Unexpected Ways Self-Help Books Changed My Life

Health & Wellness

When you walk into a bookstore, where do you head first? The travel section? Non-fiction? Thrillers? Well, for me, the path is always the same: Self-help here I come. While I love a good murder-mystery every now and then, nothing can compare to the amount of inspiration that seeps into my mind whenever I’m turning the pages of a self-help book.

I guess you could call me a self-help junkie. But see, I wasn’t always this way.

I used to find the self-help section a bit awkward. Despite how curious I was about these “how to fix ___” books, the possibilities of being judged or misperceived by others who’d witness me perusing these shelves kept me afar. Crazy, right? Even today as I write this post, I shake my head for allowing fear to be such a roadblock. But those negative connotations sure did melt away the day I saw the vibrant orange spine and the words “The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck.”

And that, my friend, is how my love affair with self-help books began.

From opening my mind to the power of perception to creating healthier habits and becoming more confident overall, needless to say, I’ve found this section to have been extremely helpful over the years… hence the name. And I’ve realized there’s nothing embarrassing about diving nose first into these books. Wanting to become uplifted, inspired, and most importantly, seeking a way to unlock the key to living a more fulfilled life — that’s something to be proud of!

And to think just one browse is all it takes to uncover the gold mine awaiting one’s attention. So whether you’re seeking to lean into your desire for self-development, or simply seeking a new kind of literature, trust me, self-help is the way to go. In fact, below are three reasons this section has forever changed my life… for the better.

1. My mind has been re-opened to the joys of learning.

I used to think the only way to consistently engage and stimulate your mind was through school. (I know, I know — another crazy thought.) Yet self-help reconstructed that mindset, and in some ways, this section has become a classroom for me. From furthering my understanding of psychology and physiology to reading more about history and humanities, I am constantly learning new things, making the overflowing cup of knowledge incredibly invigorating!

2. I have finally realized the importance of prioritization.

Whether it’s worrying over nonsense drama, obtaining that “perfect” body, or trying to please everyone else before yourself, so many of us spend the majority of our precious time on things that — when you think about it — really don’t matter. I know I used to.

Yet self-help — specifically this brilliant, hilarious bookshed the light I desperately needed and taught me the importance of prioritization. It was my personal assistant in helping me realize the people, places, and things that are most important in my life. Once I stopped giving my f*ck’s away to the things that didn’t matter, I truly did start living a better life.

3. By creating healthier habits, I now enjoy freedom from anxiety.

With the guidance of self-help, I have not only experienced personal growth, practiced self-work, and embraced self-acceptance I have also created healthier habits, too. Thanks to these books, I now cherish meditation and have chosen to simplify various areas in my life, which in turn has freed my mind from the tight grips of anxiety.

Now, do I still have days where I wrestle with negative thoughts and emotions? Absolutely. But overall, self-help has helped me reshape myself into a happier, healthier, and more confident individual. And while I still have a lot to learn  and will most definitely have many more curve balls thrown my way thanks to self-help, I’m up for the challenge.

Happy Reading!

Image sources: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

BY Kathryn - September 18, 2017

1. Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

September 18th, 2017 at 10:29 am

Self-help books have yet to really help me in a significant way. They’ve made small changes to my life here and there and are nice reads, but I still have to find the self-help book right for me!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

2. Kathryn McLamb

September 19th, 2017 at 11:07 am

Hi Charmaine,

Chasing Slow by Erin Loechner is one of my favorites. The author makes you feel as if you’re chatting with one of your best friends!

As always, thanks for your comment 🙂

3. KTDO

September 18th, 2017 at 10:39 am

YES!!! ::raised hands emoji:: I’ve been on this self-help book train lately and it’s been an INCREDIBLE experience, truly! Fulfilling, enlightening, fascinating, inspiring, gentle, loving!

4. Kathryn McLamb

September 19th, 2017 at 11:07 am

Right!? So happy to hear you’ve had a lovely self-help experience, too! 🙂

5. Mia

September 18th, 2017 at 10:39 am

I’ve been lacking the time to read lately (ugh, excuses, excuses, I know…), but next on my list will definitely be a self-help book! I’m all about broadening my knowledge and I definitely have an interest in psychology, so I think I’d really enjoy reading some! I’ve heard so many great things about The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck.

Mia | http://www.verymuchmia.com

6. Kathryn McLamb

September 19th, 2017 at 11:08 am

My thoughts exactly! I love how these kinds of books open a whole new world of knowledge! I definitely recommend The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck. It’s such a fun read!

7. Eva

September 18th, 2017 at 12:07 pm

I especially enjoy self help books for creatives, as I feel like I need to learn how to better navigate my creative moods and be more productive. Glad to hear they’ve helped you a lot!

8. Kathryn McLamb

September 19th, 2017 at 11:09 am

Yes, those are great books, too! I always turn to them whenever I’m experiencing a creative lull. Thanks for reading, Eva!

9. singapore interior design

September 18th, 2017 at 10:02 pm

This is so thoughtful, exactly what design should be about. Love the way the focal points are created.

10. John

September 19th, 2017 at 12:47 am

I absolutely LOVE self-help books. I currently have about 7 books in my room that I plan on reading…. someday lol. I’m currently reading The Power by Rhonda Byrne. It’s a fairly easy and quick read that talks about the law of attraction and how to apply it to your everyday lives.

If you haven’t read The Power or heard about it, I’d highly recommend buying it and reading it. *two thumbs up* 😀

11. Kathryn McLamb

September 19th, 2017 at 11:10 am

Your reading list sounds like mine! So much to read, so little time, right!? I will definitely add The Power to my list! Happy Reading 🙂

12. Rachel

September 19th, 2017 at 5:25 am

Could you write a blog post on your favourite self-help books? Would really love to hear some suggestions!

13. Tracie

September 19th, 2017 at 11:30 am

I’m a self-help junkie, too! If I’m not in the cookbook aisle, I’m definitely perusing the self-help section. The problem for me is the execution of what I’ve learned. I think there’s a tendency to want to put everything into action but then get overwhelmed by all the ideas. Which is a real problem for us self-help enthusiasts. 🙂 One that I read lately that I found really inspiring was Danielle LaPorte’s White Hot Truth, which is all about our obsession with improving ourselves and the implications.

14. Elizabeth

September 22nd, 2017 at 6:41 am

I love this! I too have struggled with this genre and wondered if I was strange for enjoying it so much. But this year I’ve read so many things that helped me! I, too, loved Marie Kondo, and I credit that book with sorting a lot of unnecessary out of my life. Two books from this year that have helped me figure out my path of where I’m going and what I’m doing are Grit by Angela Duckworth and Essentialism by Greg McKeown–must reads if you haven’t already!

15. What's Your Emotional Temperature? - Pineapple Street Blog

March 3rd, 2018 at 12:33 pm

[…] 3. Unexpected Ways Self-Help Books Changed My Life […]

16. Sshreno

August 10th, 2018 at 4:53 am

Hello
    Thanks for sharing for your wonderful experience and good information.