It’s been over a month since we’ve had a our new Cocoon by Sealy mattress, and I’m pleased to announce that we are sleeping soundly. No pregnancy insomnia…yet.
Some of you asked about the nitty gritty details, and I’m happy to share some additional information about the mattress:
What I really want to talk about is why it is so important to turn off the outside noise and make your bedroom a soothing place, no matter the size of the room or the mattress you sleep on. Here are a couple ways we’ve made sure the bedroom is for reconnecting as a couple and with ourselves, not with the outside world.
1. Go tech-free. Stay tech-free. Joe and I have gone through some rough patches with technology use in the bedroom (remember this post?) and while we’ve both been on our best behavior, the rules need to be revisited now and then. I love binge-watching Netflix as much as the next person, but there was always just one more episode I had to watch, which in turn led to extreme late nights and disruptive sleep. Once we got rid of the laptops in bed, Joe and I would spend the time talking or reading instead of searching what to fall asleep to.
2. Add some greenery. Fresh flowers or plants add life to any room, especially the bedroom, which is sometimes only thought of as purely functional. I love adding fresh cut flowers to the room, which instantly injects a burst of color, and makes me think of fancy hotel rooms.
A few good plants to consider to add to the bedroom to help you relax and sleep:
3. Make your bed. I learned this from Joe. Sometimes, he will make the bed with me still IN bed! It just makes it feel like the day has officially started. We don’t get super anal about it–no hospital corners here, but at minimum covering the mattress. Still, I am a bit messy, so I’ve learned over time to pick up the mess as I make it. If clothes have been on the floor overnight, they may be here for a week. If our room is tidy, both of our stress-levels will go down. No one has got time for stress in the bedroom!
4. Invest in quality over quantity. If you are going to spend ⅓ of your life in bed, you might as well be comfortable. I’m talking pillows, mattress, duvet, pajamas. It’s not just about thread count, but the quality of the bedding. I’m currently loving the Caroline Z Hurley bedding we are currently using. It’s made of linen, which means it’s breathable and lightweight.
5. Read more (or take time to practice the hobbies you never “had time” for). When we made the no laptops in bed rule, I suddenly found myself with more time, to talk with Joe, or when he is away, read. Really read, old-school. No tablets or phones involved, just a stack of design/fashion (and the occasional tabloid, a girl wants to unwind after a long day) magazines. Books that I have been meaning to read, but never found the time, were all of a sudden accessible. I found myself “heading to bed” earlier but falling asleep a later than usual, thanks to my renewed love of reading.
If reading isn’t your thing, knit or sew or sketch in the bedroom, and only the bedroom. Soon you’ll associate that special activity you love with the room.
6. Make your bed a destination hotspot. Sleep in. Have breakfast in bed. Relax after a long day with a glass of wine in bed. Listen to records in bed. Take your time getting ready for a date. See a pattern here? The more restful and enjoyable activities that occur in the room, the better.
One last thing, Cocoon by Sealy has generously offered Wit & Delight readers a special offer. Use the Promo Code: DELIGHT50 when you purchase from CocoonbySealy.com, you will receive a $50 cash gift card with purchase. The cash gift card will be sent to the email address that is associated with the mattress being delivered. The promotional code will be effective starting May 12, 2016 and all purchases with the code must be made by May 31, 2016.
Sleep well tonight, dear readers!
SHOP THE STORY
1/ Caroline Z Hurley for WRIGHT bedding
2/ Threshold® Brass Task Lamp (Includes CFL Bulb) – ThresholdTM • Threshold • $56.99
3/ Le Labo The Noir 29 Perfume – 50ml-Colorless • Le Labo • $175
4/ Leather Sling Side Table – Acorn • $299
5/ Aesop Resurrection Aromatique Hand Balm • Aesop • $27
6/ Tampico Vegetable Fiber Skin Brush • Earth Therapeutics • $10
7/ “Bodum Classic Chambord Copper 8 Cup French Press Coffee Maker ” • Bodum • $49.99
8/ Eco friendly felted slippers • Simplicity of Felt • $81
9/ Vintage Booth & Williams Scenic New England, S/10 • $169
10/ Vintage White Porcelain Vase • WeLikeVintage • $55
11/ Cups and Saucers, S/4 • Snowe • $88
12/ Round Laminated Wooden Tray • $53
13/ La Niebla Floor Pillow • The Citizenry • $225
14/ King Size Mattress – Firm • Cocoon by Sealy • $999
15/ Station King • Bed Blue Dot • $1,299
16/ Baxton Studio Nelson Style Wooden Bench-natural • Baxton Studio • $295
17/ Lifestyle Brands 2’x3′ Sheepskin Rug, Gray • $89
18/ Safavieh Classic Vintage Red Cotton Rug (4′ x 6′) • Safavieh • $108.99
Ed. note: This post was sponsored by Cocoon by Sealy. The compensation received in exchange for placement on Wit & Delight is used to purchase props, hire a photographer, write/edit the blog post and support the larger team behind Wit & Delight.
While compensation was received in exchange for coverage, all thoughts and opinions are always my own. Sponsored posts like these allow for development of additional dynamic content to be produced, unsponsored. Thank you for supporting our partners!
Images: 2nd Truth photography
BY Kate Arends - May 19, 2016
Thank you for being here. For being open to enjoying life’s simple pleasures and looking inward to understand yourself, your neighbors, and your fellow humans! I’m looking forward to chatting with you.
Easily navigate all our recommended products across beauty, fashion, decor, and wellness.