W&D in the Kitchen: Strawberry-Basil Smoothie

Food & Entertainment

strawberry-basil smoothie | wit & delight

As someone who loves to bake (and once baked for a living), there always seems to be an enormous amount of bittersweet chocolate and sugar spilling out of my kitchen cupboards. The cold winter months didn’t help things, and I found myself consuming more comfort food than was necessary. There was a long hard talk with myself, and the journey of balance and moderation began. It’s been hard to move away from all the sweets, but slowly I’m finding good, whole foods to replace them.

strawberry-basil smoothie | wit & delight

strawberry-basil smoothie | wit & delight

strawberry-basil smoothie | wit & delight

When Kate asked me to share some of my go-to recipes here on Wit & Delight, this smoothie was the first thing that popped into my head. I’ve been making other variations of it quite frequently, but this strawberry and basil combination has become my absolute favorite. It’s just like summer in a cup, and I find myself craving one every afternoon.

strawberry-basil smoothie | wit & delight

strawberry-basil smoothie | wit & delight

A Simple Breakfast Smoothie
I like to use frozen strawberries here; they make the smoothie wonderfully cold, and then there is no need for ice (which will water the drink down a bit). If you’d rather use fresh berries you sure can, but you will need a add a handful of ice also. I like a lot of basil in this beverage and add 1/3 cup, but if you just want a subtle hint of it, add 1/4 cup or less. It also tastes delicious without the basil.

2 cups yogurt
10 ounces frozen strawberries (see note)
1/4-1/3 cup fresh basil (see note)
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons vanilla

In a blender, combine all the ingredients. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve. Serves 2-3. – Sarah

Contributor Copy-03

BY Sarah Kieffer - April 10, 2014

22 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Kelly Jo
April 10, 2014 9:58 am

This looks incredibly delicious! Can’t wait to try it.

Kat
April 10, 2014 10:24 am

Yum, I am going to make this on Sunday morning 🙂 Obviously love the honey.

April 10, 2014 10:37 am

Delicious! SO excited to see a food contributor on Wit and Delight, can’t wait to see what else you have to offer!

Natalie

April 10, 2014 11:05 am
Reply to  Natalie

So happy you’re excited, Natalie!

April 10, 2014 12:32 pm

This sounds amazing! What a great combo.

April 12, 2014 8:37 am
Reply to  Katie

If you try making it, let me know what you think!!

April 10, 2014 5:06 pm

I’m loving all these contributors!! And strawberry and basil smoothies are one of my daily drinks – so good!

April 11, 2014 11:22 am

[…] strawberry basil smoothie is on my must-make […]

April 12, 2014 10:08 am

Hi, do you use vanilla pods, seeds or extract for this? I’m going to try it later.

[…] leave it to Kelly to come up with something so crazy and adorable all at the same time. * This strawberry and basil smoothie from Wit & Delight – perfect Easter morning breakfast! * Look at this salad…the perfect […]

[…] Smoothie from Wit&Delight […]

[…] Receptet och de ljuvliga bilderna hittade jag hos nyfunna favoriten Wit & Delight. […]

Christine
May 24, 2014 11:14 am

Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see any liquid in this recipe. I tried it as written, and it wouldn’t blend, then tried it again with a mixture of milk and apple juice. It tasted great– love the basil flavor! I’m wondering if you used any liquid in yours? thanks!

[…] 4. Strawberry Basil Smoothie – Wit and Delight […]

Lori
January 25, 2015 7:03 pm

What kind of yogurt do you recommend?

[…] Strawberry-Basil Smoothie from Wit + Delight seems like the perfect liquid dessert or afternoon treat to cool off on hot Summer […]

Lauren
May 23, 2016 4:31 pm

I just made this, and it is AMAZING!!! I used some half and half since I only had one cup of yogurt and it came with a sort of lemon compote so I added it in! I also switched out the honey for agave, because that’s all I had haha and I used fresh strawberries but I happened to have just made strawberry basil ice cubes so they didn’t water it down too much. Super happy about this new favorite drink!

September 22, 2017 6:00 am

Then you will be needed to login to the internet site specified in once again from your tool it is recommended to conserve the information on your tool.

October 12, 2017 1:35 am

Seth Rollins as its cover professional athlete, notes the very first time in years a WWE video game has been released on a Nintendo platform

November 6, 2017 12:47 am

Let me inform you how you can download and install Mobdro for PC, laptop computer newest upgraded variation.

Most-read posts: