Do You Have What it Takes to Live with Open Kitchen Shelving?

Interiors & Decor

The 6 Things To Consider Before Tearing Out Your Kitchen Cabinets – Wit & Delight

I find myself lusting after perfectly tiled, open-shelf kitchens on Pinterest and Instagram far too often. Like multiple times a day. No matter how many kitchens I design, I just can’t get enough! Why is it that the heart of a home always seems to reside in the kitchen where the food is made, heart-to-hearts are had, and the fresh coffee brewed? Before Joe and I redid our kitchen I often wondered to myself, what does it really take to be an open-shelf person? Does this type of person need to own perfectly-matching-unchipped-plates, cohesive glasses that only come in even numbers and fend off daily clutter like it’s their 9-5 job? Probably, I thought. Now that we have open shelving in our kitchen at home and in two kitchens within the studio, I thought it would be nice for me to put together what it really takes to be an open-shelving person. Here is a list of the top six things to consider before (and after) tearing out your kitchen cabinets. This list will help you get ahead of your new kitchen remodel and decide if this whole open-shelving lifestyle is really for you!

1. How are your dishes and glassware? Is anything chipped? Do any of your glasses or dishes come in an odd number? Purchase a couple of new sets that stack and align nicely and put those beauties on display!

2. Do you have set spots for appliances? I often store the larger clunkier appliances such as blenders, mixers, crockpots etc. that aren’t in everyday use in an accessible cabinet nearby.

3. How will you display things like your snoozy pantry items? Clear glass containers can be cute or you could do a hodgepodge of colorfully designed pottery containers too. I’m loving wicker, marble, and copper containers right now too for your kitchen.

4. How many shelves do you want (or need)? A few? A ton? The sky is the limit here and you can change this up depending on what each wall looks like in your kitchen. I also like the thought of wider shelves that can hold a wider array of larger or longer items.

5. How will you accessorize? With plants, books or trinkets? I love adding a mixture of all of these items. I often need to remind myself that less is more, though. Because keeping clutter to a minimum always looks best!

6. Can you keep it neat? I find myself dusting and decluttering weekly and more often with open shelves. In a way, this is good because I’m less likely to store all my “stuff” away and let unnecessary or unwanted bowls, tupperware or glassware pile up.

Image sources: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

SaveSave

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

BY Kate Arends - November 2, 2017

1. Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

November 2nd, 2017 at 10:32 am

I dislike open shelving because of the grease and dust that could get into my cutlery. And I like the walls to be all clean. But that’s just me, I know open shelving works for a lot of people!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

2. Cathy | the Grit and Polish

November 3rd, 2017 at 12:56 am

I’m a huge fan of open shelving! I love having plates, bowls, glasses, and frequently used pantry staples accessible and in plain sight. One of my biggest pet peeves when over at friends’ houses is having to open up every single cabinet to find a glass. In the last 6 kitchens my husband and I have remodeled, every one has had open shelves.

3. Happy Friday + Links 11/3/17

November 3rd, 2017 at 6:02 am

[…] Do you have what it takes to live with open shelving? […]

4. Jo

November 3rd, 2017 at 11:06 am

I love my open shelving with one caveat that no-one seems to mention. I don’t have a problem with the dust which never collects on the more often used dishes. I don’t have a problem with visual clutter as I stick to all white. The one problem I have is when I have a party or cook a big dinner, I pull practically everything off my shelves to use. So when I’m entertaining I’ve got awkward bare shelves. I’ve even gone so far as to keep a separate set of dishes so I can keep the open shelves styled and pretty for guests. In the end I would rather have open shelving, but I’m thinking for my next kitchen having at least one closed cabinet to keep the entertaining stuff.

5. kanchipuram sarees

September 20th, 2018 at 2:09 pm

Amaigsangsdg

6. TOP 4 INTERIOR INSPIRATION INSTAGRAM ACCOUNTS – CAMPBELL INTERIORS

November 8th, 2017 at 8:03 am

[…] Photos//1/2/3/4// […]

7. Annabelle M

November 10th, 2017 at 10:43 am

I have designed and redesigned many kitchens for our family. Of all the configurations, I found that the golden oldies are often the best: PANTRIES! A pantry with variable height shelving and shelves of several depths has made me a happy cook and let me entertain without angst. You just take what you need and close the door. I am short, so I tend to use few upper cabinets, preferring the feeling of openness and drawers under the counter tops. That, along with comfortable seating, is my perfect kitchen recipe.

8. Choice Furniture Superstore

November 15th, 2017 at 12:03 am

Nice one. I really like open kitchen shelving. Thanks for sharing this post.

9. KMP Furniture Blog

November 30th, 2017 at 6:07 am

It’s so so. If you have the right accessories, yes, it will go well with the entire interior, however I wouldn’t leave all of those opened. Especially not those for the pans and plates because of the dust and everything.

10. jenny

December 19th, 2017 at 4:19 am

Thanks for sharing the articles, it’s very important to choose the right color for the kitchen as well as it will enhance the beauty of the entire interior. http://earlspaintworks.com/

11. Quick Tips for a New Year Refresh | Design Matters by Lumens