How to Ride a Bike and Still Look Put Together

Fashion & Style

How to Ride a Bike and Still Look Super Chic – Wit & Delight

The dog days of summer are in full swing and I can’t think of anything else I’d really rather do than saunter around town on an adorable bike. I have a Handsome cycle that I love, but lately, I’ve been eyeing so many cute vintage bikes on Pinterest that it’s making me feel like I may want a second one. Whether your wheels are vintage, eclectic, or modern, I put together a list of a few “must haves” if you want to bike around town and still look chic. I’d love to hear what kind of bike you’re wheelin’ around town in!

*Editor’s Note: Always wear a helmet!

Bike Riding Essentials

1. Cute bike basket

2. Cool sunglasses

3. Backpack or cross body bag

4. Easy dress (with room to move)

5. Comfortable shoes

6. Straw hat

7. Confidence!

How to Ride a Bike and Still Look Super Chic – Wit & Delight

How to Ride a Bike and Still Look Super Chic – Wit & Delight

How to Ride a Bike and Still Look Super Chic – Wit & Delight

How to Ride a Bike and Still Look Super Chic – Wit & Delight

How to Ride a Bike and Still Look Super Chic – Wit & Delight

How to Ride a Bike and Still Look Super Chic – Wit & Delight

How to Ride a Bike and Still Look Super Chic – Wit & Delight

How to Ride a Bike and Still Look Super Chic – Wit & Delight

Shop the Story

Madewell – Frayed Cotton And Linen-blend Wrap Mini Dress – Blue • Madewell • $120
Women’s Adidas Gazelle Sneaker • $79.95
Limited-Edition PUBLIC® C7 Bike • Serena & Lily • $598
Prada – Leather Platform Espadrilles – Black • Prada • $620
French Connection Carmen Faux-Leather Backpack, White • French Connection • $63
Fendi Black Two-Tone Cat-Eye Sunglasses • Fendi • $350
Riviera Bike Basket • Serena & Lily • $98
H&M Straw Hat • H&M • $17.99
Birkenstock Women’s Arizona Leather Double-Buckle Sandals • Birkenstock • $200
Dior Women’s “Dior So Real” Sunglasses • Christian Dior • $620
3.1 Phillip Lim ‘Soleil’ mini leather drawstring bucket bag • 3.1 Phillip Lim • $650
RAEY Crepe shirtdress • Raey • $473

Image sources: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 567 / 8 / 9 / 10

BY Kate Arends - July 18, 2017

1. Susan

July 18th, 2017 at 10:07 am

Helmet? Be stylish but don’t be stupid!

2. Jourdan

July 18th, 2017 at 10:18 am

Biking without a helmet is SO unsafe. Please don’t propagate the myth that it’s cool to do so. Plus, there are so many cute helmet options available – you could easily update this style post to include some good picks!

3. Stefani Ellenbecker // Editorial Director

July 18th, 2017 at 10:50 am

Jourdan, we definitely believe in wearing a helmet 100%! This post was focusing more on fashion but a helmet is a necessity that we never leave the house without!

4. Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

July 18th, 2017 at 10:30 am

Dunno if I’d be able to master biking in a dress without flashing everyone – my biking skills are definitely not up to par, haha!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

5. Katie

July 18th, 2017 at 11:10 am

Yeah, definitely set off an alarm bell in my head when it listed a straw hat instead of a helmet and only one photo even had someone wearing one. A straw hat is fine if all you’re doing is posing for pics next to a bike, but if you’re riding, you need a helmet.

6. Eva

July 18th, 2017 at 12:20 pm

These are SO cute! I can’t believe Solange in all white – I would be so worried about the dark seat leaving a stain on my butt!! Haha.

7. Jessica

July 19th, 2017 at 8:58 am

I adore these outfits!! I’m forever drawn to the beatnik black turtleneck and jeans look. Is it wrong to long for autumn already? 😡

8. Dan

July 19th, 2017 at 12:01 pm

hi
    Someone knows the brand of the orange backpack of the girl with helmet in the fourth picture??
    thanks

9. Samantha

July 19th, 2017 at 3:38 pm

The best way to look chic while riding a bike is to not have your head bust open if you fall. HELMET!!!! A cracked skull is not cute.

10. Crysta

July 19th, 2017 at 8:35 pm

None of these bikes, while yes I agree are cute, are all that fun to ride. Most are clunky “Townie” vintage bikes and HEAVY! I had one of these types of bikes for years, complete with a basket, until I realized how much more fun it is to ride a light weight road bike without a bunch of crap like a hand bag hanging off you and getting in the way. I love love my new road bike which is a Bianchi. It’s a pretty color and super light weight. It makes riding fun. Finally.I even wear the padded shorts, sometimes under a cute skirt.Best of both worlds. To me comfort is equal to fashion hands down.

11. Weekend Musing - Addy

July 21st, 2017 at 1:04 pm

[…] How to Ride a Bike and Still Look Put Together […]

12. mel

July 23rd, 2017 at 10:13 pm

So so cute! All of these outfits almost make me want to go out there and buy a bike just to get this vibe! Love it 🙂

xx, mel

13. Blooming Blonde

July 24th, 2017 at 6:24 am

OMG! This post just made me want to get on my bike and ride it through the city again! <3 So classy. Just loved it!

14. Natalie Redman

July 24th, 2017 at 6:38 am

Super gorgeous!

15. Today I Lust This || July 24 | Lust Local

July 26th, 2017 at 7:21 am

[…] and how to look chic on them (Wit & Delight) […]

16. liz

August 2nd, 2017 at 4:17 pm

i bike commute every day — the one thing that really was a game changer for me was ditching the back pack/messenger bag (read back sweat and/or annoying straps) and got a bike rack to go over the back wheel and a proper bike back that fits onto the side of the rack (pannier, i think they’re called?) — so much more comfortable now!

17. honda accord

August 15th, 2017 at 3:42 am

Love the dolphin linen shorts – they look super comfy and the shade of green is cute!

18. nissan navara

August 15th, 2017 at 3:47 am

I love this outffit one. Special, I love this sandal.

19. Gabby

August 18th, 2017 at 11:51 am

I love this post!! I go to a university where you have to bike because it is so big, so I am always looking for ways to stay stylish as well as be comfortable on my bike! Thank you for sharing!
    -gabby