Mix & Matched Patterns: DIY Stair Runner Made with Vintage Rugs

Interiors & Decor

DIY Vintage Stair Runner — Wit & Delight

I just couldn’t get this stair runner out of my head. Honestly, I think I obsessed about how I could achieve this myself for a reasonable cost, consumed me for a couple weeks. After doing a bunch of research and watching many, many tutorials on YouTube, I gave it a shot. I’m so excited with how it all came together.

What You’ll Need:

• 6-10 rugs in the width of your choice; measure your stairs first to determine the total length needed
  • Rug pads: measure your stairs first to determine the total length needed
  • Carpet knife or very sharp utility knife
  • Double-stick carpet tape
  • Pneumatic (or electric) staple gun
  • 1/2-inch staples
  • Tape measure
  • Yardstick or other straight edge
  • Painters Tape
  • Marker

Step One: Measure stairs. To figure out how many rugs you’ll need, measure the depth of the stair tread and the height of the riser. Multiply the total by the number of stairs; this is your total runner length.

Step Two: Decide on a rug width. Measure the width of the treads from end to end, or from end to banisters. Runners look best with a 2-3″ margin on either side of the rug. In my case, we decided on 2’x8″ – 2′-7″.

DIY Vintage Stair Runner — Wit & Delight

Step Three: Shop for rugs in the exact same width. This is the most tedious but more important part of getting this eclectic look. There are a couple ways to do it. Decide on the style of rug and the general color palette. This type of look works best with Turkish, Ikat, and Traditional patterns. There is enough variety within these styles to get an eclectic look without looking too wild. I decided to purchase all my rugs through ecarpetgallery.com for a couple reasons.

• They were affordable. Finding one-of-a-kind rugs that won’t break the bank is difficult.
  • I had purchased from them before. I knew they were legitimate and that the rugs were going to arrive in a quality that I could expect. Remember, vintage rugs do not look and feel like new ones! They need to be vacuumed and cleaned a bit.
  • They had standard sizes. Sometimes vintage rugs and the sites that sell them estimate the total width and length, or they come in a wide array of sizes. Because I wanted to minimize the cutting I had to do, making sure they were all the same width is super important.

Step Four: Plan your layout. We arranged them on the floor and decided we wanted the bolder patterns at the top and bottom of the stairs, with the simpler, less bold patterned sprinkled throughout the middle of the stairs. We decided that each rug would cover 2 steps, with the rugs making a “seam” where it was easiest to secure, at the base of the stairs.

DIY Vintage Stair Runner — Wit & Delight

Step Five: Set Guidelines. Measure each tread and place painters tape where each side of the rug should land. This helps keep the runners straight. Please do not eyeball it! I had to redo a couple rugs because I thought I could maintain a straight line on my own. Mistake!

DIY Vintage Stair Runner — Wit & Delight

Step Six: Create individual rug pads. Each stair tread needs a bit of padding a grip to help keep it in place. I cut these individually.

Step Seven: Tape into place. Tape rug pads down with double sided carpet tape. This stuff is STICKY.

Step Eight: Align the top and bottom. Align the top of the runner with the bottom edge of the first tread. We have two landings on our stairs, and most likely, you only have one. If you don’t have a landing, starting at the bottom of the first tread creates a cleaner look.

Step Nine: Staple the rugs in place.
a. Using a pneumatic staple gun, staple the runner in place at its top edge, approximately every 3 inches. Be sure to include staples on both of the outer edges.

b. Use a bolster chisel to pull the runner taut against the corner of the riser and the next tread. Staple against the bottom of the riser approximately every 3 inches, including both of the outer edges. If you’re using a striped runner, step back and check to make sure the stripes are straight before moving on.

c. Pull the loose end of the runner over the edge of the next stair tread and repeat b until complete.

DIY Vintage Stair Runner — Wit & Delight

Step Ten: Trim rugs. Using a straight edge and base of the stair, run a very sharp utility/carpet knife along the rug. There will be some unraveling. Try to avoid further unraveling the rug.

DIY Vintage Stair Runner — Wit & Delight

Step Eleven: Trim tassels. Trim the tassels off the next rug you’ll be securing to the stairs per your design. Slide it under the trimmed rug above and push any extra fibers into the crease with a bolster. This creates a tight seam and makes a clean look.

DIY Vintage Stair Runner — Wit & Delight

Step Twelve: Connect the rugs: Staple new rug to the top of the tread. Repeat steps nine – eleven until you’ve reached the last tread or landing.

DIY Vintage Stair Runner — Wit & Delight

Step Thirteen: Secure the seams.  To further secure the seams where two different rugs have been trimmed, run a glue gun or super glue deep into the fibers of the rug, leaving a thin application of glue. You can also use brass stair rods to keep rugs from unraveling.

DIY Vintage Stair Runner — Wit & Delight

If you have the capabilities and more patience than I do, take your rugs and a detailed design plan to a local carpet repair company. They can help you serge the edges of your rugs and stitch them together. You do run the risk of the seams not being perfectly aligned with your treads!

DIY Vintage Stair Runner — Wit & Delight

I hope this tutorial helped. I would recommend watching as many videos of runner installations as you can if this is your first time working with a staple gun (like me!).

BY Kate Arends - June 27, 2016

1. Helen

June 27th, 2016 at 10:41 am

This is so creative! I love it! Thanks for the tutorial!

xo Helen @ http://www.KaleidoscopeSpinning.com

2. Alina

June 27th, 2016 at 11:15 am

This is genius!! Thank you so much for sharing!

3. Stacy

June 27th, 2016 at 1:31 pm

This turned out so beautiful!

4. Anthony

July 1st, 2016 at 2:08 pm

I agree. This looks fantastic!

5. Courtney

June 27th, 2016 at 2:00 pm

I would love to do this in our next house if we have stairs! Until then…it could be fun to make a long hallway runner this way!

6. Monday Wrap Up… Again | ebb + flow

June 27th, 2016 at 6:01 pm

[…] Beautiful stair runner. […]

7. Anna Oates

June 27th, 2016 at 6:34 pm

I would have never, in a million years, thought of doing this- but it looks phenomenal! Brilliant idea!

8. Floored :: Genius Vintage Stair Runner Tutorial |

June 28th, 2016 at 9:54 am

[…] One of my favorite blogs is Wit & Delight. If you don’t have them on your instagram fee yet stop what your doing and add it. I have been thinking about the beige carpet on my stairs for a long time. I want to give them an update with wood and a runner. I have pinned this to my home Pinterest board to create my dream stairs someday. The vintage runner on these craftsman stairs is dreamy. I love the mix and match of vintage rugs for a very cozy and wordly vibe.  See the full tutorial via Wit & Delight. […]

9. Cynthia

June 30th, 2016 at 11:25 am

This is so adorable! I’m currently in the market for new house rugs, and would absolutely love to have something like this.
    Likely By Sea

10. Deanna Di Matteo

July 4th, 2016 at 4:34 pm

I think this looks better than your inspiration! ?

July 4th, 2016 at 5:10 pm

Thank you Deanna!!

12. I SPY INSPIRATION | Stairway Runner | drilltapp.com

July 6th, 2016 at 11:04 am

[…] VIA | 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, […]

13. I SPY INSPIRATION | Stairway Runner | Creative Hobby Ideas

July 10th, 2016 at 3:05 am

[…] VIA | 1,2, 3, 4, […]

14. Joyce

August 6th, 2016 at 5:49 pm

This is gorgeous and you, in my opinion, are so courageous to try and make it happen. You did a fabulous job and gave many of us inspiration to try it ourselves! Thank you….

15. Weekend Reading – drewloweryblog

August 13th, 2016 at 9:37 am

[…] My new favorite stair runner project. […]

16. Weekend Reading – Greta Bell Amazon Products

August 13th, 2016 at 6:10 pm

[…] My new favorite stair runner project. […]

17. Weekend Reading – Feed Creek

August 14th, 2016 at 1:49 am

[…] My new favorite stair runner project. […]

18. Tifany

September 8th, 2016 at 11:42 pm

This has got to be one of my most favorite DIY’s to date! The details you put into creating the staircase really show off here- just stunning!

Xx, Tiffany | http://www.moderndaydreamliving.com

September 13th, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Thanks Tifany!!

20. Kristen

October 3rd, 2016 at 8:35 pm

Kate – this looks amazing! I’m looking for a similar red runner for my bathroom but unfortunately cannot find one narrow enough on ecarpetgallery.com (I need something 2’2″ or smaller x 7-8′). Do you have any other favorite sites? Thanks!

October 3rd, 2016 at 10:10 pm

Hey! http://www.ecarpetgallery.com/ has TONS of these rugs. pretty affordable, too!

22. Beautiful DIY Staircase Makeovers | Love & Renovations

March 2nd, 2017 at 10:11 am

[…] Faded Plains // Wit & Delight […]

23. sozecile

April 11th, 2017 at 8:11 am

What Exactly is Penis Enlargement Remedy?

24. collinspenisbible

April 12th, 2017 at 8:18 am

They are putting carpet on the stairs.

25. GrowPenisBigger

April 13th, 2017 at 3:14 am

We have carpet in all rooms.

26. bedroomstamina

May 18th, 2017 at 12:36 am

We need rugs to measure the carpret.

27. Jenny

June 9th, 2017 at 2:04 pm

This is one of the most beautiful DIYs I’ve ever seen.

Any chance you’d share which rugs you picked out? I haven’t used ecarpetgallery.com before.

28. Tutu App Helper

September 16th, 2017 at 5:38 am

The apps are categorized, and you could quickly discover the application that you want. The modded version Games are classified separately considering.

29. Newbodydietplan Site

September 22nd, 2017 at 12:50 am

This interior decor idea is top quality.

30. dibubini

September 25th, 2017 at 12:47 am

We are a runner in the olympics.

31. luckypatchersguide

October 28th, 2017 at 1:56 am

You can customize stock as well as third-party Android applications as each your demands since Android is an open resource system which enables

32. DIY Staircase Makeover Ideas - Inspiration and Plans - Anika's DIY Life

January 3rd, 2018 at 12:42 pm

[…] then there is this by Wit and Delight… it gives me heart eyes just looking at it! The mismatched rugs, the […]

33. Lynn

January 17th, 2018 at 8:09 pm

Add Bolster Chisel to “What You’ll Need” – we didn’t have one!

34. Lisa

February 6th, 2018 at 8:40 pm

These interior and exterior pictures are really awesome

35. BiggerPenisExercises

February 7th, 2018 at 9:36 am

These stairs design look awesome. I love them

36. Harry & Moyra

February 26th, 2018 at 8:14 am

Hello Kate.
    Great article!
    We have a house in the far north of Scotland. The interior is Arts&Crafts. We want to make our stair runner a “collage” of Kilim runners. Our staircase has a four step winder at the top. Will this present problems as kilims can easily fall apart if cut. Any tips would be great. Best wishes – I would love to attach a picture of our house but can’t see how to.

37. John Collins

April 8th, 2018 at 9:23 am

The Penis Enlargement Bible is your guide to the most effective natural penis growth techniques on the planet.

38. 5 Ways to Dress Up Your Staircase - Wit & Delight

July 5th, 2018 at 12:39 pm

[…] I spent a number of hours deciding if I should add a runner or simply paint them. We ended up creating a runner made from vintage rugs that I’m really proud of, but it’s certainly not for the faint of heart! So I decided to poll the editorial team and […]

39. Bathmate review

August 6th, 2018 at 2:15 am

Bathmate Hydromax the most advanced penis developer in the world, Increase Penis Size in Length and Girth.

40. getbiggerpenis

August 21st, 2018 at 2:53 am

Best penis enlargement review products

41. Frauen Modetrends – 13 Home Decor DIY Projekte zum Sprungstart Spring

October 8th, 2018 at 12:32 pm

[…] Vintage Teppich Stair Runner von Wit & Delight // Die Gäste sind immer schockiert zu erfahren, dass ich diesen Vintage Treppenläufer selbst im Eingangsbereich meines Hauses gebaut habe. Die Wahrheit ist, dass ich bis heute keinen in Geschäften gesehen habe, die mir besser gefallen. Das ist die Schönheit von DIY, du hast die Freiheit, etwas genau so zu gestalten, wie du es magst. […]

42. mode femme populaire 13 projets de bricolage pour la maison de printemps - mode femme populaire

October 10th, 2018 at 4:24 am

[…] Vintage Rug Stair Runner de Wit & Delight // Les clients sont toujours choqués d’apprendre que j’ai moi-même construit ce vintage cage d’escalier dans l’entrée de ma maison. La vérité est que, à ce jour, je n’en ai toujours pas vu dans les magasins que j’aime mieux. C’est la beauté du bricolage, vous avez la liberté de concevoir quelque chose exactement comme vous le souhaitez. […]

43. Faces of Kibera