When it comes to entertaining, it’s no surprise that when preparing for our guests’ arrival, the conversation always revolves around me asking these three questions – What are we cooking, drinking, and ultimately, how we are presenting this to everyone?! I have, and always will be, all about the tableware. Although lately, I’ve really toned down my inner Martha Stewart; I now consider my tableware and party-planning approach to be a lot more functional. I don’t obsess over the minute details the way I used to. I just don’t have the time or headspace for that anymore.
Now that spring is officially here, it’s time for a little dishware refresh, so I sat down with the team and we pulled together 5 simple tips for elevating your entertaining game and upgrading your tableware. What specific ways do you pull everything together for a special night? I would love to hear in the comments below!
1. Mix and match // If you’re planning to host a larger-sized dinner party, don’t be afraid to mix and match tableware in order to accommodate every guest. Stick to a chosen color scheme and use florals or foliage to pull everything together. Pretty soon you’ll have a tablescape that looks perfectly imperfect! I love the thought of mixing unexpected materials. Try weaving copper plates, brass silverware, and eggshell plates into one cohesive dinnerware set. The different materials and textures unexpectedly compliment one another.
2. Get rid of chipped or unused items // Dishes can be hard to get rid of. If dishes were handed down to us by family and they hold a sentimental value of some sort. If this is the case, keep one as a memento and let go of the remaining stacks that dust is accumulating on. There is no reason to hang on to dishware you don’t ever plan on using!
3. Pick a palette // Decide what metals and colors you want your tableware to have. It also might be nice to have more than one set so you can oscillate between the two. The palette you select should feel unified and understated, as not to take away from the main attraction, the meal. Keep the color palette in mind when choosing florals, candles, topiaries, placemats, and other accents.
4. Invest in quality // Being something you use on a daily basis, tableware is an important investment and quality should be taken into consideration. Do your research before purchasing and choose tableware that will survive the wear and tear of everyday use. A few of my favorite tableware companies right now are Snowe, Unison, CB2, The Foundry Home Goods and Canvas Home.
5. Host a dinner party to show it all off // Invite your friends over and showcase your refreshed tablescape next time there is a call for celebration. A thoughtful table setting will take your next gathering from ordinary to extraordinary.
Set Of 8 Bento Dinner Plates • CB2 • $49.95
Emile Henry Round Ceramic Dinner Plate • Emile Henry • $19
Dinner Plate • west elm • $40
Urban Outfitters 12-Piece Modern Dinnerware Set • Urban Outfitters • $99
Crisp Matte Black Dinner Plate • CB2 • $7.95
American Atelier Checkered Dinner Set (16 PC) • American Atelier • $65
Hotel Collection Black Line Dinner Bowl, Created for Macy’s • Hotel Collection • $17.99
Ferm Living Party Bamboo Dinner set • ferm LIVING • $25
RORSTRAND Swedish Grace Porcelain Dinner Plate • Rorstrand • $18
LSA Set of Four Otis White Wine Glasses • LSA International • $50
Kosta Boda Bruk Large Tumblers (Set of 2) • Kosta Boda • $19.95
Stoneware Mug Set (2) • BHLDN • $100
Zodax Seraphina Thick Chevron Highball Glasses (Set of 6) • $135
Anthropologie Karuma Tumbler • Anthropologie • $11.20
Sagaform Oval Oak Water and White Wine Decanter & Oak Stopper • Sagaform • $30
Kartio 7oz Tumbler Set Rain • Iittala • $22
ANTHROPOLOGIE Bella Highball Glass • Anthropologie • $14
Mikasa Laura Set of 4 Crystal Highball Glasses • Mikasa • $29.99
Noritake Dinnerware, Colorwave Chip & Dip • Noritake • $59.99
Food52 Still Life Pitcher • $120
Godinger Serveware La Cucina Marble Round Tray with Glass Dome • Godinger • $59.99
LIPPER INTERNATIONAL Acacia Straight-Side Serving Bowl • Lipper • $60
Jackson Serving Platter • $108
Anthropologie Blush Serving Set • Anthropologie • $98
Helms Gold Cheese Knives Set of 3 • CB2 • $14.95
Noritake Serveware, Kona Wood Rectangular Platter • Noritake • $18
KROSNO Krosno Bond Martini Pitcher With Stirrer • $49.99
Williams Sonoma Vista Hammered Copper Flatware Place Setting • Williams-Sonoma • $40–144
Cambridge Indira by Cambridge Anya 5 Piece Place Setting • Cambridge Silversmiths • $31.99
Ricci Silversmith 20-Piece Rapallo Flatware Service • $210
Lenox 5-Pc. Colebrook Place Setting • Lenox • $79.99
Michael Aram Wheat Gold Collection 5-Piece Place Setting • Michael Aram • $110
Hampton Forge Argent Orfevres by Hampton Forge Doric Black 5-Piece Place Setting • Hampton Forge • $44.99
Michael Aram 5-Piece Twig Flatware Place Setting • Michael Aram • $75
Sabre Bistrot 5-Piece Place Setting • Sabre • $65
Hampton Forge Skandia By Hampton Forge Refined Gold-Tone 5-Pc. Place Setting • Hampton Forge • $39.99
BY Kate Arends - April 6, 2018
Thank you for being here. For being open to enjoying life’s simple pleasures and looking inward to understand yourself, your neighbors, and your fellow humans! I’m looking forward to chatting with you.