It’s 8pm on a Tuesday night and your fridge is empty. The temperature reads -8 degrees, and while Whole Foods is all of 8 blocks away, the thought of jumping in your car to peruse the salad bar feels similar to running 13.1 miles. Luckily, I almost always have the ingredients for my favorite simple meal on hand. With only 5 ingredients, this pasta dish is deceptively simple- spaghetti coated with a fragrant olive oil infused with loads of garlic and red pepper. The dish is really elevated by execution, so don’t skimp on using fresh garlic cloves, and good olive oil and butter.
Here’s the recipe to my rendition of this simple Italian classic.
1 box of whole grain spaghetti
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp butter
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, finely chop the fresh garlic. Sprinkle the garlic with a little bit of salt to help release some of the flavor.
3. Coat the bottom of a medium sauté pan with olive oil, then add the butter. Over medium heat, let the butter melt into the olive oil until it starts bubbling.
4. Add the garlic and red pepper. Lift the pan off the burner and sauté lightly until the garlic browns slightly. Remove from heat.
5. Cook the pasta until al dente, then drain.
6. Move the cooked pasta to a shallow serving dish and coat thoroughly with the spicy garlic oil. I leave all the garlic bits in the oil, but you could easily run the mixture through a strainer.
7. Sprinkle the pasta with a generous amount of sea salt and cracked pepper and your eyes will be rolling back in your head with pleasure. Seriously.
8. Serve yourself an extra large portion and savor!
Serves 4 / 15 minute cooking time.
BY Kate Arends - January 22, 2014
Thank you for being here. For being open to enjoying life’s simple pleasures and looking inward to understand yourself, your neighbors, and your fellow humans! I’m looking forward to chatting with you.