The Perfect Day in D.C., In Three Outfits

Travel & Leisure

Home

I’ve always been particularly fond of city getaways. For urban explorers, a weekend in a new city offers a variety of sensory-driven experiences and you often come back re-inspired. The question is: can one fully experience all a city has to offer in a single day? Probably not. That’s not to say you can’t have fun trying, however. The last time I attempted to do this, I went to Nashville with 2 girlfriends. We ate 6 meals in one day just to make sure we weren’t missing out on Nashville’s culinary delights. Halfway through this feat, we renamed the city Noshville. My body wasn’t too happy with me, but it was totally worth it. And now, I’m ready to attempt this feat once again.

Tomorrow I travel to Washington D.C. with fellow blogger, Apartment 34 editor Bianca Sotelo, for a weekend of cultural sites, antiquing, cocktailing and chili eating. We’re heading to the heart of the city to put together a weekend-sized city guide to D.C. with One Kings Lane and Starwood Luxury Collection, which will included a detailed list of places to eat, drink, shop, and explore in just one or two days. If you’re going to do it all in 36 hours, you might as well include some outfit changes.

DC-Travel-Outfit

My flight leaves MSP on Thursday morning, and with all the traveling I’ve been doing lately, packing has come to feel like turning on autopilot. This is good, because packing is the worst part of any trip ( if you exclude unpacking). Upon arriving and checking into the historic Fairfax on Embassy Row, I’ll have the afternoon to explore DC on my own. Thanks to my friends on Twitter, I have some quality recommendations lined up (and I’ll be sure to divulge these in my recap post). I’m really looking forward to taking the evening to rest and re-boot at The Fairfax. Hotels are the perfect place for just that.

DC-Site-Seeing-Look

Friday is dedicated to seeing the sites. And in D.C., you’ve got to take your pick. While the National Mall is a no-brainer, we’re headed to the historic Woodrow Wilson House, followed by a stop at Kalorama’s Spanish Steps. I LOVE traditional Georgian architecture, and this tour won’t help ease my angst when it comes to house hunting in the Midwest. We’ll conclude our day with dinner at The Fairfax, jazz on U Street and a late-night pit stop at Ben’s Chili Bowl. I’ve heard amazing things about Ben and his chili. I hope he delivers, because my expectations are super high.

DC-Going-Out-Look

Saturday includes antiquing with Andrea Stanford from One Kings Lane, who oversees their vintage and antique merchandise group, which is responsible for the Vintage & Market Finds marketplace (um- yes please). We’ll peruse Brass Knob, stop by the studio of interior designer Dylan Carter, and check out Susan Calloway Fine Arts. Seriously, I could spend a whole weekend hunting for beautiful things with a story. So this, I’m very excited about. After working up an appetite, we’re finishing off the day with rooftop cocktails and dinner at Barcelona.

Sunday, before my flight home, I’m thinking about trying Busboys and Poets for brunch, and a trip to Union Market to check out Salt & Sundry. I’d love to hear any last-minute recommendations you have! Lots of action will be happening on Instagram and Twitter this weekend, so feel free to connect with me over there!

The Perfect Day in Three Outfits:

One // Travel Outfit: Bra / Lotuff Leather Bag / Everlane Blouse – Image from NY Mag / Zara Jeans / White Birks / Gold iPhone Case / Aesop Hand Balm

Two // Site-seeing Outfit: Zara Dress / Another Feather Necklace / Black Flats / Bag

Three // Rooftop Cocktails Outfit: Zara Dress (similar) / Clare V. Fold Over Clutch / Asos Heel / Tom Ford Lipstick

BY Kate - June 18, 2014

1. Emily S.

June 18th, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Love your outfit picks! Be sure to try the chai latte at Busboys- it’s fantastic. 1905 (rooftop) is also a cool place you might like if you have time (http://www.1905dc.com/). Have fun!

2. Jen

June 18th, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I hope you enjoy the city. I think you’ll absolutely love Salt & Sundry and Barcelona. Busboys is worth the trip — more so than even Ben’s I think — make sure to try the lemon-pom and sweet potato fries. 2Amys has the best pizza in the city — and it’s toward the top of Embassy Row — right near the National Cathedral. Not touristy. You can try the Mexican iced coffee at Tryst (in Adams Morgan) or the iced tea and baked goods at Baked & Wired (in Georgetown). Have a wonderful time!

3. molly

June 18th, 2014 at 1:38 pm

i never comment but i felt compelled to give you a good impression of dc! busboys has a cool vibe, but i don’t actually love the food (eek). i’d recommend graffiato or etto for pizza, teds bulletin or dgs delicatessen for brunch. there are some fun places for drinks around u st but also shops like goodwood. and definitely check out takorean or red apron while you’re at union market! enjoy!

June 19th, 2014 at 1:33 pm

So glad you chimed in, Molly 🙂

5. yvonne

June 18th, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I went to college in DC and just went back for my 10 year reunion a few weeks ago. It’s changed so much, but is so lovely. If you have a chance to fit in even one hour at The Phillips collection, it’s an amazing art gallery set up in the collectors house. It’s just fantastic and Mr. Phillips story is great. I enjoyed it in college and still enjoy it today. Your itinerary sounds amazing and jam-packed, you will have so much fun!

June 19th, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Thank you, Yvonne! I wish I had more time. After all these recommendations I think I need to plan another weekend trip!

7. jenna

June 18th, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Have so much fun, Kate! xo

8. Heather MK

June 18th, 2014 at 4:14 pm

The Little Fountain Cafe in Adams Morgan is so intimate and sweet, with delicious entrees and wine, AND attentive staff, to boot!

June 19th, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Thank you, Heather!! I feel like D.C. is a total hidden gem. Hidden to me, at least 🙂

10. Marcy Logan

June 19th, 2014 at 11:07 am

On your way to U St jazz and Adams Morgan, you might check out the Swann Street Gallery, home of mid-century abstract artist Robert E. Kuhn (1917-2000). 1767 Swann St Nw Open Sat-Su and during the week, ring the bell.

June 19th, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Thank you, Marcy!

12. Chelsea

June 19th, 2014 at 11:52 am

These outfits are just perfect for a weekend in D.C. I was lucky enough to take a trip earlier this Spring and LOVED all of the amazing sites. Can’t wait to see your recap!

13. melissa

June 19th, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Yay! You’re coming to my city! Too bad Barcelona doesn’t have a rooftop but their garden is gorgeous!

I hope I run into you #girlcrush !

June 19th, 2014 at 1:28 pm

That would be awesome, Melissa! Give me a holler if we run into each other!

15. Valerie

June 19th, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I’m loving this gold iphone case! The whole first outfit is right up my street really <3

16. cevd

June 19th, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I agree with Molly I don’t think Busboys and Poets is worth your time. It’s fine. But, that’s about as far as I’d go. Enjoy DC! You’re missing the stupid heat, the weekend promises to lovely. It’s a really amazing city, but in that secret kind of way “).

17. sara

June 20th, 2014 at 7:30 am

I agree with Emily – U Street/14th street has really great food. For brunch – I love St. EX, bar pilar, Ted’s bullet, and matchbox (esp. their cinnamon buns). Birch and Barley and Estadio (Slushito?!) are my fav for dinner. Churchkey (just above Birch and Barley) is great for beer. If you truly want great south food- Oohh’s & Aahh’s is great (just carry cash).

Also 11th street in Columbia heights has really great food- I love Room 11. Kanagroo boxing club and El Chucho are great too.

I would also check out http://theredhendc.com/ in bloomingdale.

Not sure, who said food was not good in DC, but they are obvious not eating where I am going. I could go on and on about my favorite places.

When playing tourist with my friends from out of town, I always take them to Eastern Market. Tuncliff’s tavern has great food and just across the street from the market.

Enjoy! DC is a beautiful place, despite the heat.

18. Amy @ TAMGtL

June 20th, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Stunning. Black and white is always a good call, especially when traveling. I recently have been adding in blues as well.

19. tamar shalem

June 23rd, 2014 at 8:56 am

I really love your style, I can’t stop reading this blog .

Tamar Shalem
    Shoes designer

20. Rachel

June 23rd, 2014 at 3:40 pm

I love the variety of sandals! Comfort is so important for the summer season.

21. Aimee

June 23rd, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Love these outfits! By the way here are some great tips for masking in photoshop without getting that jagged edge on the girl’s arms. http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/articles/photoshop-masking-techniques-everyone-should-know

22. Julia

July 8th, 2014 at 10:43 am

Love everything about your picks! it would totally match these designs http://kck.st/1jUyVpn

23. Rachel Bowie The weekend is here!

November 6th, 2014 at 10:41 pm

[…] cards.Love this tea towel, inspired by Teddy Bear.Will you see this film?Summer tunes.DC in three outfits. Why I love French grocery stores. The coolest kitchen gadget for summer.Yada, yada, […]

24. The Rachel Papers The weekend is here!

January 25th, 2015 at 6:57 pm

25. Shower Head

September 29th, 2017 at 1:39 am

Absorb as much urine as possible by blotting with paper towels.Adhere to the guidelines of your picked carpet cleaner as normal.

26. Doodle Army

October 23rd, 2017 at 4:08 am

A number of the gamers choose not to play this game on Bluestacks, the factor as currently specified is the demand of a premium TV.

27. here

November 17th, 2017 at 5:09 am

Today, SunTrust Bank has almost 1,400 branches as well as over 2,100 ATMs throughout Washington, D.C. and also 11 southeastern states in America.

28. LiteBlue USPS

February 2nd, 2018 at 5:43 am

Next off, merely adhere to the guidelines offered to gain. The brand-new password a brand name new password to get LiteBlue.