2nd, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I’m half and half. When writing and editing, I play jazz on the radio and stay up late with a glass of wine or a steaming cup of peppermint tea in hand.

For hiking, commuting, skiing and just general making shit happen, getting up early is the best. Something about stepping out of the shower into the cool, quiet morning and going straight to a fresh cup of french press – all before the world wakes up – can’t beat it.

9. Monarose

April 3rd, 2013 at 12:16 am

What time in the morning do you (actually) get up nowadays?

10. joana

April 3rd, 2013 at 9:33 am

hi there! maybe i should start thinking of doing it too! i really like to stay up long nights but i also feel like mornings are better. i kind of enjoy night silent but i guess it also exists in the morning! 🙂

11. juliet

April 4th, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I needed to read this! My body clock likes to go to sleep at 4-5 am and get up at 12-1 pm. I hate it and try so hard to change it by telling myself I’m not a freaking teenager anymore and most adults have a “regular” sleep schedule, but nothing has changed it so far. Hopefully, this will serve as inspiration!

12. Latrina

April 4th, 2013 at 3:24 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more! I have had the most productive days + better energy since making the transition from a night owl to a morning bird. I love it!

13. Caitlin

April 4th, 2013 at 5:24 pm

This is the hardest to do but I really want to make the change as well, and I appreciate the solidarity!

14. Tania

April 8th, 2013 at 6:16 am

Just discovered your beautiful blog – I’m so glad! I am also trying to change my night owl routine! I love mornings, and breakfast is my favourite meal of the day. More will power and less technology at night is what I need! x

15. Katie Dohman

April 11th, 2013 at 11:46 am

I am naturally a night owl, but in the last year or so I feel my body clock re-adjusting. Pregnancy really did it for me since I needed to be in bed early. And a little one changes that too! Sometimes I am now in bed with her at 8 p.m., relaxing. It’s actually really nice. I thought I got a lot of projects done late at night in the dark, tap-tapping away on my keyboard but I find that actually now that I am more committed to mornings, I love the quiet and peace, the coffee, and maybe most of all, the feeling that the whole day is ahead of me. I never thought I’d be saying that!

16. CHEVRON

April 11th, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I am certainly a night owl but on the rare occasions when I rise earlier in the morning, I never regret it. It feels fresh and awakening. I might have to try it more. Nothing beats like feeling the world is your oyster on an beautiful morning. x

17. Weekend Reading | Links I’m Loving Lately, Vol. 1

April 13th, 2013 at 6:01 am

[…] my best to adopt wit + delight‘s logic for being an early riser (as I write this at 1:32 […]

18. joyful.mara

April 15th, 2013 at 12:33 am

I totally agree and I’m dying to do this too! I always feel better when I start my day before I “HAVE TO.” How did you manage to reset your clock? I’ve tried a few different things but nothing seems to stick.

19. Shivani

June 13th, 2013 at 9:40 am

Any tips for switching from night owl to early riser? I just graduated from college, which means my sleep schedule is a mess and it’s about time to get it normal again!

June 28th, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Power through the pain for two weeks! I’ve found that’s how long it takes to make new habits 🙂

21. Rachel Bowie The weekend is here!

November 7th, 2014 at 12:42 am

[…] Early bird v. night owl. […]

22. The Rachel Papers The weekend is here!

January 25th, 2015 at 7:51 pm