Europe 2013: Amsterdam(n)

Travel & Leisure

2013-06-01 10.52.08

Two months ago, I spent 10 days traversing Europe with one of my best friends, Diana Colangelo. We left Minneapolis with a vague itinerary, a vow to forget the workload left behind, and the enthusiasm needed to explore three very different cities almost entirely by foot. Dee and I shared a lot the ten days that followed: a bed, bathroom, clothing, theories around love and romance, heartbreak and failures, the regrets that linger in our pasts and hopes for the future. It was a trip that proved to be good for the heart.

2013-06-01 16.44.45

Photo May 31, 4 41 02 PM

Our first stop was Amsterdam! We booked a small studio through Airbnb, which was a great resource for Amsterdam in particular. We stayed in the very trendy neighborhood of Jordaan, placing us walking distance from the center of the city, yet far enough removed from tourists in pot leaf t-shirts.

2013-05-31 08.39.26

2013-06-01 10.19.57

First and foremost, we avoided being struck by a cyclist, and neither of us fell down the steep, narrow staircase to our flat. This in itself was a miracle. We spent most of our days wandering around the center of the city with chocolate waffles and cheese-covered fries in hand. We shared beers with locals in the financial district, where I discovered Heineken is pretty tasty when you’re actually IN Amsterdam. Other highlights included brisk walks along the canal…

2013-05-31 10.02.25

A memorable lunch at Singel 404

2013-05-31 16.08.08

Shopping at Tenue de Nimes

Photo Jun 01, 4 15 27 PM

Photo May 31, 7 10 52 PM

6 hours of non-stop dancing at Studio 80 and long chats in coffee shops over Coca-Cola.

We learned a valuable travel lesson by assuming we could print train tickets at Amsterdam Central. By the grace of some higher power, we found internet and a free printer (that worked!), and were on our way to PARIS.

Photo May 31, 6 57 07 PM

Our time in Amsterdam was short, but we both fell in love with the city right away. I can’t wait to return with the time to explore the museums, restaurants, and neighborhoods we missed. And maybe next time I’ll be brave enough to get on a bike!

I couldn’t have anticipated the beauty that was ahead in Paris… coming up next!

Photo Jun 02, 1 51 06 PM

BY Kate - August 10, 2013

1. Marloes

August 10th, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed my most favourite city and soon to be home town. ^^

2. Mailinh

August 10th, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Kate — I just want to say that I recently discovered your blog and am in awe of your content. 🙂 Also, how fun! I’ve always wanted to to travel to Europe.

3. Janelle Andrea

August 10th, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Ah, I’ve been wanting to travel to Amsterdam for ages! I’ve heard such wonderful things about the sights and culture – and it looks like an amazing time. Looking forward to your Paris post!

4. Kristina

August 12th, 2013 at 10:59 am

Too much gorgeousness. I remember I was glued to your instagram. So stunning!

August 12th, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Aw, thanks so much, Kristina!

6. Sally

August 12th, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Gorgeous photos, the light in them is beautiful! I haven’t been to Amsterdam for years, must go back soon!

7. Desi

August 12th, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I loved watching your instagram feed while this trip unfolded.

8. Quyen

August 14th, 2013 at 11:52 am

It looks like you had a lot of fun. I absolutely loved my time in Amsterdam. The bikes, the flowers, the pickled herring. It was fantastic!

9. Bon Voyaging BV Radar, 8/16 »

August 16th, 2013 at 1:34 pm

[…] Wit & Delight learns valuable travel lessons (and takes gorgeous pictures) in Amsterdam […]

10. MONDAY’S PRETTY THINGS :: 5 Housefront Scenes from Around the World |

August 19th, 2013 at 10:05 am

[…] Amsterdam via Wit and Delight […]

11. Hilary

August 26th, 2013 at 11:59 am

Such beautiful photos! I’ve been in Prague and London this summer, and off to Switzerland in a few weeks. Your photos are making me so excited to get back to Europe one more time.

Hilary

PS – what style sneaks are those blue adidas? I love ’em!

12. Ruthi Auda: We Travel

February 2nd, 2014 at 9:01 pm

[…] Image source here […]

13. Alex Cardo

April 14th, 2014 at 4:09 am

It’s absolutely true, that you’ve noticed about a taste of the Beer in the place, where it was made! I’ve tasted “Franciscaner” in Germany, “Baltica” in St. Petersburg, “Mariestads” in Sweden, “Chernigovskoe” in Ukraine…The taste was always better…Unfortunately I’ve not been in Holland, but the first thing I’ll make on arrival – I’ll taste the “Heineken” beer!