6 Ways to Take a Better Photo

Fashion & Style

kate10

Truth be told: I’m not a photogenic person. I’ve got decades of evidence to support this statement, starting with my very first portrait taken at the hospital. This image marks a phase in my life when I looked exactly like a mini Yoda. Thanks for pointing that out, Mom and Dad. But really, the camera causes my personality to retreat like a turtle hiding in his shell, and I become very, very aware of myself. Now that we’re living in an era where employers will check LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram before the first interview, having a professional headshot is more commonplace than ever. Personal photos are imperative when engaging with others in an online environment, and much to my dismay, the #selfie is here to stay for that reason alone. Because many people find the camera intimidating, I thought I’d share a couple survival tips I’ve acquired from those awkward moments spent in front of the lens.

kate15

1. If possible, only work with a photographer you feel very comfortable with.

A few weeks ago, I agreed to sit in front of the camera for my friend Colleen, a photographer who is interested in portrait photography. She’s an incredibly warm and wonderful person, so once I arrived at her studio I subsequently apologized for the work that was ahead of her. Colleen assured me that feeling uncomfortable was completely normal, and bringing out my personality was her job. And she did just that! Not only did Colleen work her butt off to make me feel comfortable and natural, she captured a different side of myself I hadn’t seen before. In short, working with someone who can coach you through your session changes everything.

2. Take a deep breath and exhale.

This is the best tip I’ve picked up from photographers over the years. If you’re feeling uncomfortable or stiff, take a deep breath through your nose, then exhale through your mouth, letting your shoulders pull away from your neck. This relaxes your face and shoulders, and even helps your eyes engage with the camera in a more natural way. I think Oprah gave this same tip once, but that’s beside the point. It works.

3. Play. Sit. Move. Laugh.

I never know what to do with my hands when taking a photo. They sort of hang awkwardly and that translates into a bizarre-looking facial expression. To combat the “where do I put my hands” conundrum, I do a couple of things. 1. Turn on some music and start moving. I tend to flip and toss my hair a lot in general (a nervous tic), so I’ve coined my go-to move as “The Hair Flop”, which results in photos that start to look more like me. It’s weird, but it works. 2. Sit down and move. Posing in a chair feels more natural for me. I’ve found leaning forward on my elbows and resting my hand on my chin felt somewhat less weird. 3. Think about how you stand naturally when engaging in conversation. For some people, this is crossing their arms, or putting their hands in their pockets. If it feels good, it gives the photographer something to work with, and you don’t feel ridiculous. Smiling and laughing never hurt, but if you feel unnatural doing it, try something else!

kate14

4. Think of those you love.

When you start to get anxious in front of the lens, imagine a person who accepts and loves you for who the person you truly are. When I’m uncomfortable, I think about moments when unconditional love was given despite my quirks and insecurities. It brings subtle emotion to your face, which helps make the portrait a truer, more confident reflection of yourself.

5. After 45 minutes, you’re not going to take a better photo.

Posing for photos is hard work. In fact, it’s deceivingly exhausting, and if you’re still posing for a headshot after 45 minutes, the likelihood of getting the perfect shot is going to decrease significantly. So feel free to tell your photographer to call it quits once you’ve given them enough time to work with what they’ve got to work with. I had a headshot session go more than 3 hours once and no one was happy with anything we captured after the first hour.

6. A friend and a little booze never hurt.

I’m just stating the obvious at this point, but if having your photo taken is uncomfortable, try to make the environment as fun as possible. My bestie Dee (pictured below) is always my cheerleader when it comes to getting outside my comfort zone. Friends like that are the best kind.

kate18

Above all, having your photo taken is uncomfortable, but marking a moment in time with an image is a great way to reflect on phases of your life. I treasure the photos my father took of my mother when they were in college, and even though she is still a little sheepish about them, they’re an incredibly powerful peek into her life. Someday when I’m old and wrinkled, I’ll look at these photos and remember my first year of marriage, the year I left a steady job and started a studio with five other creatives. And that’s pretty cool.

Many thanks for Colleen for taking these photos of me despite my reluctance. You’re awesome.

BY Kate Arends - April 29, 2014

1. Katie

April 29th, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Great tips, Kate! I feel totally awkward in front of the camera and look like a deer caught in headlights or a complete goober in most candid photos. I absolutely love the first photo of you! So badass!!

April 29th, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Totally feel you! Glad the tips help 🙂

3. Elisabeth

April 29th, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Thank you! These are so,so good. I am no stranger to being the awkward , non-photogenic friend in the photo. Those pictures of you are amazing!

April 29th, 2014 at 4:49 pm

Glad to hear that, Elisabeth!

5. Kirsten

April 29th, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Gorgeous. Both you and the photos.

April 29th, 2014 at 4:48 pm

7. Tara Victoria

April 29th, 2014 at 5:10 pm

I duno how you say you’re not photogenic! These photos are fantastic! you look so natural!
    I get super awkward in front of the camera too, these tips are great. I can attest to working with a photographer you feel comfortable with making a difference, it totally makes me feel more comfortable and when they have great ideas to get you to relax it’s even better!

8. Paige

April 29th, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Agree with the above – you look lovely but more than that, you do look natural and like a Real Person. In the vast and sudden world of social media, it can be discouraging and also disconnecting in a way to see all the perfectly styled images of women and men. Thanks for the advice!

9. Alecia

April 29th, 2014 at 6:58 pm

a beauty inside and out. xo

April 29th, 2014 at 10:08 pm

<3 <3 <3 <3

11. colleen

April 29th, 2014 at 8:04 pm

perfect timing-i’m being photographed tomorrow for my website. Thanks so much xo

12. Jamy

April 29th, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Love these photos and your friendship. Reminds me of the relationship I have with mine. Seriously, booze never hurt 😉

13. Emma S.

April 29th, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Beautiful photos, Kate! You are stunning.

April 29th, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Thank you so much, Emma!

15. Melissa

April 30th, 2014 at 8:03 am

These are great tips for anyone who feels awkward in front of the camera. I’m a portrait photographer & use very similar techniques to help my clients relax 🙂

16. Bee

April 30th, 2014 at 9:24 am

Cheese!! Perfect tips! Pinning.

17. Erica

April 30th, 2014 at 10:19 am

Thank you! It’s not often that bloggers talk about how awkward posing for photographs can be, when I feel like it is part of my daily life!

18. Jessica

May 1st, 2014 at 8:45 am

Great post – you look completely natural (a feat in itself since posing for a photo is in itself a totally unnatural thing!) Thank you for the tips. I find Im either always sporting a full on grin or if I attempt not to smile I have resting b*tch face unfortunately…..will try the exhaling etc.

19. Happy Friday! | Wilderness & Gold

May 2nd, 2014 at 12:25 pm

[…] Kate of Wit & Delight schools us on how to take a better photo. […]

20. 8 Things of Note - Clementine Daily

May 2nd, 2014 at 2:01 pm

[…] Genius tips for being a bit more comfortable in front of the camera. […]

21. Jennifer Coyle

May 4th, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Great tips, and not ones that I’ve heard a million and a half times. You look beautiful in these photos, and your photographer friend is very talented!

May 5th, 2014 at 11:44 am

Thank you so much, Jennifer! Means a lot to me 🙂

23. Walewska

May 6th, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Great tips! I always photograph like an alien, so they are very welcome!

24. Colleen

May 15th, 2014 at 8:50 am

Kate! I just saw that you posted this! Thank you so much for letting me photograph you and for just being an awesome human. xoxo

25. Happy Weekend! | Gardenias & Mint

May 16th, 2014 at 10:44 am

[…] // Outfit pics can be hard work, and Wit & Delight has some great insight on keepin it cool in front of the […]

May 17th, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Great tips, Kate! Thank you. I’m terribly awkward in photos but I know it would be good practice to publish photos of myself every now and then. Hoping to be better about that soon.

27. Have a great week. | under the oaks

May 18th, 2014 at 11:00 am

[…] 6 Ways to Take a Better Photo – Wit & Delight […]

28. Weekend Memo

June 29th, 2014 at 1:37 pm

[…] session from Martha Stewart. See a glossary of peonies on Pinterest here. • Read and learn 6 Ways to Take A Better Photo of You. • It’s picnic season and make sure you pick up some popchips at the store to go […]

29. Pin Ups and Link Love: My Favourite Things This Week - Knitted Bliss

November 13th, 2015 at 5:00 am

[…] Ever wish you felt more comfortable when the camera is on you? Here are some great tips on how to feel more yourself when the camera is pointed at you. Pinterest link is here, and the original post is here. […]

30. Adam Waddy

November 25th, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Great tips. Thanks for your sharing about photoghraphy! ^^

31. James Gerber

March 14th, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Thks for tips. I love B&W portrait pictures. Love it!!!

32. Tools Guardian

August 31st, 2018 at 4:26 am

Awesome post! thanks for sharing.

33. The Ultimate Resource List for Blog Photography | EmPress Themes