Interiors & Decor

6 Easy-to-Grow, Can't-Kill Houseplants For Beginners – Wit & Delight

There’s something very magical about filling a home with greenery. No matter the space or size, it seems lush, and happy houseplants always know the way to livening up any room. These little guys do everything in their might to lift our spirits, and yet why do so many of us fall short when keeping them alive?

Please tell me you’ve had your fair share of killing plants, right?

Phew.

Yet after a little research — and a lot of plant-killing guilt — I finally found the best houseplants for beginners. Yes, these will need a bit of water and TLC, but other than that these plants are easy to grow and pretty tough to kill.

Trust me, if I can cultivate a green thumb, you can. Everyone can. The whole world can. So whether you’re looking for some greenery to thrive in your apartment, office, dorm room, or even a dark, dismal corner, these plants have your back!

6 Easy-to-Grow, Can't-Kill Houseplants For Beginners – Wit & Delight1. Prayer Plant

Adored for its fun foliage, the Prayer Plant is a hardy indoor plant that is super easy to grow and maintain. This type of houseplant does best in bright, indirect sunlight. Although, it can be somewhat tolerant of dimly-lit areas, too. Feed it with warm water about every two weeks while showing it some love, and it will do the rest of the work for you.

6 Easy-to-Grow, Can't-Kill Houseplants For Beginners – Wit & Delight2. Split Leaf Philodendron

When it comes to impossible-to-kill-house-plants, the Split Leaf Philodendron will always take the crown. This large-and-in-charge houseplant makes a great addition to any space. It thrives when exposed to bright, indirect light (even artificial light!) and should be kept evenly moist. The best part? This plant even grows edible fruit that tastes like pineapple. Plus, you can cut off one of the huge leaves and keep it in a vase for up to a month. Talk about a win-win!

6 Easy-to-Grow, Can't-Kill Houseplants For Beginners – Wit & Delight3. Air Plants

Three words: no soil required. These tiny plants redefine little-to-no-maintenance, as they only require about a misting every now and then. Even if you consider yourself to be the most neglectful gardener, you can keep these babies alive.

6 Easy-to-Grow, Can't-Kill Houseplants For Beginners – Wit & Delight4. Lucky Bamboo

If you’re looking to infuse some fresh air into your office space, the Lucky Bamboo is for you. Not only does this perennial plant thrive in even the stalest of working conditions (bad lighting, poor air quality, sporadically watered, etc.), but it’s also believed to enhance positive energy and bring about good luck. Who knows, that luck could bring about a promotion?!

6 Easy-to-Grow, Can't-Kill Houseplants For Beginners – Wit & Delight5. Ponytail Palm

Also known as the Bottle Palm, this plant is another low-maintenance winner. With its large, long truck that stores water, this palm is practically indestructible. It is happiest when watered once a week and situated in an extra sunny spot.

6 Easy-to-Grow, Can't-Kill Houseplants For Beginners – Wit & Delight 6. Succulents and Cacti

I bet you knew this one was coming. But how could succulents and cacti not be on a houseplants-for-beginners list!? Forget maintenance — these plants practically thrive on neglect. These cuties can seriously take the heat, so be sure to place them in the sunniest spot of a space. Window sills are a great option. Water sparingly and they will be your forever companion!

Images sources: 12 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

BY Kathryn - November 23, 2018

1. 6 Easy-to-Grow, Can’t Kill Houseplants for Beginners – Business Blog

November 23rd, 2018 at 12:53 pm

[…] post 6 Easy-to-Grow, Can’t Kill Houseplants for Beginners appeared first on Wit & […]

2. Amy

November 23rd, 2018 at 3:46 pm

I had a ponytail palm years ago, and it was so easy to keep alive. Yes, I’ve killed a LOT of house plants, lol. Another suggestion is aloe. I’ve had one for 5 years, it sits on our balcony, and I don’t do ANYTHING.

3. Corner of Randoms

November 24th, 2018 at 7:03 am

I once actually managed to kill a bamboo… but had better luck with cactuses. Definitely want to give it a go and try growing succulents – great post!

4. Mary Cornish

November 25th, 2018 at 4:50 am

I’m going to try a Ponytail Palm, very pretty. At this time I have 80 or so plants on my porch . One of my favorite is Desert Rose another easy plant.

5. Ella Jones

November 25th, 2018 at 2:37 pm

I’m a big lover of cacti!!!

6. Sophia Jenny

November 26th, 2018 at 7:22 am

Thank you so much for sharing these amazing tips. I must say you are an incredible writer, I love the way that you describe the things. Please keep sharing.
    mcafee.com/activate

7. Lexie

November 26th, 2018 at 3:36 pm

I definitely killed a ponytail palm that I got from IKEA. I don’t think I had it in the right size pot though.

I recommend the ZZ plant. I have had mine for over three years and it’s flourishing!

8. Luana Weaver

November 26th, 2018 at 4:34 pm

I have killed most of these. I don’t have a brown thumb, it is black and shriveled . . . It used to drive my mother crazy as she could grow anything from seed, cuttings (even ones in her sweater pocket that she forgot for a week). She used to have me on a plant rotation where I would return my browning potfuls for a fresh plant. She would then revive it.

9. Stephanie

November 27th, 2018 at 11:05 am

I have killed 5 of the 6 listed. 😬 I think I’ll give a snake plant a try next. Wish me luck!

10. Loving Lately, #26 – Rachel, Striving

November 29th, 2018 at 4:20 pm

[…] great round-up of easy-to-grow […]

11. Velvet

November 30th, 2018 at 12:00 am

I have a snake plant and so far so good. Can’t say the same about the cacti though. 🙁

12. Rachel Szaruta

April 25th, 2019 at 4:05 am

My parents have a peace lily that I’m pretty sure is as old as I am…it comes within an inch of its life, gets watered, then bounces right back!

13. deactivate Instagram account

September 18th, 2019 at 6:38 am

Your blog is filled with unique good articles! I was impressed how well you express your thoughts.

14. fnaf world

September 20th, 2019 at 10:52 pm

The crops you share are easy to grow and live. Very suitable for decorating your house.

15. Nina Dobrev

October 12th, 2019 at 8:23 am

Thanks for sharing this informational blog.
    tutuapp