Everything I Know About Lighting and How to Set the Mood in Your Home

Interiors & Decor

Since the first time I moved into an apartment of my own, I’ve abided by a personal checklist of requirements that must be met. For example, I insist on having a gas stovetop. Until you live with an electric one, you don’t realize what a luxury it is to live with a gas stove (cooking is muchhh easier). Lighting is another deal breaker. The quality of light in a space has a major impact on both the feel and functionality of a room, dictating the way people interact and move throughout. It is actually so important to me that natural light is the first thing I notice when entering or stepping into a space for the first time. So it was no surprise when I instantly fell in love with the sunshine abundant house we now call home. Relying on the natural light that gleams through the windows made my job rather easy; I sprinkled floor and table lamps throughout, with the addition of several sconces and voila! Our place looked great.

Then, in 2015, Joe and I remodeled and refreshed the main and lower floor of our house. Our goal was to turn our home into an inviting place that people were drawn to and wanted to spend time in. Again, I made lighting a top-priority knowing people gravitate to light the same way moths do to a flame. While remodeling, I learned a thing or two about establishing the quintessential lighting that I hadn’t known prior.

First, you must understand the two most common types of lighting: task and ambient. Task lighting allows us to do a task (makes sense), such as read a book or cook a meal. Ambient lighting helps us navigate a room which includes pendants, chandeliers, or recessed lighting. Typically, I like to select my ambient lighting first then decide on my task lighting. Variety is key, so I recommend working in layers until all necessary areas are illuminated to your liking. Lastly, take size into consideration as a disproportionate fixture can throw off the design mojo of any space.

Since completing the remodel three years back, Joe and I have tasked ourselves to make small updates here and there, to keep our investment well maintained. Although most things have lasted, Joe recently noticed the pendant light hanging above our dining room table was starting to crack and it was also overheating. Concerned it was a fire hazard, replacing the existing lighting was next on our to-do list.

Shortly after, I was put in touch with the highly-esteemed lighting retailer, Hudson Valley Lighting. Striving to create an “out-of-the-box” experience, Hudson Valley Lighting offers a diverse range of lighting options to match a wide variety of styles. Their product offering includes wall sconces, lamps, pendant lights and more at a number of price points.

Here is an overview of W&D’s favorite designs and styles for Hudson Valley Lighting:

Abrams $1,300, Ace $138, Amhurst $1,238, Bertram $320, Canton $1,520, Chambers $1500, Fairport $316, Garden City $396, Astrid $789,

Ed. note: This post was sponsored by Hudson Valley Lighting. The compensation received in exchange for placement on Wit & Delight is used to purchase props, hire a photographer, write/edit the blog post and support the larger team behind Wit & Delight.

While compensation was received in exchange for coverage, all thoughts and opinions are always my own. Sponsored posts like these allow for the development of additional dynamic content to be produced, unsponsored. Thank you for supporting our partners!

BY Kate Arends - July 31, 2018

1. Therese

August 1st, 2018 at 8:28 am

Thank you for the tips! Amazing picks!

2. Andreas De Martini

August 5th, 2018 at 3:32 pm

Hey Kate,
    really appreciate this post. Your place looks amazing! Your selection of lighting is so beautiful – I especially like the “Astrid” light.

Looking forward to more articles from you 🙂

Best,
    Andreas

3. July

August 9th, 2018 at 8:59 am

It’s great guide for home. Thanks you!

4. John Donovan

August 15th, 2018 at 11:32 am

Good lighting is important to any home! It is important to figure out the mood you want each room to have and then get the lighting that best captures it. In your examples here, lighting really does capture the mood!

5. Intuit QuickBooks Support

August 16th, 2018 at 2:07 am

It’s a very helpful article about decorating your home. It helps you about lightning. Thanks to the Author.

6. LoftSpiration

September 7th, 2018 at 9:05 am

Cool tips! 😉 thx so much!

7. hp support

September 26th, 2018 at 2:47 am

It’s great guiding for home. keep posting like it.

8. kanchipuramsarees

September 29th, 2018 at 7:41 am

looking good

9. IDUS Furniture

October 8th, 2018 at 5:02 am

A really nice article on the lighting of a room. The task and ambient lighting is a good way to arrange home decor accessories for a better view.

10. Microsoft Live Chat Support

October 12th, 2018 at 2:42 am

Decorating the home as per your choice is a tough task. This article gives ideas to lighting the home.

11. luxuryarizonarealtors

November 25th, 2018 at 9:19 pm

Thank you for the tips!

12. HP Computer Support

November 30th, 2018 at 9:00 am

HP Laptop stands as the top-selling laptop manufacturer, which also offers other products such as a printer, scanner, USB drives and more. The HP Laptops are combined with high-quality components and top-end features. HP Laptop is the device which can ease a task and acquire with feature-rich qualities. HP Laptops are best known for its excellent quality and better service to their customers as HP always looks for their customers’ needs. HP Computer Support