Write, Write, Write It Down: A Beginner’s Guide to Journaling

Career Development

For many, including yours truly, writing is a way of thinking. Sometimes the mere act of putting pen to paper triggers a breakthrough or a creative approach to a previously unsolvable problem. The benefits of journaling are well documented: better mood, enhanced sense of well-being, reduced symptoms of depression, and improved memory. At times, writing can be just what the doctor ordered, whether you’re shaking off the blues or even working through an anxiety attack.

I’ve been writing quite a bit more this last year, and if I’m not in the right headspace, the blank page can be intimidating. Here are some of the ways I’ve been able to work through my own writer’s block to make it less so and a lot more useful in understanding my inner world and communicating what I need to others.

Make a Plan for Better Writing

Like most skills, you have to set yourself up for success and writing is no different. Most people report their surroundings and setting can make or break the difference between a productive day of writing or journaling, which shows how our train of thought could be impacted more by our environment than given credit.

Here are a few tips I’ve found help with my journaling practice.

1. Write at the same time each day. For many, the first thing in the morning is the best time to tackle big, complex writing tasks. I’ve found the evening, just before bed, to be the best time to do gratitude writing. Depending on your writing goal, decide when you want to dedicate your day to your new habit.
  2. Find a space that is private and you feel good in that is free from distractions. Journaling is a personal task which is most often best done in the privacy of your own home or office. I like to do mine in bed either before or after Joe joins me. I also prefer to do my writing for work (which is inherently personal at times) in a place other than my office. The Coven has a great vibe, and I like that it feels like I’m in a coffee shop and can’t be distracted by other coworkers or things that need to be done at the studio.
  3. Write a couple of days in a row. Three or four days in a row can help boost your confidence enough to feel just a little bit of the pressure lift.
  4. Give yourself time to reflect after you’ve written. Read what you’ve written after it’s complete. Then revisit it a few hours later, then a few days later. Getting distance from your words is therapeutic and creates clarity.
  5. Don’t set any rules for how you structure your writing. Just get what is in your head on the page. I have found it helps to make an outline or list all the topics I want to cover, and then I write in each section when an idea strikes me, which is nonlinear. It doesn’t make much sense, and it might be inefficient, but it’s what gets my words out on to the page.
  6. Keep your writing private. You don’t need to share it with anyone— not your spouse, therapist, or best friend.
Writing for Breakthroughs

While the act of journaling is proven to help manage depression, anxiety, and stress, it’s also a helpful way to find peace and acceptance through acknowledging what may scare us or intimidate us. Especially when it comes to discord in our identity, writing for yourself requires you to give yourself a little grace.

• Leave judgment at the door. Avoid letting it be an exercise in self-blame or shaming.
  • Acknowledge it takes bravery to write down your fears; part of the reason writing is so hard is putting your feelings and thoughts into the world requires vulnerability. Getting comfortable with discomfort can help you move past being paralyzed by fear and onto more important matters.
  • Don’t believe everything you think. It’s important not to allow yourself to wallow in the negative aspects of life, especially if you’re anxious or depressed. We can, at times, not have a clear view or understanding of our surroundings when we’re not 100% healthy. We can’t always will our way out of these feelings, so it is essential to learn to identify them without giving them all your power. Remember, your thoughts are not your reality!

How to get started

Now that you’ve got the right setting and mindset, we’ve put together some ways to kick off our writing practice. I like to think of these as exercises that can get your comfortable with the act of writing without having to dwell on what to say.

1. Describe your experiences. Pick one thing that happened in your life and begin to describe it. It doesn’t have to be chronological if that feels difficult but focus on making your words paint the picture in your head. What did the room look like? Was there music playing? What season was it? Do you remember what you were wearing?
  2. Record affirmations. I like the process of writing down what I will or will not do at the beginning of the month. It helps me reset some bad habits and gives me a fresh start for the month. There is no right time to do this, so if you’re feeling particularly reflective, this is an excellent prompt.
  3. Stream of consciousness. When I’m feeling blue, this is the type of writing I’ll do. My brain usually feels like it is moving through Jell-O, so this process helps my mind wake up. There is also little expectation for getting a masterpiece out of the writing itself, and it is beneficial to remind yourself there will be days when the magic happens and days when nothing happens. That’s just how writing works.
  4. Start a dialogue with your inner child. What would you say to your six-year-old self on the playground or the seventh-grade you in the cafeteria? Starting a dialogue with versions of ourselves can bring some exciting content to your page.
  5. Make a list. It could be a grocery list or a list of things you want to do someday. I find lists are a great way or give some organization or structure to your thoughts. Lists are my favorite way to warm up before jumping into something meatier.
  6. Write about what you’re thankful for. This can instantly boost your mood or give you perspective.
  7. Explore what you want your life to look like in the next 1, 5, 10 years. The act of writing down what you’d like your future to look like is proven to help make it a reality. Why not spend your writing practice dreaming a little?

And, you can purchase our Write, Write, Write Journal, $16 at Shop Wit & Delight.

BY Kate Arends - February 25, 2019

1. Write, Write, Write It Down: A Beginner’s Guide to Journaling – Business Blog

February 25th, 2019 at 1:08 pm

[…] Continue reading Write, Write, Write It Down: A Beginner’s Guide to Journaling at Wit & Deligh… […]

2. Kelsey

February 26th, 2019 at 10:53 am

I love the “inner child” idea so much. I started dot journaling this past summer after a decade-long writing hiatus. It’s been full of fits and starts, but writing feels good!

February 27th, 2019 at 10:47 am

dot journalling? what is that?? googling now.

4. Teresa

February 26th, 2019 at 11:17 am

I used to read praise about journaling and think to myself “ah, what’s the point? I wrote a diary for years, it wasn’t that ground breaking.” But this year I decided to try journaling and came up with couple journaling prompts that I should write about once a week. I’ve been doing it for 2 months now and oh boy, there is a point to it! It feels so cleansing and actually necessary to really go through everything I did this week, everything I felt this week, everything I achieved and didn’t achieve this week, and what I should get done next week. I can be super lazy but writing everything down has somehow made me more diligent. I think this is something I will keep doing for good from now on.

Teresa | outlandishblog.com

February 27th, 2019 at 10:46 am

thank you for sharing!!! this is inspiring. I so want to be that person who writes down what happened every day but I don’t know if it is in my DNA.

6. Andrea

February 27th, 2019 at 2:36 am

Hi my dear!
    I started writing a journal at the beginning of this year. For myself I have the structure to sit down every Sunday, print out the horoscope for the week from astrosofa.com and then reflect about the last the upcoming week. Once I did this I just start writing down what comes to my mind. In the evening I read it again and try to put some structure in it. This became kind of a ritual but it helps me a lot to focus on what’s going on in my life!
    I also appreciate lot’s of your points and I’m going to try out the one or the other!
    See you soon,
    Andrea

7. Weekly Roundup – wit & whimsy

March 1st, 2019 at 5:01 am

[…] The beginner’s guide to journaling. […]

8. Week/End - The Good Living Blog

March 2nd, 2019 at 4:55 am

[…] Loved this thoughtful and well-written guide to journaling. […]

9. Lizzy

March 2nd, 2019 at 12:23 pm

I love writing in the stream of consciousness style. Sometimes I just jot down random sentences, but other times I get into a real groove with writing and the pen leads me to really insightful revelations.

10. joker123 cheat

March 5th, 2019 at 9:31 pm

The one thing more anticipated than the Oscars themselves was the actual show, mainly because
    hints shrouded in secrecy. With a brand new host, a new production team, and no word on presenters,
    the Oscars show was putting itself right on the
    line to stay relevant. Small experiment will play
    a big part in what the Oscars will look like in years to come, depending
    exactly how to the reviews go.

The Sens saw a few players leave this offseason, with Filip Kuba,
    Zenon Konopka, and Nick Foligno all headed elsewhere.
    They didn’t bring anybody of note in, instead focusing on giving Karlsson a big new buy.
    Losing Kuba and Foligno will hurt a bit, when compared to don’t
    imagine that this can be a team with a lot of young
    talent, Karlsson aside.

Both the films Jennifer Lopez gets naked in were early in her own movie career and none
    of her nude scenes have negatively affected her career as she has
    moved on to do over twelve feature films since.

A show taking place during this of the Roman empire that
    certainly makes my list is Gladiator. Russell Crowe stars as Maximus, a fugitive general will be on a crusade
    for vengeance as he attempts to take down an evil emperor, played by joker android apk.

Located in Camp Hughes, California, the camping ground gives kids with life-threatening illnesses to have a “camp” connection with arts,
    crafts, swimming and also camp-centric recreations, but at the same time, provide around-the-clock medical
    care at free of cost. In fact, the camp ground has no
    billing department at every single one.

M. Night Shyamalan Gift items #4: “Lady In The Water: A Bedtime Story” This sixty
    four page book tells the intriguing story that inspired the writer’s movie
    of the same name. Fans will surely love reading the book version of very compelling and entertaining film.

In the film J.Lo briefly appears topless as she makes like to Wesley Snipes.

Despite the brief nudity from Jennifer Lopez money Train was a train wreck at software program office.

Costing a reported $68 million dollars to make to date Money Train has only earned $35.4 million.

Sophia Loren refuses to age and owns the stage when the actress
    nominees are announced, but Shirley MacLaine looks great, a bit too.
    She praises Anne Hathaway’s singing, so look on her behalf next role to be
    in a musical technology. And all of these actresses bringing up actresses sure seem
    to induce watery eyes! The reason Kate wins (surprise, surprise); Anne Hathaway
    pretends she’s thrilled; and Kate is breathing like her
    girdle is a lttle bit too cosy. Her speech is rather boring, but she does get
    her dad to whistle noisally. http://www.hochwald-crosslauf.de/LAZ/index.php?option=com_easybook&Itemid=26&rvnl=wpcpground.php%3Fcat%3Dusaia

11. Pearl

March 24th, 2019 at 11:08 pm

Love this post and think everyone could benefit from writing! To me it’s the best way to process and make meaning. Thanks for sharing 🙂

12. Zahra

April 12th, 2019 at 3:29 am

I feel like my motivation is supported by this post! I will start writing more now, thank you so much 🙂