The Ballsiest of Kitchen Rug Ideas?

Interiors & Decor

Kitchen Rug Ideas

When Joe and I moved into our new place, there were things we loved, and things we’d have to change. The natural light was incredible, but the space was missing the warmth and charm of buildings we had previously lived in, both built in the 1920s. The bright walls and high ceilings make our new space feel larger than it is, but modern furniture and graphic area rugs don’t bring the coziness needed to truly enjoy watching football on a Sunday afternoon.

So when I set out to make a series of changes to the place, adding a traditional rug was at the top of my list. As I scanned the small space, I decided that the kitchen, of all places, was the perfect spot for an area rug. Ballsy, considering how klutzy we both can be…

Kitchen Rug Ideas

Our kitchen has a clean, black and white look, with stainless steel appliances, and blond wood flooring. It’s very handsome, and very modern. There’s a mix of open and closed shelving, with Heath Ceramic dishes, and Weck jars bring some added warmth to the space. I also found that “S” hooks are perfect coffee mug holders, and adding a few plants and herbs to the shelves look really charming… also long as they’re kept alive!

Screen Shot 2013-10-18 at 11.18.11 AM

When it came to finding an area rug, we shopping around for rugs for a while. Most persian rugs were too busy, others were too bold in color. After weeks of sitting on a few finalists, we ultimately ended up going with this beauty. I love the amount of navy, and the geometric, but complex look of the design!

Kitchen Rug Ideas

The best part of adding a rug to the kitchen is how enjoyable it makes spending time in the space. Padding around the kitchen with a tactical, cozy area rug beneath our feet? Awesome. It’ll be even more enjoyable in the winter!

We have a long way to go with finishing the decor the space, and by the end of the year, you’ll be getting a full tour of our little abode. We can’t wait to share it with you!

If you’re interested in any of the pieces in our kitchen, you’ll find the links to the identical, or similar items here: Area Rug c/o Medallion / Planter / Mugs / Weck Jars / Kitchen Shelves / Stools / Wood Bowls / Heath Plate / Gold Cutlery / Wood Cutting Board / Sharon Montrose Piglet Print

BY Kate - October 18, 2013

1. Caitlin

October 18th, 2013 at 12:31 pm

This is such a great idea, I love what the rug adds to the space!

2. Stephanie

October 18th, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I LOVE this rug, thank you for sharing! The kitchen looks amazing. We’ve been contemplating a kitchen rug and I think you helped us move in the right direction.

3. LW

October 18th, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Looks beautiful! I don’t think I could do it since I have an abnormal need to launder everything in the apt. periodically, including rugs, blankets, curtains… and I get stuff all over my current kitchen rug as it is, so having one I can thrown in the washing machine is super important. BUT, yours is beautiful, I can totally imagine how cozy it must feel!

4. colleen

October 18th, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I think the link for the mugs is MIA and I’d love to know where they are from!

5. redbrickbuilding

October 18th, 2013 at 4:30 pm

yeah – it’s awesome. Well done. Persians with navy but no red are tough to find.

6. Amanda | Ex Vitae

October 18th, 2013 at 5:13 pm

that rug is perfection, as are you.

7. Savannah

October 18th, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Beautiful rug! I have a similar Persian in my bedroom, but I’ve toyed with the thought of moving it into the kitchen. Also — Heath Ceramics are sold at the Ferry Building! I drool every time I walk by their shop!

8. Alecia

October 19th, 2013 at 5:10 pm

LOOKING GOOD LADY! THAT RUG WAS SUCH A GOOD IDEA!

9. Victoria | Oh So Pretty

October 19th, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Love the addition of the rug, Kate! It warms and transforms the whole place! Your kitchen is beautiful!

10. Corina Nika

October 21st, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I just love your kitchen! Looks so clean and yet with a wonderful character!

11. Melissa (Starlit Nights)

October 21st, 2013 at 9:18 pm

There is nothing like a great Persian rug, and that one is beautiful. It adds so much texture and dimension to your new space.

October 21st, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I am so smitten with that kitchen rug, Kate. And totally jealous of your counter space! Maybe I should upgrade my apartment situation already.

October 22nd, 2013 at 12:57 pm

You’re sweet, Kate!

14. Sarah

October 22nd, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Amazeballs.

15. mary jo

October 26th, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I love that you chose this kind of rug. I’m re-doing my kitchen right now and have been looking at navajo rugs, but I think this one would look great too and probably be more comfortable. Love!

16. Kyle ( http://plushrugs.com )

October 28th, 2013 at 11:36 am

This is awesome. Traditional rugs are such a mainstay in dens and living rooms but that just makes them an even better focal point in an unexpected place such as the kitchen. This rug definitely does a lot to warm up the mostly white space. The color does a lot for the space but the pattern is also a huge reason as to why this works so well. The darker color pallet and intricate patterns of traditional and oriental rugs also make them ideal for a space that is prone to spills and stains. Especially if you get a wool rug which is an inherently stain-resistant rug material.

17. Jamie

November 5th, 2013 at 3:59 am

This could be my kitchen – except for the rug. Which I now plan to change to we’re all matchy-matchy. It will definitely help the littles with traction for dance parties in the kitchen. Great idea – and might I say, cheers to having balls!?!

18. The Ballsiest of Kitchen Rug Ideas? / Medallion Rug

November 18th, 2013 at 11:53 am

[…] Originally Posted in Wit and Delight. […]

19. Erin Austen Abbott

September 19th, 2014 at 8:39 am

I have a similar rug in my kitchen. It’s amazing how well it works. People always notice it and comment how much they love a traditional rug in the kitchen. Yours looks great!

20. Nijmah Ali

August 5th, 2016 at 10:00 am

Where exactly did you get that rug?