Stay Cool: 7 (Easy!) Summer Updos

Beauty

Summer Updos — Wit & Delight

Woof. We’re in the dog days of summer and the last thing I want is my hair sticking to the back of my neck. I’m also currently debating growing my hair out again, which means my lob is at a weird in-between phase with bangs that don’t really do much but curl in 17 different angles and hang in my face. Needless to say, I’m looking for some simple ways to wear my hair this summer that are both cute and easy.

The results? A week’s worth of hairstyles for this heat for all lengths. We tried to cover updos for any occasion this summer, whether you’re attending a wedding or just trying to survive a 100 degree day. My favorite? The updo with a scarf! Perfect for nights out when you want to feel a bit fancy. Braids, topknots, messy ponytails… there’s really no wrong way to go. I did keep this edit super simple because hey, we’re all busy and not everyone (me) has a knack for french braiding.

Summer Updos — Wit & Delight

Tutorial One: The Messiest of Buns. If my essence was translated into a hairstyle, this one would be it.

Tutorial Two: The Top Knot. Even if you think you’ve perfected the technique, this tutorial from Cup of Jo is a good refresher.

Tutorial Three: The Milk Braid. I can’t pull this one off but I know a lot of ladies that can rock this indie look.

Tutorial Four: The Scarf-Do. It’s a tough balancing act, but Eva Mendes gives some good tips on wearing a headscarf without looking too retro. Bravo.

Summer Updos — Wit & Delight

Tutorial Five: The Undone Chignon. Have a bunch of weddings to attend this summer? This ‘do is for you.

Tutorial Six: The Knotty Twist. With just a couple twists here and there, I was reminded that it doesn’t take much effort to look put together.

Tutorial Seven: The Low Bun. Easy, classic. Looks better than a hair tie!

Plus: 10 hairstyles you can do in less than 10 minutes!

Shop The Story