Why Golden Milk is My New Nightly Obsession

Health & Wellness

Have you ever tried Golden Milk?

If you happen to be shaking your head no, I’ll put it simply: YOU’RE TOTALLY MISSING OUT!

I promise that wasn’t me shouting at you. That was just me saying — in the most enthusiastically way possible — you’ve GOT to hop aboard the golden-milk bandwagon ASAP.

OK, enough with the all-caps.

But seriously, this creamy, hot milk (dairy-free) drink — also commonly referred to as Turmeric Tea — is more than just a tasty treat. It’s practically the mother of all drinks. Not only is it bubbling with nutrients that will boost your immune system, it’s also prepared with warming spices such as cinnamon and ginger, which will ease your mind and relax your soul, all while doing so much more.

In fact, ever since I discovered this wonder-drink recipe, it’s become my new nightly obsession. I can’t 100 percent explain how it works its magic, but with each sip, I feel a sense of rejuvenation and restoration seeping into my veins. The ultimate nightcap, if you ask me.

After doing a bit of research, I did uncover the two stars of the show: turmeric and ginger.

If you aren’t very familiar with turmeric, prepare to be amazed. See, this powerful golden spice is known for reducing inflammation — aka assisting with gas, bloating, and digestive comfort — and serves as an antioxidant. One study even stated it’s “shown therapeutic potential against a number of human diseases,” including cancer and also to even help with Alzheimer’s. Pretty incredible, right?

Now let’s not forget about the goodness of ginger. From its antimicrobial properties that can stop viruses before they start attacking your immune system, to its delicious spicy flavor, it’s no surprise why this flowering plant has rooted into a well-known remedy for nausea and digestive issues for centuries.

With all these health benefits — including many more from the coconut milk and oil —  it’d be a shame not to give this dream drink a chance, don’t you think?

But wait, it gets even better.

Would you believe me if I said Golden Milk is super easy to whip up, too?  It’s true. Whether you’re seeking to sip on this tea morning, noon, or like me, every single night, it’s easy to squeeze into any routine. So if you’re ready to mix up your own batch, check out the recipe below.

I mean, dairy-free, vegan, healthy, and delicious — can it get any better?

Golden Milk / Turmeric Tea

Ingredients:

• 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, preferably coconut milk beverage or almond milk
  • 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
  • 1 (1-inch) piece turmeric, unpeeled, thinly sliced (or 1/2 teaspoon dried turmeric)
  • 1 (1/2-inch) piece ginger, unpeeled, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
  • Ground cinnamon (for serving)

Directions:

• Whisk coconut milk, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, honey, coconut oil, peppercorns, and 1 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a low boil
  • Reduce heat and simmer until flavors have melded, about 10 minutes
  • Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into mugs and top with a dash of cinnamon

*Because this tea can be stored for a couple of days, feel free to store any leftovers in an airtight container and chill. It’s also delicious served cold, too!

Image sources: 1 / 2 / 34

Kathryn McLamb is a writer and photographer on a mission to inspire others to celebrate the everyday. She runs her blog Pineapple Street, and when she’s not plotting her next travel adventure, you can find her wandering the colorful city streets of San Francisco.

BY Kathryn M. - September 24, 2017

1. Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

September 24th, 2017 at 10:39 am

I’ve heard a lot about this golden milk, but never made it. I don’t like the smell of turmeric but my parents always add it to their rice. I think they’d love this.

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

2. Kathryn McLamb

September 25th, 2017 at 3:21 pm

Oh, I’ve never thought about adding turmeric to rice but that sounds amazing! Hope your parents enjoy this tea!

3. Holly

September 25th, 2017 at 2:16 am

This looks incredible & so easy to make! I can’t wait to give it a try this evening before bed. YUM! Thanks for sharing.

Holly from The Art of Being Holly xo

4. Kathryn McLamb

September 25th, 2017 at 3:21 pm

Thanks for your comment, Holly! Hope you enjoy the recipe!

5. Kim Trask

September 25th, 2017 at 4:46 am

Hi,
    I have this lovely drink or varients of it, regularly.
    Sometimes for a single cup I take a teabag of green tea
    Quarter of a teaspoon turmeric powder, a couple of grinds of
    Black pepper, a shake of ginger powder and a little ground
    Cinnamon and a teaspoonful of runny honey. Pour on very hot water on and stir with a small wooden spoon.Enjoy!
    At night I have the milky version.

6. Kathryn McLamb

September 25th, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Oh, your version sounds super tasty, too! I’ll have to give it a try!

7. Fortune Dushey

September 25th, 2017 at 6:46 am

You had me at hello! This drink sounds like it really hits the spot and I love that is has so many benefits. IS the calorie count high?

8. Kathryn McLamb

September 25th, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Yes, I was immediately drawn to the yummy taste of this tea, and the benefits are certainly a great bonus! I’m not exactly sure how many calories are in this particular recipe, but I would assume they are on the lower end!

9. Krystal

September 25th, 2017 at 9:34 am

I love making golden milk in the evenings; it’s really comforting when the temperature drops!

I’ve never thought about making a big batch of it and chilling. Does it lose its potency? Does the coconut oil solidify and get funky?

10. Kathryn McLamb

September 25th, 2017 at 3:24 pm

Hi Krystal – Thank you for your comment! Whenever I drink this recipe cold, I make sure to shake up the batch before drinking and it’s turned out great for me!

11. Breamons

September 25th, 2017 at 11:31 am

I’ve heard so much about this- I’m glad to hear someone who says they like it!
    It seems like a modified chai tea?

12. Kathryn McLamb

September 25th, 2017 at 3:25 pm

Hello! Yes, I would say so! It’s not as spicy as a normal chai though. Hope you enjoy it 🙂

13. Nicolette

September 25th, 2017 at 2:34 pm

I love Golden Milk! It’s definitely a comforting drink. I recommend sticking with coconut milk, as it’s the creamiest, but soy would blend well with spices too. Also, tip: Use utensils and pots that don’t show stains, the turmeric will stain everything – no whites!
    Nicolette | http://www.nicolette.co

14. Kathryn McLamb

September 25th, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Yes, you are so right! Turmeric has a tendency to stain everything!! Even when I think I’ve cleaned everything up, I still tend to find the highlighter yellow residue everywhere in the morning. AH!

15. Allie

September 25th, 2017 at 2:47 pm

This sounds so yummy, but as a pregnant woman, I have chosen to stay away from turmeric. There have been scientific studies that say it is safe in small, occasional amounts for flavoring food (obviously there are a lot of cultures that use this regularly without issue), but it is known to stimulate uterine contractions early (ie lead to miscarriage or premature birth) and can increase bleeding risk, in addition to birth defects. Just be careful!

16. Kathryn McLamb

September 25th, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Oh, definitely good to know. Thanks so much for your comment!

17. Mun

September 25th, 2017 at 5:13 pm

The creaminess of the drink had me at hello!

18. Kathy Gonzalez

September 25th, 2017 at 8:57 pm

I love turmeric and it’s benefits and often drink the hot tea version Kim Trask mentioned. I am excited to try the milky version now. Thank you for this recipe.

19. Bee

September 28th, 2017 at 4:57 pm

I love golden milk! I am a vegan so I use agave syrup instead of honey.

20. Elise L.

September 29th, 2017 at 12:09 am

ngl i was quite disappointed when i read that this is a ‘milk’ that isn’t a milk since i’m a fan of milk in general and not very fond of ginger or turmeric. but, the thought of combing them with coconut milk sounds like a dream (because coconut milk tastes awesome!) so maybe, i might try this in the future for a healthy indulgence at night or in the morning. plus, the photo you took is fueling my curiosity!

21. frappy friday #5 – ashley ann

September 29th, 2017 at 9:07 am

[…] interest you in golden milk?  Was I the only one who didn’t know this was a thing?  Because apparently everyone loves […]

22. Eme

September 30th, 2017 at 10:29 am

I usually drink golden milk in the daytime, but I think you’ve reminded me that I can drink this at night before bed too!

23. Pamela

October 1st, 2017 at 4:31 pm

So….it’s about 5 pm and I’m seriously enjoying a cup. Does that mean I can go to bed now? 😉
    Do use turmeric root (I only had powdered…OK sub), do use a really good quality coconut oil (I didn’t and I can tell).
    I did use a coconut/almond milk that’s delicious alone. This cup is marvelous….thank you SO much! I am healthier now 😊

24. Brooke

October 2nd, 2017 at 7:47 am

I’ve been drinking Golden Milk for about three years. A few years ago I found out I was allergic to formaldehyde, which cause hives and skin peeling externally and inflammation internally. After a significant amount of research I decided to look a holistic path to health. This has worked for me. I use, and now grow, dried turmeric, and dried ginger, along with maca and perpercorns. I put all in a spice grinder. I generally make enough for 30 days and put in air-tight jars. I found that the natural oils in the spices are much more beneficial over spices that may have been ground months ago.

25. Freitag Style | Lilaliv

October 20th, 2017 at 2:01 am

[…] dazu eine Tasse Kurkumamilch […]

26. Freitag Style – liiv.blog

October 20th, 2017 at 2:03 am

[…] dazu eine Tasse Kurkumamilch […]

27. Jennifer Jones

November 18th, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Did you know that you can discover insane amounts of ultra-fast and fresh ELITE and SOCKS5 proxies at https://publicproxy.net/ – try them! Free for all!

28. Dennis

December 16th, 2017 at 9:08 am

I love milk! I need to try this Golden Milk.

29. nita

February 15th, 2018 at 5:32 am

This looks divine and is such a unique twist on warmed milk. Definitely bookmarking for later. Thanks for sharing 🙂