It wouldn’t be spring if we we’re talking about trends: the 70s are back, mules are in, and there are more pant options than ever. Because I can’t wear these looks this summer, please do so in honor of pregnant women everywhere!! We pulled together our favorite looks that work with what you already own. If you jumped on the culotte or flare train but still haven’t figured out just how to pull them off, hopefully, we’ve got you covered. Included in each section we detailed out 3 ways to pull off the look. That’s 15 days of outfits you don’t have to worry about.
1/ Wide Leg
Wide leg pants can be tricky to pull off, especially with a petite frame or curves. But! They don’t have to be. In fact, billowy bottoms are the perfect pairing for a crisp blazer and blouse. A great look for the work week.
1.Wide leg pants can easily work for date night, especially in a lighter color and matched with a lacy top.
2. Consider pulling a gray pair out of your closet for shopping on Saturday and rock them a little bit slouchy with a loose button-up or tank. Chicy-chic-chic.
3. Extra points awarded if they’re in a non-neutral like khaki green or red.
Vince Mixed Media Wide Leg Pants • Vince • $295
Stella McCartney Stella Mccartney Maude Printed Crepe De Chine Wide-Leg Pants • Stella McCartney • $845
Elizabeth and James Rory Striped Silk Wide-Leg Pants • Elizabeth and James • $395
TOME Belted Cotton-Poplin Wide-Leg Pants • Tome • $595
Alice + Olivia Eloise High-Rise Crepe Wide-Leg Pants • Alice + Olivia • $300
Oh the culotte… It seems like the cropped pant is staying a while so a pair or two is worth it. I posted about my love for this look last spring and I’m still into it. Finding a pair that hits your leg at the perfect spot is tough but once you find “the one,” it’s smooth sailing. How to wear them:
1.If you already have a black or grey pair in your wardrobe, spring for something more unexpected like bold stripes or a bright hue, paired with a simple white top and denim jacket.
2. Conquer two trends at once and make your waist look teeny with a pair of high-waisted culottes for the office. Add stripes and a structured bag and you’re good to go.
3. Don’t let your black culottes gather dust! They can get an update for spring and summer with a heel and something that shows a bit of shoulder.
Flared pants or jeans might be your opportunity to take some sartorial chances. They’re super flattering– hello slimmer thighs and longer legs!– so you can afford to take a few risks with them.
1.Flares in a fun pattern or metallic sheen sure make a statement. Pair with whatever neutral top your eye catches first in the morning. Extra credit (again) for turning the look into #girlboss suit.
2. Break out your neckerchief and your biggest shoulder bag to make a classic blue denim pair casual Friday appropriate. A touch of stripes for a Parisian-chic vibe doesn’t hurt either.
3. Now you don’t have to go super crazy but experiment with flares that flare out just a little bit more than the average pair. Kinda circusy but I’m into it. Go for a version in black or your favorite neutral to give them a try. Flowy white tanks tops and wrist bags are your best friend!
Marni Wide Legged Floral Printed Trousers • Marni • $1,250
Frame Denim Le High Flare Jeans • Frame Denim • $220
Clover Canyon Jersey High-Waist Flare Pants, Burgundy • Clover Canyon • $130
Alexa Chung x AG Jeans Dark Night The Laura Trousers • $146
Maybe the easiest of the bunch to pull off, high-waisted pants of all kinds (jeans, trousers, etc.) go with practically anything in your clothing arsenal. Mix and match away!
1. Use your favorite pair of high-waisted Levis as a way to go totally classic. A white tee shirt, chunky watch, and loafers are all you need. I’ll admit this is what I’m usually wearing. Doesn’t hurt to add a super cute bike with basket. Not necessary, but why not?
2. Bring the attention up to an interesting top with the help of your high-waisters. Try an off the shoulder number or a crop top if you’ve been working hard on your upper half in the gym. A carry-all and a patterned cardigan or kimono pull the look together.
3. Finally an excuse to show off that pair of awesome new shoes. Find a cropped pair of high-waisted linen pants or cuff a pair of jeans to give those strappy sandals some love. Roll up the sleeves of a well-loved tee shirt and you’re set for Sunday brunch.
See by Chloé High-Waisted Trousers • See by Chloe • $315
8pm High Waisted Trousers • $138.36
I’M Isola Marras high waisted trousers • I’M Isola Marras • $254.26
Carven flared high waist trousers • Carven • $316.53
5/ Frayed Edges
Saved the best for last! My favorite new pant trend has to be the frayed edge jeans. While they’re not for those who want to look super sharp, they’re a fun addition to a rotation of plain blue jeans.
1.Jeans with ripped or frayed edges or best paired with crisper elements to avoid looking sloppy. An ankle strap high heel and white blouse are a good way to go.
2. If you’re looking for a more casual way to pull these bad boys off, try tucking in the top of your choosing and adding a duster jacket or cardigan. Little bits of leather in a pair of loafers or handbag are classic additions.
3. Chilly spring date nights call for light sweaters and close-toed shoes. Amp up the look with a pair of frayed-edge jeans. Add a bright lipstick if you want an extra wow factor.
SIMON MILLER ‘Tazo’ colourblock frayed wide leg cropped jeans • Simon Miller • $280
MSGM frayed hem jeans • MSGM • $222.11
Mother The Looker Ankle Fray Jeans • Mother • $178
ACNE STUDIOS ‘Boy Indigo Fray’ jeans • Acne Studios • $330
Top Image: Tommy Ton
BY Kate Arends - May 3, 2016
Thank you for being here. For being open to enjoying life’s simple pleasures and looking inward to understand yourself, your neighbors, and your fellow humans! I’m looking forward to chatting with you.
Easily navigate all our recommended products across beauty, fashion, decor, and wellness.