You Snooze, You Win

Interiors & Decor

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 10.42.54 PM

As my belly continues to grow, so does my need for a nap. Long one, short one, it doesn’t really matter because every once in awhile a snooze is all that will do. New to this whole napping thing, I’ve come to learn the benefits of 15 minute snooze to stay refreshed and alert. I can’t believe it took me this long to get on board! In fact, my napping ventures have become a hobby– namely making sure we have lots of fluffy pillows and a quiet space ready for when fatigue strikes.

83b5ec050d9af1163587dc99a875f2c8

First, some benefits of and tips on napping (as if you needed swaying):

+ 20-30 minutes of napping is optimal if you need a jolt of energy.

+ Napping as been scientifically proven, by a little ol’ company named NASA, to improve performance.

+ Naps are best taken in the middle of the day so you can still fall asleep later.

+ Your mental and physical energy can be boosted by a nap as short as 10 minutes.

The question I have is this: why not swap coffee breaks for a napping one? If only that was acceptable office behavior!

605e93467b4a4dfa88da57acecaba53a32feec5dc22d146493f93b82f3c8d061

If you’re really serious about getting your nap on, there are plenty of ways to convert a corner of your house to the act. I’ve found sunny spaces keep me from sleeping for too long, which negates all the benefits from a shorter snooze.

412fa5dac68a4523f4e6954f0f8f9e4b

1c1d0239a3f19f0b504cf1734f804160

34c9ae014f57242e1392d3b1c8d18541

That is why napping somewhere other than your bed is always a good idea. A cot or pretty daybed is a great piece of furniture for naps and for entertaining guests.

64e01cf533680c884a3f065bc788ce704a7b9206a9bcc53945bd6257ff097c2b

e77245f13df1b59571382644d51e0d46

If you have the space in your backyard or basement, please do yourself a favor and get a comfy outdoor chair or hammock. Add some slippers and some tea and you’re set.

a0bf447bb70b5ba8ef992648b0a4cf3c5a03987cf4dcc660c270104ab5a9764aa9734c1200aff430d1b782fd704063c8

And, if you’re not able to secure a designated napping space, stock up on huge pillows and gauzy blankets for the couch or bed. A lightweight duvet will envelop you in cotton-y goodness and you won’t be tempted to slip under the heavy duvet. This is a hard place to leave after only 10-20 minutes!

Apply these tips to any other space you wish to relax in and you’ll be in utter bliss.

SHOP THE STORY

Burberry Mega Check Cashmere Blanket • Burberry • $1,795

Top image: Wit & Delight

Image Sources: 1 / 2  / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12

BY Kate Arends - April 18, 2016

1. Lindsey

April 18th, 2016 at 10:38 am

Love this Kate. Remembering the siesta in Rome from the ISU study abroad. Did you study there for a semester too?

April 18th, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Hi Lindsey! I actually took an internship in London instead of the semester abroad. Wish I would have done it, though!

3. Gretchen

April 19th, 2016 at 2:54 pm

Fell asleep in the middle of my baby shower! I’m so excited for your family!

April 20th, 2016 at 12:53 pm

that is hilarious, Gretchen!!

5. DecorNation

April 19th, 2016 at 3:05 pm

some of these hammock ideas and DIY bedroom decor are really inspiring. At it is really nice that someone online wrote about this by still being classy with their blog and not making it boring. 😀
    Thanks for sharing these napping benefits with us.

6. christa

April 19th, 2016 at 7:29 pm

Love that first one of Winnie! ?

April 20th, 2016 at 12:59 pm

She knows how to CHILL!

8. Corina Nika

April 20th, 2016 at 8:38 am

Oh man, all these spaces are so snooze inviting!

9. Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

April 20th, 2016 at 6:28 pm

This is so fantastic! The netted thing (napping cot?) from the ceiling is super cool (6th picture). One thing I tell myself is that sleeping is productivity. Being well-rested helps with your efficiency, and it’s a much better way to use your time than aimlessly browsing the Internet 😛 -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey’s

10. VerbalGoldBlog

April 24th, 2016 at 6:58 pm

I am completely in love with everything about this article. My ENO hammock is definitely one of my favorite nap spots. College has come to teach me that every single thing you said about napping is 110% true.

11. Natashia

May 4th, 2016 at 2:29 am

You’ll be a napping pro when bub arrives – I have a 3 month old and all I did the first few weeks was take 1 hour naps!

12. https://trafficriderapk.net

May 14th, 2016 at 3:28 am

I do not even know the way I finished up here, however I assumed this post

13. Mun