5 Key Pieces to Upgrade Your Wardrobe this Fall

Fashion & Style

It’s been a hot minute since we thought about upping our layering game to accompany the new temperatures. But, as true Minnesotans, we definitely aren’t strangers to the concept. While I love a good Indian summer, one of my favorite parts about living in a city where you get to experience all four seasons is the opportunity to switch out my wardrobe for new pieces that will carry me through the cooler months. Who’s with me?

Read on for a round-up of my 5 favorite fashion staples and styles worth trying out this fall. From bright red hues to leather classics, they are destined to give your closet the refresher it needs (and hopefully cure those post-summer scaries).

1. A 70s-Inspired, Bold Knit

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Though I may be biased, (I’m a sucker for anything comfortable and fuss-free) if you ask me, a sweater is undoubtedly the hero piece to any fall wardrobe. Maybe I’m taking inspiration from my current favorite set-in-the-70s HBO series, The Deuce (hey, Franco), but this fall, I’m really digging knits in burnt hues and rich textures. Editor’s tip: save some $$ and pay your favorite vintage store a visit. Or better yet, your mom’s closet.

2. A Statement Boot

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Metallic, white, emerald green, and military combat. Statement boots of all kinds are dominating the fashion scene right now. My personal fav? The combat boot. Remember those clunky-soled Dr. Martens we all rocked circa ’98? They’re back. In a big way. While some may have mixed feelings about the combat comeback (my husband recently asked me if I was going for the Seattle grunge band look, and luckily, I happen to be a serious Nirvana fan and the 90s will always hold a special place in my heart), I’m welcoming these stompers with open arms. Equal parts fashionable and functional, they are perfect for adding a dose of edge to any look. Editor’s tip: Pair with your go-to skinnies or a feminine dress for an unexpected twist.

3. Oversized Menswear Blazer

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Strong shoulder nostalgia is having a big moment right now. I’m talkin’ (almost) 80s shoulder pad vibes… and I’m not even mad about it. Whether solid, plaid or houndstooth, I’m having a hard time not buying all of the oversized blazers I’m seeing this season. What I love most is how they make any outfit office appropriate, while transitioning well into the evening. Try playing around with different looks like adding a belt or pairing one over your favorite white tee, or, if you are a daring dresser, channel your inner #girlboss and opt for the full-blown pantsuit.

4. A Pop of Red

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

I used to think red wasn’t my “color” but I quickly learned that this statement-making hue really looks good on everyone. Luckily, this year, red shades are proving to reign supreme. Tend to be a bit color-hesitant? Ease in with a subtle touch, such as a red bag, hat or pair of booties– all guaranteed to give life to any monochromatic ensemble.

5. A Classic Leather Piece

1 / 2 / 3 / 4

Let leather weather ensue! Each year, my leather jacket is hands-down one of the most worn pieces in my wardrobe– the closet cornerstone that always feels current. The best part about leather? If treated properly, It ages well… so definitely worth the investment. If you already have a trusty leather coat, up your game with a fun mini skirt or pair of pants. I’m currently drooling over all things leather and shearling, like this beauty from Madewell. Editor’s tip: Leather pieces come with a hefty price tag. Check out H&M or Zara for great faux options.

Top image via Sandra Semburg

BY Madeline Nachbar - November 1, 2017

1. Krystal

November 1st, 2017 at 10:22 am

I bought my leather jacket a year ago from Zara (real leather) and I love it. It’s definitely been a workhorse, and with proper care I hope it will last forever!

2. Madeline Nachbar

November 1st, 2017 at 10:26 am

Krystal, if you feel like yours is in-need of a cleaning, try bringing it to a leather treater/cleaner- I brought both of mine in before the fall season and they look (almost) brand new!

3. Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

November 1st, 2017 at 10:49 am

I love the oversized menswear blazer. I’ve always had a thing for grandpa blazers, and it’s so nice but weird to see it in trend!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

4. Nicole Levin

November 1st, 2017 at 10:53 am

I couldn’t be a bigger fan of today’s 70s-inspired trends…Hannah Gross’ style in Mindhunter has me convinced I should’ve been a 70s chick. Lucky for me, nows my chance!

P.S. RED. Yes.
    P.P.S. Love your writing.

5. Katherine

November 1st, 2017 at 11:06 am

Loving all these looks! So good!

6. Cat

November 1st, 2017 at 11:58 am

Great post! Leather always makes things seem more fall-y haha

Cat

7. Madeline Nachbar

November 1st, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Couldn’t agree more, Cat!

8. Ellie

November 1st, 2017 at 1:10 pm

I am LOVING the 70’s style at the moment! So chich

Ellie xx

9. Ellen

November 1st, 2017 at 2:46 pm

GIVE ME ALL OF THE OVERSIZED BLAZERS! Love this post. Exactly what I have been craving this fall!

10. Alina

November 1st, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Love all of the pieces! And they are so easy mix and match!

11. Debbie

November 2nd, 2017 at 3:15 am

All fantastic pieces! I got my a gorgeous leather jacket at BCBG years ago. It’s still in great shape, and it’s an awesome piece for fall 🙂

12. Chevrolet Spark Duo

November 3rd, 2017 at 4:38 am

Thanks your informaiton – they are destined to give your closet the refresher it needs (and hopefully cure those post-summer scaries).

13. Mun