5 Ways to Have a Low-Key Halloween

Food & Entertainment

5 Ways to Have a Low-Key Halloween – Wit & Delight

As much as I love Halloween, there are some years where I just can’t do the classic dress-up, dinner party, whole nine yards production. Especially now that I have August. Of course, we are planning to dress him up in something adorable, but part of me just wants to stay at home, warm my feet by the fire and hand out candy to all the cute trick-or-treaters. And now that I’m nearly 7 months pregnant, this year is most definitely one of those years that I’m pining for a more laid-back Halloween. No costumes or parties, Joe and I just added a touch of Halloween decorations in and around the house to get us into the spirit. For those of you that also want to partake in a more mellow Halloween, I’ve put together 5 different ways to have a chill Halloween this season! Let me know what you think, and I’d also love to hear what you are up to on All Hallows’ Eve!

5 Ways to Have a Low-Key Halloween – Wit & Delight

1. Not in the mood to deal with a hoard of trick-or-treaters? We get it! But, don’t be the scrooge that doesn’t leave candy. You can quickly put together a cute sign and bowl of candy to leave out. Make sure there’s enough for the night, or refill a couple times throughout the evening. If you are up for greeting dressed-up kiddos, plop yourself in a chair on your porch or near you with the TV angled toward you, and hand out candy all night!

5 Ways to Have a Low-Key Halloween – Wit & Delight

2. Put up some super simple decorations. Interior designer and all-around cool girl Emily Henderson decked out her house for Halloween but in the easiest way possible. Check out her post to get some inspiration and try your hand at a few near-effortless decorations.

5 Ways to Have a Low-Key Halloween – Wit & Delight

3. Probably the most low-key Halloween option of them all– binge-watch Halloween TV episodes (or anything Halloween, really). Brit + Co has a great round-up of their favorite Halloween TV show episodes. Cozy up on the couch and get watching!

4. Whip up some yummy treats for yourself! Halloween-themed or not, make some easy goodies for your eating pleasure. There are a ton of no-bake recipes out there, like these pumpkin pretzelsBoo Bark, pumpkin cheesecake truffles, or graveyard chocolate dirt cups. You’ve got the trick-or-treaters covered, now treat yourself!

5 Ways to Have a Low-Key Halloween – Wit & Delight

5. Or go out! Escape the Halloween festivities by going out for the night. Choose your favorite casual restaurant or go see a movie in theaters. Bring a date or a bunch of girlfriends out for a low-key Halloween night– no costumes or candy necessary!

Image sources: 1 / 23 / 4 / 5 / 6

BY Kate Arends - October 30, 2017

1. aceworldtrading

October 30th, 2017 at 10:23 am

good post. nice painting

2. Mailinh

October 30th, 2017 at 12:17 pm

Even though these are low-key activities, they all sound fun to me. 🙂

3. Holly

October 30th, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Love all these ideas, it is nice sometimes to just relax and I love the low key interiors tips – orange seems to clash with everything in my house! Will definitely be binge watching some Halloween TV – especially The Simpsons. Happy Halloween

Holly from The Art of Being Holly xo

4. Arteterapia

October 30th, 2017 at 2:05 pm

I’d rather get away! But the tips are lovely. I like working with orange’s mandalas in hallowen.

5. Erin

October 30th, 2017 at 3:18 pm

We usually carve pumpkins the day of (any earlier and they rot before the day gets here) and then do a family costume with the dogs. My husband will be out of town this year, so I’m skipping the pumpkins and dressing up as the hamburglar and my dogs will be hamburgers.

6. lily

October 30th, 2017 at 6:37 pm

My girlfriends and I have an annual ‘coven meeting’ on halloween – we pick a halloween movie (Practical Magic, Hocus Pocus) to play on the projector starting early in the night (6:30 this year so we can all be home and in bed by 10!), wear cozy/black things, light candles, drink wine, bring snacks and gossip. No boys allowed. They *maybe* get to hand out candy on the porch. It’s become a really treasured tradition!

7. Cat

October 31st, 2017 at 2:50 pm

I am not a Halloween person (I know…). Now that I am at a weird age where I don’t have kids to go trick-or-treating with and can’t go by myself or it’ll look creepy, I always have low-key Halloween. This year, we are celebrating my boyfriend’s late birthday and watching some non-scary Halloween-themed movies with lots of candy I bought 🙂

Cat

8. Mia

October 31st, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Binge-watching Halloween TV shows and movies and baking festive treats is my kinda Halloween night!

Mia | http://www.verymuchmia.com

9. Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

October 31st, 2017 at 10:26 pm

I love these suggestions, makes me wish I spent more of an effort with Halloween. I basically skipped it this year. No celebrations or decorations at all!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog