A Year of Travel: My Top 5 Destinations

Travel & Leisure

Photo Aug 07, 5 57 08 AM

There’s a lot to be said about investing in experiences. Some people backpack through Europe, others take a sabbatical and live in Indonesia for 6 months. But what about the destinations we visit for a weekend? Or those places just a 5 hour drive up north? Or the locations we must visit for work? If you’re open to it, these little trips can expose us to the nuances of life outside of our comfort zones. Today I’m sharing my favorite travel destinations this year. No, there wasn’t a trip to far away lands– many of these locations were actually work-related– but if you’re paying attention to the right things, even a work trip bring R&R.

Location One: Will Steger’s Wilderness Center

Will Steger’s homestead just outside Ely, MN is a design-meets-nature haven. I was up there for a photo shoot, and with 4:45 call times and no running water, you’d think our time at the homestead pretty grueling. But the air was clear, and the water was clean. We stayed in little cabins on the water, built from materials from the land itself. I left in need of a shower, but somehow I felt a little lighter. The lesson learned from 2 days off the grid: Strip away modern necessities and you’ll get in touch with the world around you. More about the Will Steger Wilderness Center here.

Photo Mar 09, 8 36 07 AM

Location Two: The Palihouse in West Hollywood

I was in LA this March shooting for the Wit & Delight for Target line. The Palihouse was home base for me, and though it’s in the heart of bustling West Hollywood, my room off the courtyard made a work trip to LA feel like a mini vacation. The takeaway: boutique hotels with a great decor, spa, restaurant, or pool make a week on the road a little less rough.

Photo Jun 22, 11 20 35 AM

Location Three: Washington DC

I wrote an ode to this city a few months ago, but I’m still thinking about it’s influence on me. The historic preservation of American history has actually influenced the way I look at designing my home; I’m less influenced by trend, and more likely to bring in pieces that means something to me.

Photo-Mar-22-8-28-45-AM

Location Four: Cozumel, Mexico

We didn’t do much vacationing when I was a kid, even though we traveled often for dance competitions. It was in Cozumel, MX this 30 year old learned what it actually means to vacation. Joe and I went to Cozumel with his family, and it took me three days to relax and lay on the beach without feeling anxious. It was a great lesson in doing nothing, in just…being. Much easier said than it is done, but Cozumel will always means R&R in my mind.

Photo Nov 02, 11 43 35 AM (1)

Location Five: Savannah, Georgia

Joe and I celebrated 1 year of marriage in this beautiful city. The south charms me in a way that makes me want to pack my bags and move. Life is a little slower and full of little rituals. If you’re looking to head down south this winter, check out the travel guide we put together last month.

This post is sponsored by Citi.  To learn more about Citi products and services visit www.citi.com. To learn more about the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard® visit www.citi.com/passport.

BY Kate - December 13, 2014

1. Amy @ The American-Made Guide to Life

December 13th, 2014 at 9:08 am

Such a nice, diverse list of places. Savannah’s charm has stayed with me as well. So much to discover.

2. Laura @ Roam & Golightly

December 13th, 2014 at 9:46 am

I was SWOONING over your Instagrams while you were at the wilderness center!

3. Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

December 13th, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I’d really love to visit the wilderness center! -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey’s

4. When in Sonoma…

December 15th, 2014 at 5:09 am

[…] A few other top destinations to visit.  Number three and five are definitely on my short […]

5. Tilley

May 11th, 2015 at 2:45 pm

I was literally Touting like mad over your Instagrams! Bravo – Bravo!

6. Droid4x

August 3rd, 2016 at 4:20 am

good you can operate a Nexus One with Android 4.2 or a Nexus 6 with Android 6.0. The choice is definitely yours and you may very easily swap between “devices” at can. nice.

7. cinema box

December 3rd, 2016 at 12:44 am

Great With everything considered, Cinema Box is a spectacular application that is specific to take you to an additional level of excitement! Fine.

8. https://itubedownloadapps.com

February 24th, 2017 at 11:07 pm

good iTube is just one of the very best video players with amazing features like offline viewing, playlist supervisor etc, best.

9. http://acmarketapp.com

March 11th, 2017 at 12:47 am

good this suggestion could be available in useful. The methods calls for No Computer and is 100% relatively easy to fix with the remove procedure nice.

10. ghantasingh

April 24th, 2017 at 2:05 am

I’d really love to visit the wilderness center!

11. online snapchat

May 16th, 2017 at 2:27 am

Launch Snapchat and also visit with your username as well as password. If you neglected your username and/or password, click the connect to recoup them on the emulator.

12. happy wheels

August 30th, 2017 at 12:33 am

The game is best known for its dark sense of humor and its graphic violence. Expect to see a lot of blood and guts.

13. geometry dash

August 30th, 2017 at 12:33 am

We can find a way to break through Even if we can’t find heaven, I’ll walk through hell with you.

14. slope game

May 31st, 2018 at 5:07 am

Thank you very much. i think a lot of people are looking for such a content from you. hope you will have more share such.