W&D in the Kitchen: Strawberry-Basil Smoothie

Food & Entertainment

strawberry-basil smoothie | wit & delight

As someone who loves to bake (and once baked for a living), there always seems to be an enormous amount of bittersweet chocolate and sugar spilling out of my kitchen cupboards. The cold winter months didn’t help things, and I found myself consuming more comfort food than was necessary. There was a long hard talk with myself, and the journey of balance and moderation began. It’s been hard to move away from all the sweets, but slowly I’m finding good, whole foods to replace them.

strawberry-basil smoothie | wit & delight

strawberry-basil smoothie | wit & delight

strawberry-basil smoothie | wit & delight

When Kate asked me to share some of my go-to recipes here on Wit & Delight, this smoothie was the first thing that popped into my head. I’ve been making other variations of it quite frequently, but this strawberry and basil combination has become my absolute favorite. It’s just like summer in a cup, and I find myself craving one every afternoon.

strawberry-basil smoothie | wit & delight

strawberry-basil smoothie | wit & delight

A Simple Breakfast Smoothie
I like to use frozen strawberries here; they make the smoothie wonderfully cold, and then there is no need for ice (which will water the drink down a bit). If you’d rather use fresh berries you sure can, but you will need a add a handful of ice also. I like a lot of basil in this beverage and add 1/3 cup, but if you just want a subtle hint of it, add 1/4 cup or less. It also tastes delicious without the basil.

2 cups yogurt
10 ounces frozen strawberries (see note)
1/4-1/3 cup fresh basil (see note)
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons vanilla

In a blender, combine all the ingredients. Blend until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve. Serves 2-3. – Sarah

Contributor Copy-03

BY Sarah Kieffer - April 10, 2014

1. Kelly Jo

April 10th, 2014 at 9:58 am

This looks incredibly delicious! Can’t wait to try it.

2. Kat

April 10th, 2014 at 10:24 am

Yum, I am going to make this on Sunday morning 🙂 Obviously love the honey.

3. Natalie

April 10th, 2014 at 10:37 am

Delicious! SO excited to see a food contributor on Wit and Delight, can’t wait to see what else you have to offer!

Natalie

April 10th, 2014 at 11:05 am

So happy you’re excited, Natalie!

5. Katie

April 10th, 2014 at 12:32 pm

This sounds amazing! What a great combo.

April 12th, 2014 at 8:37 am

If you try making it, let me know what you think!!

7. Victoria

April 10th, 2014 at 5:06 pm

I’m loving all these contributors!! And strawberry and basil smoothies are one of my daily drinks – so good!

8. Happy Friday! « Allison Wonderland

April 11th, 2014 at 11:22 am

[…] strawberry basil smoothie is on my must-make […]

9. Siobhan

April 12th, 2014 at 10:08 am

Hi, do you use vanilla pods, seeds or extract for this? I’m going to try it later.

10. Sarah Kieffer

April 12th, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Hello! I use vanilla extract. I hope you enjoy it!

11. The Vanilla Bean Blog | mixed berry scones with crème fraîche and lavender

April 17th, 2014 at 11:20 am

[…] -I’m now contributing over at Wit + Delight! You can check out my first post, for Strawberry-Basil Smoothies. […]

12. Friday Roundup: Easter | Garlic My Soul

April 18th, 2014 at 2:02 am

[…] leave it to Kelly to come up with something so crazy and adorable all at the same time. * This strawberry and basil smoothie from Wit & Delight – perfect Easter morning breakfast! * Look at this salad…the perfect […]

13. Tip: Using Markdown Tables in Day One | Day One

May 7th, 2014 at 4:05 pm

[…] Smoothie from Wit&Delight […]

14. Smoothie med jordgubbar och basilika. | Volang

May 21st, 2014 at 1:59 am

[…] Receptet och de ljuvliga bilderna hittade jag hos nyfunna favoriten Wit & Delight. […]

15. Christine

May 24th, 2014 at 11:14 am

Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see any liquid in this recipe. I tried it as written, and it wouldn’t blend, then tried it again with a mixture of milk and apple juice. It tasted great– love the basil flavor! I’m wondering if you used any liquid in yours? thanks!

16. Sarah Kieffer

June 3rd, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Hi Christine,
    Sorry for a late response! There isn’t any liquid in this recipe – I’ve never had any trouble with my smoothie blending. But I’m glad to hear that milk + apple juice worked for you!

17. Minnesota Strawberry Round-Up - Minnesota Locavore

July 9th, 2014 at 4:44 am

[…] 4. Strawberry Basil Smoothie – Wit and Delight […]

18. Lori

January 25th, 2015 at 7:03 pm

What kind of yogurt do you recommend?

19. The Vanilla Bean Blog | a clean slate (giveaway)

February 12th, 2015 at 10:45 pm

[…] quit early. So I made smoothies each morning for breakfast (blueberry-green tea from the book, and this strawberry-basil one), soup for lunch (a pot of this Buckwheat Noodle Miso Soup with Bok Choy was perfect all three […]

20. Manna Paris | Inspiring Source for Mothers Abroad Manna Paris | 10 + Recipes for Strawberries

August 12th, 2015 at 5:50 am

[…] Strawberry-Basil Smoothie from Wit + Delight seems like the perfect liquid dessert or afternoon treat to cool off on hot Summer […]

21. Lauren

May 23rd, 2016 at 4:31 pm

I just made this, and it is AMAZING!!! I used some half and half since I only had one cup of yogurt and it came with a sort of lemon compote so I added it in! I also switched out the honey for agave, because that’s all I had haha and I used fresh strawberries but I happened to have just made strawberry basil ice cubes so they didn’t water it down too much. Super happy about this new favorite drink!

22. http://theicloudlogin.com

September 22nd, 2017 at 6:00 am

Then you will be needed to login to the internet site specified in once again from your tool it is recommended to conserve the information on your tool.

23. WWE2K18

October 12th, 2017 at 1:35 am

Seth Rollins as its cover professional athlete, notes the very first time in years a WWE video game has been released on a Nintendo platform

24. imobdro

November 6th, 2017 at 12:47 am

Let me inform you how you can download and install Mobdro for PC, laptop computer newest upgraded variation.

25. appvnapkdownload

December 22nd, 2017 at 12:09 am

Applications you discover on Appvn constantly functions, you don’t should worry about downloading a malware which appears to be job yet not.

26. MyBKExperience

May 23rd, 2018 at 11:17 pm

The very best reason you’ll define for your visit to Burger King will certainly be thought about next.