Six Paint Colors Worthy of Ditching White Walls

Interiors & Decor

157307cdeb8d3c199d80964b211e19ad

While I love the look of clean and crisp white interiors, a white wall will always be an opportunity. I’m so excited to see muted colors make a comeback and there are so many ways you can incorporate color into your decor without taking too big a risk. For example, we painted our powder room ceiling peach! Because, why not get a little wild? If you don’t love it, paint over it.

I’ve pulled together inspiration and paint swatches for the 6 hottest shades this season. Enjoy the eye candy and get your paint brushes ready.

1.Muted Green

01fb2022196d8388491d2791e95f5ff3 (1)

c33fb960c001736d7f1f8247c2e5e8d7

512acb4b3d5106a51237873eb78e48fa (1)

Calming as can be, muted greens look especially dreamy with lots of natural light flooding in. Our sunroom is a sage green and we love the way it plays with the all the greenery outside our windows.

Seafoam-Green

1 / 2 / 3 /4

2. Ashy Grey

99e714c1f12619d49b2a73052ee290b7

6ae703a00945ef5caef42bc72d405659

d1f49ab3e12602dd1395d766b4a7e36d

If you’re afraid to ditch the white, you’d be surprised how far a light shade of grey will go. It goes with everything and can look super sophisticated in any space.

Greys

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

3. Peachy Pinks

242566130d506f7169f709a43dee36fe-1

Bild fotograferad för Ikea Livet hemma, 160121. Beställare Johanna Ridemar och Anna Lenskog Belfrage, Futurniture.

b0f5cab83f63ed000f71756aeb4c79a1

fcb4c391d39d275163b1233e8ff5fb8f

Without a doubt, the “it” color of the year. The trick is to go towards the warmer spectrum with pinks. Too cool and it’ll look like Barbie’s playhouse.Pinks

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

4. Dusty Blue

573fb4377fb8b3c5f7c059086c03f99a

5200508a274653387fd651ff82b87264

2a390bf9b68f0ff7926234840b6d0ac8 (1)

I have one big regret with our remodel. We had plans to paint the white cabinets a pale blue. I backed out, worrying that in a couple years it would look dated and too busy with the patterned floor. I really, really wish I would’ve gone for it… so much so I’ve thought about getting the painters back out to the house. So, what do you think? Should I go for it? Dusty blue is my favorite hue!!

dusty-blues

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

5. Buttery Yellow

0f07a932fdcc8267406d603a979e6fe3

2dfd5cfec5f0ab7265a769512193e8fd

8c5bfc4b3a674943e205a90f184975b5

Just think of it as cream on steroids. Match it with the palest of grays and you’ve got a seriously chic color combo. Afraid to coat your walls with yellow? Consider doing just the ceiling or a door.

Yellows

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

6. Muted Navy

2fc8ebe02d1211b62d8b243e0e6d2601

a70bde6d3991c30a54f5043a8864ca90

ede9a1ff206186ef8165e1a35b6ae0e3

Navy paint is the little black dress of interior design. It’s always in style and it is always sophisticated. dark-blues

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Image Sources: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 16 / 17 / 18 / 19 / 20

BY Kate Arends - April 28, 2016

1. Cynthia

April 28th, 2016 at 11:01 am

Nice! I am so loving the muted navy right now. The only color that’s a challenge for me to put on walls is yellow – it always looks a bit anxious. A cooler lemon yellow accent works though.
    Likely By Sea

April 29th, 2016 at 1:04 pm

definitely a tricky color. I think it is super cool on the ceiling!

3. Amanda

April 28th, 2016 at 11:15 am

I’m dying to finish work in my house so I can coat my walls with a dusty or navy blue (and maybe, since you mentioned it, my cabinets too).

4. christa

April 28th, 2016 at 11:04 pm

I like your cabinets as they are, but if it makes you happy to go blue, do it! I’m sure it will look fantastic.

April 29th, 2016 at 1:03 pm

thanks christa 🙂

6. Weekend Links

April 30th, 2016 at 8:18 am

[…] 6 Paint Colors Worthy of Ditching White Walls // Wit & Delight […]

7. Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

April 30th, 2016 at 7:45 pm

I love the ashy grey! But then again I also like the peachy pink and buttery yellow! -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey’s

8. Danielle

May 1st, 2016 at 2:58 pm

Great selection of colours! I’m loving the peachy pink at the moment, but have to say muted green is growing on me, might have to give it a go 🙂

9. Lizzy L.

May 4th, 2016 at 10:13 am

So pretty. I recently used BM’s Pale Oak upstairs, and BM’s Sterling downstairs. Love them.

I wish these images were pin-able.

10. Ramona

May 4th, 2016 at 5:40 pm

So my muted green kitchen walls are on their way to be ‘in’ this year? ^^ thats good to hear!

11. Meg | Hello Farmhouse

May 12th, 2016 at 10:21 am

Absolutely love this! We are going navy in our living, but I always have plans for some peachy pink walls in our future. Great choices!

12. Sandy

May 23rd, 2016 at 9:13 pm

I LOVE those muted colors! And what a fortuitous time to discover this article as I’m struggling with the decision as to what colors to paint my home’s interior. I originally thought I would do variations of white which I love but I do love muted colors too! After reading your blog, I am going to go with pale grays,blues and aqua. BTW, before I bought this house, I lived in an apt and painted my bedroom yellow – BM Weston Flax. In a sunny room it is gorgeous!

May 24th, 2016 at 11:42 am

Sounds like so much fun, Sandy! You cannot go wrong with pale grays and blues. Plus the aqua will be a really fun injection of color!

14. Lisa

May 24th, 2016 at 5:47 am

Hi! I’m wondering what color is used in the very first leading picture? I’m hunting for the right blue/grey/green… Thanks!

15. Tina

May 24th, 2016 at 8:58 pm

I found the most wonderful color, it’s Ralph Lauren Burlap. It looks a warm beige & chgs to a muted sage green throughout the day. It’s awesome!!!

16. https://moviehdapp.org

May 26th, 2016 at 9:45 am

Quite impressive design.

17. https://cartoon-hd.org

May 26th, 2016 at 9:46 am

The design and the looks are elegant.

18. 192.168.1.1

June 14th, 2016 at 10:48 am

longtemps cherché cette information, merci les gars pour le poste!

19. To Be Held - Wit & Delight

September 7th, 2016 at 10:30 am

[…] when rooms are calming, and if the act of dressing can be mindful, and if moods can be affected by a wall color, then it’s no surprise that having a solid support system helps maintain a sound mind and […]

20. Carol

October 20th, 2016 at 6:26 am

What color carpet in living room when using grey?

21. W&D's Favorite Wallpapers - Wit & Delight

December 13th, 2016 at 10:00 am

[…] our house. I’ve become a woman obsessed: the bigger and bolder, the better. After rounding up six muted colors to paint your white walls with, I figured it was time to introduce you all to some of my favorite […]

22. yes! your space can be minimal and colorful. minim… – What To Wear Ideas

December 29th, 2016 at 5:55 pm

[…] Source: witanddelight.com […]

23. Richard A. Blake

January 2nd, 2017 at 8:28 am

I’m glad that I read your blog.It was a very helpful post.I like how you have defined the importance of navy blue color-“A little black dress of interior designer”.I am going to paint my home interior and I am sure my home will rock it in navy blue and white combo.
    Keep posting.

24. WD x Delta Faucet: Kitchen Moodboard Design! - Wit & Delight

February 15th, 2017 at 9:35 am

[…] Silver Faucet by Delta ($595), Silver Pull Handle by Emtek ($10.88), Herringbone Tile by daltile, Navy Cabinets, Penny Tile Backslash by […]

25. http://bacsonsonghong.com/

March 19th, 2017 at 11:58 am

So pretty

26. Morgana Chang

June 19th, 2017 at 1:03 pm

Great colors, I love this elegant style! Thank you for sharing with us, it’s a very helpful article!

27. Generate Tokens

July 9th, 2017 at 2:08 pm

I absolutely love these! Some of them, I could totally imagine for myself. Very elegant!

28. time warner cable login

March 12th, 2018 at 12:10 am

Eastern Wisconsin’s new cable television firm promotes quicker net rates for its fundamental service and also simpler rates in its cord packages internet.

29. HotDeals

April 3rd, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Get Mothers’ Day Coupons to save on your order.

30. gta san andreas data apk

June 7th, 2018 at 1:26 am

I agree that the App Store is crowded and it is difficult to get noticed, but any business needs marketing and advertising. does a great job of designing and promoting your web site and business.

31. high disk usage windows 10

July 16th, 2018 at 1:23 am

Great this article is very helpful. Thank you for the valuable information.

32. mode femme populaire Les papiers peints préférés de W & D - mode femme populaire

November 13th, 2018 at 7:22 pm

[…] une femme obsédée: plus elle est grosse et audacieuse, mieux c’est. Après avoir arrondi six couleurs en sourdine pour peindre vos murs blancs, je me suis dit qu’il était temps de vous présenter tous mes […]

33. Frank E. Sumter

April 18th, 2019 at 11:06 pm

Paint colours Guide is really good and picture is much attractive