Building Your Lingerie Closet: Essential Pieces & Finding Your Perfect Fit.

Fashion & Style

Untitled-5

I recently spoke with a new mother about how being pregnant can look and feel so foreign. The physical changes are more extreme than I ever imagined, and finding ways to feel good in my own skin have been paramount to staying positive and enjoying this process. Joe got me a lovely pair of silk pajamas for Christmas and it really did the trick.

Pregnant or not, there are a lot of us out there who could be looking (and feeling!) better in the things we wear. So today I thought we could have a conversation around finding a properly fitted bra and building a lingerie closet that suits your needs.

tumblr_nvcgpjaaR81qc91i1o1_1280

1/ Why is finding the perfect fit important?

A properly sized bra is the foundation of your outfit. If you’re supported where you need it, your clothes will look better. As my body changed through pregnancy, I increased 3 sizes in few months. I didn’t exactly look pregnant yet, but my chest was definitely giving something away. I couldn’t believe how different my clothes began to look and I realized I needed a bra that looked good, gave support, and was comfortable enough for really long days.

tumblr_ni1t01NB5c1qc91i1o1_1280

2/ How do I find the perfect bra?

Two weeks after the 20 week mark, my bump made itself known to the world and with it came the need the manage other… assets. I couldn’t quite pinpoint why certain clothes just looked off despite my growing belly.
After rushing to a department store to get fitted, I learned that you really should have someone measure you and pull sizes every time you shop. There really is no standard size when you’re switching between brands, so you may be a 34B with one and a 36A for another. It’s not the size that matters; it’s the fit.

tumblr_ne9runAuwV1rxf62to1_1280

3/ How should I be caring for my investment?

I use to just throw everything in the dryer and wondered why my bras looked so ratty after only a few washes. It’s usually best to hand wash your delicates, although many newer washing machines have a decent gentle cycle. If you follow one general rule, it is this: don’t throw your undergarments in the dryer or hang them on a radiator to dry. It will ruin your investment!

Now that we’ve covered some lingerie basics, let’s talk essentials. Here’s what every lingerie closet needs:

The Essentials List

Untitled-5

The Everyday Day Bra.

Three bras that fit like a glove and makes your clothes look great.

BASIC-BRAS12 / 3 / 4

The Swiss Army Knife Bra.

One do-it-all bra for strapless and racerback outfits.

convertable-razor-bra
1 / 2 /3 / 4

Sexy Black Number.

Lacy and racy! Find one that looks great under a sheer top.

black-bar

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

The Alter-Ego Number

Something a little bold and wild for when you are feeling just that.

bright-bras

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Barely-There Thong

A week’s worth of comfortable and breathable thongs for trousers, dresses, and pencil skirts.

barely-there-thongs

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

A Trusty Full Coverage Panty.

A week’s worth of practical panties that support and shape your bum.

BASIC-PANTIES

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Funderware

Because getting dressed should be fun, even if no one sees these but you.

funderware

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Everyday Robe

For whipping up eggs, sleeping in, and playing hookie.

robes

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Presentable PJs

So you can retrieve the paper with a clear conscious.

PJS

1 / 2  / 3 / 4

What about you? Any recommendations for our readers out there? Building this list gives me another little perk to look forward to once I put away the nursing bras!

Image Sources:  1 / 2 /3

BY Kate Arends - April 25, 2016

1. Ashley

April 26th, 2016 at 7:38 am

A little over a week away from my first baby, looking for nursing bras! Any recommendations?

April 26th, 2016 at 8:30 am

Hi Ashley, congrats on the big news! I haven’t purchased any yet but plan to get a bunch from Storq: http://storq.com/

3. Beth

April 26th, 2016 at 7:55 am

Nordstrom will make any bra a nursing bra! It’s about $16. This way you can find the best fitting bra for you and then add the nursing function

April 26th, 2016 at 8:30 am

Good to know! That’s awesome.

5. K

April 26th, 2016 at 9:50 am

The link is broken for the nude trusty full coverage panty! Help!

6. Pamela Jones

April 26th, 2016 at 10:13 am

I’m a 2x so you have to make size for big people like me I really like what you did but not my size

7. Amanda

April 26th, 2016 at 12:15 pm

What a lovely selection! Who knew I needed a lingerie closet?!

8. Lena

April 27th, 2016 at 4:07 am

YAS, this has been troubling my mind lately!

I have been struggling quite a lot while bra shopping my whole life. I am quite small, but the girls, they are not messing around. All my twenty-something years has been spent in something my grandmother totally would wear, and even that was not good fit wise.

The bra size matrix have some SERIOUS issues. On the other hand, there are some geniuses out there that only can be described as friendly and inclusive lingerie oracles. If you ever shop for underwear again, just please pay a visit to the subreddit ABraThatFits. Do the measurements, use the calculator. Every item of clothing I have fit better, I look thinner, and my back pain is so much better. And the bras actually look pretty.

Sorry for the lecture, but at last, pay a visit to The Bra Band Project. A DD or even an G-cup is nothing, really.

9. Juliet

April 28th, 2016 at 8:26 am

I’ve just lost 52 pounds so I’m rebuilding my entire wardrobe! I can’t wait to wear something other than the $8 for a pack of 6 undies from Target (not that I will completely abandon those comfy, cottony granny panties!)

April 28th, 2016 at 10:49 am

That’s amazing, Juliet. Treat yourself!!

11. clara

May 1st, 2016 at 1:19 am

What a lovely selection!

12. Meagan

May 13th, 2016 at 4:11 pm

SO happy to see a post like this! I actually work for a lingerie company in the Twin Cities that specializes in bra fitting (nursing bras included!) – your blog post is SPOT ON! I always recommend to see a professional fitter, however, rather than try to fit yourself. 🙂

13. Gamecih

September 18th, 2017 at 6:49 am

After that comment down listed below we will link you when we can. Video Gamecih is truly great app while Gamecih APK plays an essential duty.

14. vivavideodownload

October 7th, 2017 at 5:33 am

There are funny GIFS and also sticker labels in movies, tvs that has no concept of video modifying can as well as be a professional editor.

15. Tubidy for iPhone

November 1st, 2017 at 2:52 am

cigarette or substance abuse although they won’t be so constant or consistent. There will also be tracks that will certainly refer to betting, casino sites and so on also not really often,

16. livelymusically

December 8th, 2017 at 4:45 am

Introduced in 2014, musical.Ly is expanding quickly, with concerning 80 million young teenagers utilizing it around the world.

17. Tanaya Seth

September 4th, 2018 at 3:27 pm

I read a great article on how to choose the right bra according to your body type! https://intimatenation.com/how-to-choose-the-right-bra-for-your-body/