In the Kitchen: Homemade Olive Oil Scrub

Beauty

When you’ve lived in one of the coldest urban environments for the past 5 years, you witness how brutalizing the cold can be on your skin. Especially if you have dry skin, like moi.

I thought, in preparation for the colder months ahead, I would share a few skin-saving tips and a less traditional “In the Kitchen” feature, a recipe for a body scrub you can make at home.

Here are a few of my tried-and-true, Minnesota-proof skincare tips:

1. Don’t be afraid of oil-based body scrubs. This one leaves your skin feeling soft, moisturized, and clean. You can use this on your face, but it is best to avoid doing so in the winter. A gentler exfoliant would do just fine. I use a Clarisonic brush (and it works wonders). If you do use this scrub on your face, rub very carefully and avoid delicate dry spots, as it can be too harsh on sensitive winter skin. Follow with a thick moisturizer.

2. Keep a really great lip balm on hand. At all times. I’m forever a fan of Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment .

3. Facials. I save up for these indulgences over the summer because they are SO worth it! It’s a nice treat for the mind, body, and soul.

4. Moisturizing Masks. I use this biweekly. The trick is to not keep masks on too long, 10 minutes is all you need. Wash them off with a nice warm towel.

5. Consider a hydrating serum. I use Dior Hydra Life Serum. It has a lovely citrus-y smell.

6. Water. Most of us never get enough and a girls gotta protect her skin from the inside out.

Do you guys have any recommendations for protecting your skin against the elements?

BY Kate Arends - October 27, 2011

1. Amy

October 27th, 2011 at 8:25 am

Oh Thank you!! Thank you!! I just moved to Grand Forks, North Dakota (and hour from Canada and on the border of Minnesota/North Dakota) and am so so nervous about this up and coming winter. I will be applying all of these practices to my everyday , so thank you so much!
    Hopefully you post more on this topic!
    Amy

2. Desi

October 27th, 2011 at 9:14 am

My favorite for my lips is Karite Lips (http://www.amazon.com/MODE-VIE-GLOBAL-NATURAL-PRODUCTS/dp/B0006NXS28). I have used so many lip balms and nothing is better. I have turned so many friends into believers. It mends, not just covering. I would love to hear what you think.

October 27th, 2011 at 9:18 am

thanks, desi! sounds amazing- can’t wait to try it.

4. margaret

October 27th, 2011 at 9:30 am

what is that sans-serif font? I love it!

October 27th, 2011 at 9:33 am

Futura Bold

6. Victoria

October 27th, 2011 at 11:40 am

I’m a big fan of Rodin Luxury face oil. It is a bit expensive, but AMAZING. In the winter I put a few drops of it in my bath at night. It moisturizes your whole body.

Victoria

7. Name Aya

October 27th, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I love love love my new clarisonic but I am running out of the sample face wash it came with and don’t know what to get. What do you suggest?

October 27th, 2011 at 1:48 pm

i’ve used Purity for years, but if i had a bigger budget, i’d used Fresh Soy Cleanser

hope this helps!

xx

9. Name Aya

October 27th, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Thank you Kate!
    This does and help and you’re lovely!

10. DENISE.

October 27th, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Oooh, this looks fun. Try the lavender body scrub from Trader Joe’s. It’s like $5 and is super good — plus has a very moisturizing oil so you don’t need extra lotion. Well, maybe in MN you do 🙂

11. Rose

October 27th, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I’m from Holland so it can get pretty cold here as well. I too use olive oil + sugar to scrub, usually in between depilating my legs (and waxing the rest), to prevent ingrowth. For face I would recommend powdered sugar as it’s less harsh, I don’t add oil to that however, just some almond oil afterwards to restore the balance (hopefully, I’m no dermatologist, but it works).

October 27th, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Oh that is a great idea! Thanks, Rose!

13. Josephine

October 27th, 2011 at 6:21 pm

I swear by Aquaphor as a lip balm. My lips used to peel all the time until I started using it upon my dermatologist’s recommendation. Now I keep little tubes of it everywhere – in each of my handbags, in my car, at my desk, by my bed, etc. Super cheap, and you can find it anywhere.

14. Kasey

October 27th, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I love this idea! Totally trying this asap.

15. Elise / Pennyweight

October 27th, 2011 at 10:29 pm

i so needed this… thank you for all the great tips!

16. Joy

October 27th, 2011 at 11:34 pm

YES great for winter.

17. Gina

October 28th, 2011 at 10:43 am

I’ll definitely be making this scrub – thanks for the tip! As a fellow dry-skinned Minneapolitan, I have been scheming ways for my skin to survive winter, too. I make my own skin oil, and use it every day day (two-three drops in summer, three-four in winter, always mixed with six or seven drops of water): 1 oz. organic almond oil (the best kind you can afford), 10 drops organic rose essential oil, 10 drops organic sandalwood oil, and a dash of vitamin E oil. It’s magic, I swear. In the depths of winter, once a week (or as needed), I wash my face with organic heavy cream. Cedar Summit is awesome for this, if you’re in Minnesota and can get it. Just dampen the face, then use the cream as you would a cleansing milk, rinse off and you’re set. Got the tip from the Ayurvedic beauty book “Absolute Beauty” by Pratima Raichur, who also makes an amazing line of skincare products.

October 28th, 2011 at 10:55 am

Gina! This is amazing. I’m totally going to try out your entire skin routine. I’ve been wanting to add a skin oil to my regimen.

19. Angela Dal Bon Custom Invites

October 31st, 2011 at 7:15 pm

This scrub makes a wonderful Christmas gift!

20. treat yourself. | a little wit.

November 3rd, 2011 at 10:25 am

[…] the cold draws near i can feel my skin hating me more and more.  thank goodness for this olive oil scrub with an easy peezy […]

21. Get + Togetha » blogspotted: olive oil scrub.

November 9th, 2011 at 4:42 pm

[…] lotion (ok…sometimes good ole Jergens works!) leaves me unsatisfied. I like the simplicity of this recipe and will probably buy a few jars + essential oil favorites and make holiday […]

22. Julia

November 11th, 2011 at 10:56 am

i made + used this last night – what a treat! perfect. if you have leftovers… does it keep out or should i throw it in the fridge? thank you! <3

November 11th, 2011 at 11:08 am

awesome! i just keep the jar in my shower. it keeps for about 30 days without refrigeration. you can keep it in the fridge, but it gets too hard to use. so glad you enjoyed it 🙂

24. FUN FRIDAY | SERVPRO of West Columbia and Lexington

November 11th, 2011 at 2:56 pm

[…] Credit: Citrus Salt Scrub, Rosemary Mint Scrub, Soothing Lavender Scrub, Brown Sugar Oatmeal Scrub, Honey and Oil Scrub, and Coffee Scrub. GA_googleAddAttr("AdOpt", "1"); GA_googleAddAttr("Origin", "other"); […]

25. Pretty DIY Gifts for the Girls | Beauty Bets

November 16th, 2011 at 5:04 am

[…] olive oil-honey sugar scrub sounds divinely […]

26. Honey Olive Oil Scrub | Gourmet Style Girl

December 21st, 2011 at 11:24 am

[…] by Kate’s recipe for sugar scrub, I decided to make cute labeled jars of this get-me-through-the-winter concoction […]

27. Amos Potteiger

April 17th, 2012 at 3:09 am

Hi there are lots of themes that you can incorporate which can be more complete fine tuned for bing search.

28. Pinterest Pins: Budget Friendly Mother’s Day Gift Ideas « Cotton & Brass

May 8th, 2012 at 6:41 pm

[…] witanddelight.com via Sara on […]

29. Olive Oil Body Scrub

October 1st, 2012 at 8:46 am

[…] is offically gone and the cool weather hasn’t wasted any time arriving. This olive oil body scrub via wit + delight is my go-to, favorite way to pamper my skin during the chillier months. It’s so simple to […]

30. Lise

November 3rd, 2012 at 12:00 pm

this is great? how long can you keep it?

31. DIY Beauty Pamper Treatments | Poetry

October 7th, 2013 at 5:54 am

[…] Via Wit & Delight […]

32. DIY Ideas Hair & Beauty : In the Kitchen: Homemade Olive Oil Scrub - Wit & Delight - DIYpick.com | Your daily source of DIY ideas, Craft projects and Life hacks

June 18th, 2017 at 8:15 am