Happy Anniversary Instagram

Health & Wellness

Screenshot 2015-10-19 10.09.56

Last week five years ago (still with me?), Instagram was launched. This social platform has revolutionized the way we look at photos, take selfies and humblebrag about besties and baes, all the while feeling #blessed.

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 6.35.32 PM

Instagram has been and continues to be a platform to capture the moments where Wit & Delight intersect with my (Kate Arends Peters’) everyday life; where the moments that gave me pause became moments to share with this audience. As I collect, bookmark or capture the things that make me pause, I can, and sometimes do, enjoy falling down the rabbit hole of hyper-idealized perfection. It’s not real life, what we see in those square spaces, and we shouldn’t confuse it as such. What it is– for me, is a reprieve from the onslaught on airports and dirty bathrooms and lackluster hotels. This has been my medium to dream.

In honor of the five years of Instagram, I want to share some of the first Instagrams I posted.

November 18, 2011 – My First Instagram.

I wasn’t an early adopter of the platform (I held off for over a year after every blogger had become obsessed) and took the “insta” portion of their name seriously…. I used it much like I use Snapchat now. (I’m @witinreallife over there if you want to see the pretty, ridiculous, and mundane smashed together daily.)

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 6.29.21 PM

Winter 2011 I was all about showing my nails

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 6.33.03 PM

My 31st post was essentially a throwback to my first post, which was four weeks earlier.

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 6.33.36 PM

Experimenting with the quintessential wardrobe shot. Look at that #armparty.

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 6.35.19 PM

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 6.42.07 PM

What I like about revisiting these images, is you can start to see the beginnings of the Wit & Delight lifestyle as I was living it.

instagram

While my Instagram has become more edited, some things never change.

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 6.36.11 PM

BY Kate - October 13, 2015

1. Sofia

October 13th, 2015 at 11:34 am

I love that you showed this! It’s amazing to watch how your brand has evolved, very inspiring!

2. Laura

October 13th, 2015 at 11:43 am

Hi Kate, is your Snapchat handle correct? Love your blog!

3. Brigid

October 13th, 2015 at 4:35 pm

I think you were one of the first Instagram accounts I ever followed — have enjoyed it the whole time!

4. Arnie

October 14th, 2015 at 12:09 am

My first post about four and a half years ago was of a flower. I posted it on there thinking it was a platform to save pictures. I refused to follow people, and didn’t realize other people could follow me. I thought it was just somewhere I could upload my pictures! Took me a while to realize it was actually a social media platform LOL! Now I’m obsessed!

Arnie

5. Leslie Musser

October 14th, 2015 at 1:19 pm

i love seeing this progression from start ’til now. it’s a way of recording how our tastes change, our eyes get trained for details, and we see what catches the attention of others.

oh, and i’m guilty of a nail shot or two.
    xx, leslie

6. Myra

December 9th, 2015 at 8:24 am

I just started out on instagram (when I started my blog)! No idea where that journey will take me but I’m definitely looking forward to it! 😀

You are a true inspiration, Kate 🙂

7. clashroyalehacker.com

March 17th, 2017 at 2:11 pm

It is good to get the clash royale gems and gold online for the game.

8. mahjongg connect free

September 6th, 2017 at 1:33 am

Hello! guys this one awesome online card game hub join this one and full on entertainment here you can share it with your friends also.

9. hacksnap

October 14th, 2017 at 6:26 am

Snapchat and Instagram passwords can be hacked easily with the right tolls in the hands of the right people. So much of your data can be made public.