How Did You Decide When (or If) to Have Kids?

Lifestyle

The time has come in my life when several of my friends have started to become…parents. Even typing that sentence feels odd because it’s a reminder to myself that I, too, could very well have a baby at this stage. I’m an adult. I’ve been married for nearly five years. According to society, that would be the practical next step, right? Yet here I am, intractably ambivalent about motherhood.

It’s not that I don’t want a baby. Or that I (100 percent) do, at least not right now anyway. It’s that I feel stuck in the middle. Some days, I love daydreaming with my husband about what our future-family might be like. And yet other days I simply cannot imagine what it would be like to be the primary caregiver of another human. Especially since I can barely keep the few plants we have alive.

So, in all seriousness, how do you decide whether to have kids? And if you do decide to embark down the path of parenthood, how do you know when you’re ready?

As a lifelong worrier and self-proclaimed over-thinker, I oftentimes worry that my hesitations are a sign. So many people, such as my younger sister, know that they want kids. Other women I’ve spoken to about this very subject described a deep-down urge they felt when wanting to get pregnant. I’ve never had this urge. No tingling sensation, no baby fever, nada. Why have I never had this urge? Should I be concerned that I’ve never had these maternal twinges and ticks? Are these necessary prerequisites? Will these desires develop with age?

Like I said, I tend to overthink, a lot. But then again, deciding when (and if) to have kids is a huge life decision, and in my opinion, one that should not be taken lightly. I don’t want to procreate just so I won’t eventually regret not procreating. Yet, I also don’t want to rush into parenting if I’m not entirely ready either. Will I ever be? Is anyone ever wholeheartedly ready?

I’ll admit, a good chunk of my reluctance, I think, stems from fear. I’m scared of what it will be like to give up my current child-free freedom. I’m scared of how parenting might affect my relationship with my husband. I’m scared of how parenting might affect me, as an individual, and how it will affect my career. These might sound like selfish thoughts, but I’d be lying if I said they didn’t swim through my mind.

There’s also the fear of finally feeling ready to have a baby only to find out that, for some reason or another, I can’t have a baby. I know many of us have that fear. Because I’ve always had irregular periods, part of me wonders if deep down my mind is trying to protect my heart from that fact by masking it with all these hesitations. (See what I mean about overthinking?)

All this being said, I’d love to now turn it over to you. If you have children, how did you know you were ready? When did you know? Did you ever experience baby fever? And if you don’t have kids, are you hoping/planning to one day have them? Or have you made the decision not to have kids? I’d love to get your insight on this very personal topic.

BY Kathryn - March 25, 2019

1. Emma

March 25th, 2019 at 10:09 am

Kathryn, I am in exactly the same situation as you. I too have never felt the “omg I wanna baby” sensation. I know it’s because I’m afraid: of things like how much they cost (the healthcare alone!), of the dramatic changes, of the headlines that detail how many people STILL die from childbirth related complications. I’m also fully aware that the old “clock” is ticking. Right now I can just use “we haven’t been married long, we haven’t even had a proper honeymoon” as a nice excuse, but once that’s happened, then what? I don’t know, so I’m going to keep an eye on the comments here.

2. Kathryn M.

March 25th, 2019 at 11:31 am

Hi Emma, thank you so much for your honesty and vulnerability. I truly appreciate you taking the time to comment, and couldn’t agree with you more. I look forward to keeping my eyes on the comment section, too, as I am so curious to hear about people’s different experiences, etc. I believe we can all learn so much from each other’s incredible insight. Thank you again for reading. I hope you have a wonderful week!

3. lindsay

March 25th, 2019 at 10:23 am

I love talking (/reading/writing) about this! I have always had a desire to be a mother. And I’m really glad I do, because I am an overthinker in every other part of my life, and motherhood is the only thing about which I’ve ever been truly sure. However! I’m 31, coming up on 5 years of marriage, and my partner and I plan on trying to get pregnant this year. Now that it is a Real Actual Plan, I’m nervous! I know it will really change my life, and while I feel sure it will be worth it, I worry about how it will affect my marriage, health (mental and physical), financial wellbeing, career, all of it! Ahh! Anyway, I also really enjoyed episode 145 of the A Few Things podcast, which is all about this topic as well: https://www.ofakind.com/pages/podcast

4. Kathryn M.

March 25th, 2019 at 11:33 am

Hi Lindsay, thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I, too, love talking/reading/writing about this topic, as well as hearing about other people’s experiences since we can all learn so much from one another! I am so excited for you and your husband, though, and wish you both the best!! Additionally, thank you for the podcast recommendation. I will definitely check that episode out. I hope you have a lovely week!

5. Tabitha

March 25th, 2019 at 12:00 pm

It was so surreal to read this – I kept thinking, “Did they somehow find my journal?” because I literally worry about every single thing you describe. (Right down to how long you’ve been married – coming up on 5 years!)

It doesn’t help that I *do not* do well with life-changing, permanent decisions, so I just feel paralyzed. I still have student loan debt and PCOS, so part of me is convinced that I won’t be able to get pregnant either way. (Which is its own Catch-22 – it takes the decision making out of my hands but what if I do decide I want children later and find out I’m right and can’t?)

I’m becoming an aunt for the first time this summer, so part of me is just waiting to see if that helps solidify my feelings one way or the other.

6. Kathryn M.

March 27th, 2019 at 8:13 am

Hi Tabitha, thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I’m so glad you found the article relatable. (Happy almost fifth anniversary, by the way, and congratulations on soon becoming an aunt!) While I hate that you’re experiencing the same doubts as me, I must admit it’s comforting to know that we’re not alone in this situation. That said, I wish you the best of luck and please don’t hesitate to reach out if you ever want to chat!

7. Stef

March 25th, 2019 at 12:14 pm

I got married at 21 and knew that I wasn’t ready to be responsible for another human for at least 18 years. Hubby was ready far sooner than I was. My oldest is 26 now and the five years we waited to start a family is just a distant memory. I loved being a Mom, there sure were tough times too though, but the good outweighed the bad and they all made me into who I am today. I wouldn’t trade that for the world.

8. Kathryn M.

March 27th, 2019 at 8:14 am

Thank you so much for your insight, Stef. I greatly appreciate you reading and taking the time to comment. I wish you and your family all the best!

9. How Did You Decide When (or If) to Have Kids? – Business Blog

March 25th, 2019 at 12:47 pm

[…] Continue reading How Did You Decide When (or If) to Have Kids? at Wit & Delight. […]

10. Kristen

March 25th, 2019 at 1:32 pm

Hello! I am a solo parent of a child I adopted at birth through domestic adoption. She is an absolute dream come true. I went through phases of knowing I’d have a full life without being a parent, however, I’ve known since I was a child that I specifically wanted to adopt. When it’s hard, I have no doubt I made the right decision because if I had let fear stand in my way I would have recognized myself as the “me” I am and want to be.

I often use this silly example – 2 people can like pizza- I may prefer mushrooms and you may prefer olives- and we both “know pizza.” There is NO WAY to know parenthood until you do it. You can babysit for a year and it’s NOT THE SAME.

11. Kathryn M.

March 27th, 2019 at 8:19 am

Hi Kristen, thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate it and can’t help but find your story incredibly inspiring. Plus, I absolutely love your pizza example, as well as what you stated at the end: “For me, this life, this journey, is the one I very purposefully picked. And it’s outside the norm. Life a life you want. That’s where I find peace.” Thank you for that! I wish you and your family all the best!

12. Kristen

March 30th, 2019 at 2:15 pm

Kathryn- I appreciate your reply and wish you the same! I know you will find the same peace. No matter what it looks like. Xo

13. Juli

March 25th, 2019 at 1:56 pm

I kept overthinking it too, and then one month said screw it let’s just try – because I didn’t think I’d ever actually feel ready. Then, when I didn’t test positive on the first early test and I was super disappointed, I realized that my heart wanted it more than I had known.

Sometimes you don’t know what you want until the reality of it is taken away. If you’re afraid you can’t have kids, perhaps that means you want them more than you realize?

I don’t really have great answers for you, just know you’re not alone, it’s definitely NOT an easy decision even though it’s a big one, and your feelings may change over and over as you age and learn more, which is totally OK.

14. Kathryn M.

March 27th, 2019 at 8:23 am

Thank you so much for your kind words and amazing insight. It is incredibly comforting to know I’m not alone with my hesitations. I do believe my feelings will change the older I get and the more I evolve, and you’re right, that’s totally OK. I wish you and your family all the best, and hope you have a lovely day!

15. Marie

March 25th, 2019 at 3:08 pm

Kathryn, just want to say that your hesitations on having kids (career, relationship with your spouse, freedom) are NOT selfish. These are valid reasons to consider before having kids. I think our society has convinced all women that if they don’t want to have children or even have reservations about it, we’re ultimately selfish and self-absorbed individuals. This is just not true. You do you, and whether or not you decide to have kids, just make sure you feel content with your decision : ) I may be biased, because I’ve known from a young age that I never wanted children. Just my 2 cents.

16. Kelly Drummond

March 26th, 2019 at 1:21 pm

yes yes yes to this!. You AREN’T selfish for not wanting kids (if thats what you decide you feel). Anyone that makes you feel that way is being selfish.

17. Kathryn M.

March 27th, 2019 at 8:26 am

Hi Marie and Kelly, I truly appreciate both of your incredibly thoughtful comments. I couldn’t agree with you more. Thank you again for reading; I hope you have a wonderful week!

18. tricia

March 25th, 2019 at 3:26 pm

Hi Kathryn! It’s great to hear from someone that is also wholly uncertain of where they fall on this topic. I’m so envious of folks that know for sure whether they do or do not aspire to parenthood.

I’m in my early 30s, and in late 2017 my husband and I were continuously grappling with what we wanted (it’s tough to be married to someone as uncertain as yourself hah), and we decided we probably would end up wanting a child someday and because of our ages, we went for it. I became pregnant quickly, and I thought a loving instinct would just kick in. Instead, I felt trapped and became deeply depressed – and after weeks of deliberation, we ended up terminating the pregnancy.

It was an awful, disorienting time. I felt so guilty – for ending something I had conceived intentionally and that so many women wish they could do naturally, as well as for not having a maternal instinct emerge. My husband and I went to couples therapy to sort out what had just happened – and what we had done. I was lucky that his first priority was my health and happiness.

I don’t offer this anecdote because I think any of this is the norm, necessarily. I think many women (and men) do have an instinct that kicks in if you happen to conceive. I have known so many women that ended up pregnant without knowing what they wanted and embraced it with strength and grace. But I was in the same boat of never knowing where I stood, and it was a bewildering experience that taught me a lot about approaching life decisions with intention. I feel for your exploration of parenthood, and I wish you all the best in navigating this significant life path.

19. Kathryn M.

March 27th, 2019 at 2:35 pm

Hi Tricia, wow I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to comment. I am so sorry to hear about what you and your husband had to go through, but I want you to know how deeply grateful I am for your honesty. I hope you both are doing well and wish you nothing but the best.

20. Elizabeth

March 25th, 2019 at 4:19 pm

When I was waffling on this choice I heard a podcast where the guest said, “There are three buckets: the women who want to be mothers, the women who like kids but are meant to be aunts, and the women who shouldn’t get within 10 yards of children. It’s imperative to choose the right bucket, otherwise the consequence could be tragic.” And it was in that instant I knew exactly what was right for me, and have literally never given it a second thought. Phew! Good luck!

21. Kathryn M.

March 27th, 2019 at 2:38 pm

Hi Elizabeth, thank you so much for your awesome insight! Did the podcast you mention happen to be featuring Elizabeth Gilbert? I could have sworn I’ve heard her mention those three buckets before, and I loved that advice!

22. Libby

March 25th, 2019 at 4:57 pm

I never had the maternal twinges or urges;I shared all of your hesitations and fears. But when my husband and I envisioned our future many years down the road, we could see our current life without kids, but we both imagined grandkids, bustling holidays, etc. At 29 it looked like my window for easily conceiving might be closing, so we started trying and I had my first right at 30. Even at delivery it felt surreal and I couldn’t comprehend that I was a parent. I never had an “aha moment”, and often felt like I did before a big game-clammy handed, full of nerves and anxiety, kind of excited but a little anxious too.

Honestly it has been such a complete joy, and inspiration that I never could have imagined relishing like I do. You seem self-aware of all the areas that will take extra nourishing if/when you choose to have a baby. I think millennial parents often aren’t talking about how positive it can be; and so many people lose sleep, money, and experience stress in their relationships to accomplish other life milestones that may or may not be just as fulfilling. It doesn’t have to be as complicated and involved as I think maybe our society makes it seem. You really don’t need to buy into the consumerism that preys on nesting urges, you can trust your gut, rely on your community, be open with your partner through the hard times, and come out the other side with the most beautiful love you could imagine. I’m not discounting that some mothers really struggle with hard pregnancies, bonding, parenting, relationship issues and more. But I only had 1 friend in my entire network encourage me to go for it and I’m so glad she did.

I do think the opportunity to go back to work full time helps me balance what I feel is my drive/purpose/social needs, and I then I have the gift of being very intentional about the hours I have with my girl. Some days finding the balance is excruciating- but again, you don’t have to be a parent to experience having your heart and mind and emotions pulled many ways. Life will have prepared you in other ways if you do take on motherhood.

We just found out we are expecting our 2nd, only 22 months apart. The cost of daycare is daunting, but I’m thrilled (also a little nervous all over again.)

23. Kathryn M.

March 28th, 2019 at 2:04 pm

Hi Libby, thank you so much for taking the time to provide such thoughtful insight. I greatly appreciate you sharing your story; I cannot tell you how comforting it is to hear that you never experienced any maternal twinges or urges either, and that the idea of being a parent still felt surreal to you once you gave birth. However, I’m so happy to hear that all is well and that you and your husband are expecting your 2nd child—congratulations!! What an exciting time in your life! I wish you and your family all the best!

24. Amy

March 25th, 2019 at 5:06 pm

There’s no right or wrong answer. I have two kids, and we’re rapidly approaching the empty nest days, which I’m looking forward to. All your concerns are valid and real. If you’re in doubt, don’t do it. Maybe you’ll be ready one day, maybe not. It’s no one’s business but your own.

25. Kathryn M.

March 28th, 2019 at 1:55 pm

Hi Amy, thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate your advice. It wasn’t too long ago that my parents entered the empty-nest days, and I think they’re thoroughly enjoying it 😉 I wish you and your family all the best!

26. Bekah

March 25th, 2019 at 5:38 pm

This was a well-written article, not to mention revealing a vulnerability and truthfulness about the subject that didn’t diminish the value of anyone’s life choices. As a stay-at-home mom, I appreciate it.

As for how I knew I wanted a child, I have actually experienced both sensations. With my first, I *knew* the time was right. I wanted a baby, and partially because of being the oldest of a very large family, felt very confident and competent in caring for a small human. Call it maternal urges or baby fever, I had it bad.

With my second baby, I suddenly had a lot of fear. My first baby was such a joy that I didn’t want to introduce a new member to our family because I was afraid of how it would mess up our perfect system. I didn’t want another little one to take away from any attention I could give to my child, or if I’m honest, to some of my projects. I also had experienced parenthood sleep deprivation in a new way, and birth really can be a beast.

Ultimately, I decided to have another baby based on a logical decision. I wanted my firstborn to have a friend, and I knew I could provide a stable home for a child to grow and be educated in. Up until about halfway in the pregnancy I was still more scared than excited, but slowly that has changed. I blame hormones in part, but I also think it is in part from realizing life has the potential to get even better with baby number 2. Because really, life always has the potential to be better, and if we can believe that, whether or not to decide to have a child will become a much clearer decision.

Less fear, more hope.

That being said, things to consider from a logical perspective about having a child, like health of the parents (especially the mother), both physical and mental is incredibly important. Even people with baby fever should stop and reevaluate their timing if they can’t properly care for the child. Also, assessing the stability and health of the relationship that the child is born into is important as well. How your spouse treats you will probably be how you treat your child, and vise versa. Probably don’t want to have anger issues, or at least be in the process of resolving them. Many a thing to consider, but if you can give the baby a safe home, it’s really up to what you want.

Good luck! Life will always get better eventually.

27. Kathryn M.

March 28th, 2019 at 1:29 pm

Hi Bekah, I can’t tell you enough how much I enjoyed reading your comment. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such thoughtful insight. I agree with so much of what you mentioned above, but I especially loved “because really, life always has the potential to be better, and if we can believe that, whether or not to decide to have a child will become a much clearer decision.Less fear, more hope.” Thank you again; I wish you and your family all the best!

28. Cal

March 26th, 2019 at 11:48 am

Kathryn,
    Your feelings are completely normal in my opinion. At 32 after my husband and I were the main support system to his grandma in hospice, we had a vulnerable realization that we weren’t in our twenties any more and that there is more to life than what we had in that very real life moment. I wouldn’t say that we felt empty with our busy lives and two senior dogs – but yet we just wondered if we would again look at each other in 5-6 years and then it would be too late or we would be that much more in the zone of our day-to-day. I loved having older parents as we made them stay hip, and he loved having younger parents as they were almost like friends.

I should put it on the record that I was absolutely terrified as I never thought I wanted kids. However, I knew it meant a lot to him. 2.5 years later, I can’t imagine our lives without our little lady. She’s taught us a lot, we’re still able to have time for ourselves now and then she is freaking entertaining. Now that we’re on this side, we are really wondering what we did before her. Schedules can be tough – but each day is a new blast with something to smile about.

29. Kathryn M.

March 28th, 2019 at 2:09 pm

Hi Cal, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. I can’t even begin to tell you how much your comment makes me smile. Ah, 2.5, what a fun age! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Spring and wish you all the best!

30. Allison

March 27th, 2019 at 6:47 am

I spent a lot of time in your situation. Both my husband and I were ambivalent for many years, and could have been happy, I think, with either choice. To me, it was never about just “knowing,” it was a decision that I wanted to make somewhat rationally, taking into consideration the trade-offs of either route. The hard thing about that is while I had plenty of experience not being a mother, I knew there were so many things about being a parent I couldn’t know before I got there, making it impossible to compare.

Last year, when time was starting to run out because I was 34 and my husband was 40, we decided to go for it, as our desire to become parents was just stronger than our desire to remain child-free. Unfortunately, I miscarried that pregnancy 9 weeks in, and it was in that moment that I finally just “knew.” My grief over that loss created the strongest urge I’ve ever felt to have a baby, and I am now 6 months pregnant with a boy who will hopefully be our first and only child.

Even though my miscarriage was a horrible experience, I am grateful for it, as it gave me the clarity I never had and the resiliency to endure my current pregnancy, which has been filled with medical complications for me personally (though the baby seems to be doing just fine).

There is no one right choice and I don’t think it’s possible to compare the road not taken with the one I’m on. I’m still not always sure I took the right road, especially when things are very difficult, but I have to believe that the outcome will be worth it.

31. Kathryn M.

March 29th, 2019 at 5:50 am

Hi Allison, thank you so much for taking the time to share your story. I greatly appreciate your openness as well as your incredible insight. I am so sorry about your experience last year, and that you and your husband had to undergo that level of grief. However, I am so happy that you’re now six months pregnant, about to welcome your first child into the world. Ah, what an exciting time! I hope the last three months of pregnancy goes smoother for you. I wish you and your family all the best!

32. Jess

March 27th, 2019 at 8:49 am

I think, so many people jump into having kids without sitting down to think about it (raises hand) so all of the questioning and thinking is important! For me, having a BABY felt overwhelming, but I knew I wanted to raise kids, and also knew that the baby stage is really so short. My son is 2.5 and my second is due in September. I love watching my kid grow up, and it really wasn’t until he was over 2 that I felt like I really started to fall in love with him and REALLY loved being a mother. I just woke up one day and knew I wanted to try for another baby. And we went for it. No looking back now!

33. Kathryn M.

March 29th, 2019 at 6:05 am

HI Jess, thank you for providing such valuable insight—I can’t tell you how comforting I found your story to be, especially since you noted how even though you always knew you wanted to have children, you still found the idea to be very overwhelming. You’re right, I bet the baby stage really does pass by fast!

But ah, 2.5—what an exciting and fun age. I wish you and your family all the best, and congratulations on your second child!

34. Marie Lamensch

March 31st, 2019 at 3:36 pm

I am 35 years old and have anorexia so I haven’t had my periods in 8 years. My hormones are also very low and in my current state, I also don’t and can’t have a partner. This means that I can’t have children at the moment. I have always really enjoy kids. My brother’s wife is is pregnant and will give birth in two months and I am absolutely overjoyed. Friends tell me that I have a natural thing with kids, particularly babies. However, I’m really not sure I want kids of my own. I’m a very independent woman and don’t know whether I am really ready to give that up. At the same time, my feelings are influenced by the hormonal impact of the anorexia so I’m not sure who is talking: me or the eating disorder ? I don’t feel any social obligations to have kids though but I know that a part of me really enjoys children too

35. Kathryn M.

April 4th, 2019 at 3:59 am

Hi Marie, thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I greatly appreciate your thoughtful insight, and am so sorry that you are currently having to struggle with anorexia. However, even though we’re just now e-meeting, I want to let you know how much I’m thinking of you. I am deeply grateful for your incredibly honesty and wish you nothing but the best, no matter which path you decide to take. Please don’t ever hesitate to reach out!

36. Tara

April 3rd, 2019 at 9:25 am

I’m 39. Married for 14 years. And I feel like I’m in this teeny tiny minority of women who don’t have and never seriously considered having children. My husband and I talked about it before and after we got married, but as the years passed he became more and more determined that he didn’t want to have children. I’ve never had a twinge of baby fever. I don’t like holding babies. I don’t like watching other people’s kids. I don’t dislike kids, but I definitely only enjoy being around those children who are well-behaved and respectful.
    We are grateful that our parents have never pressured us to have kids and my Mom always says that we should never have kids to please other people. I’m happy with our decision and I’m just as happy for other women who choose to have kids.

37. Kathryn M.

April 4th, 2019 at 4:01 am

Hi Tara, thank you so much for taking the time to share your story. I can’t tell you how refreshing it was to read your comment. PS, your mom sounds like an absolute rockstar!! I hope you’re having a lovely week and wish you and your family all the best!

38. Victoria

April 4th, 2019 at 8:29 am

I definitely relate to this. I’ve never had any kind of mothering instinct or urge, but after 2 abortions when I was in my early 20s, I once again became pregnant at 30 with my partner of only 1 year. I’ve always struggled with birth control options as I’m sensitive to synthetic hormones; and I’d tried tried the IUD, Oral contraceptives, depot and the patch to no success. We’d mostly been ‘careful’ using condos and monitoring my cycle/ovulation period. I don’t know what happened the month I got pregnant — we’d mostly been using protection and had completely avoided my ovulation week. I attribute it to the flu and an overseas holiday and realise this may have impacted everything.

My partner and I proceeded with the pregnancy— mostly because we thought it was the right thing to do and the right time. I no longer had the ‘excuse’ of being young or poor and I felt ashamed for being so careless. I then began researching how abortions can affect future fertility and this convinced me that if I didn’t have my baby now, perhaps I’d never be able to. As my pregnancy progressed, I continued to think about aborting but as time passed, that option dwindled.

I now have a 10 month old. It’s been a massive adjustment but I couldn’t imagine my life without her. Has it impacted my life? Yes. Career? Yes. Relationship? Hell yes. But still… wouldn’t change a thing.

39. Kathryn M.

April 8th, 2019 at 11:06 am

Hi Victoria, thank you for taking the time to comment. I truly appreciate your honesty and vulnerability, and find your story incredibly moving. I’m sure your household is certainly a fun one right about now with a 10-month-old—what a delightful age! I wish you and your family all the best!

40. Tamaryn L

April 22nd, 2019 at 11:35 am

Hi Kathryn

I can’t tell you how much time I’ve spent searching the web for blogs on information on being hesitant for having kids and the life after kids. Most blogs are all so surreal that I think they have to be fake.

My husband and I started dating in high school and after 7 years we got married and are now coming up to our 6 years anniversary – 13 years together. From when we strted dating I was already pen about if this worked out I do not want kids so he had to decided weather he wanted to go down this road with me or not. He was on the fence about kids but leaning towards not having, so we went down that road… Looking back now we both came from broken homes and we were actually toxic for each other growing up. But somehow we got each other through the hard times and he asked me to marry him.

Last year he had a motorbike accident and he changed his whole outlook on his life, our lives. He had become unhappy with our marriage, our overly busy schedules where we mostly lived past each other anyway. he has made personal changes which are for the better for him as a person and for us, but mosts importantly he now is set on he wants kids. The last 6 months have been absolute hell for mostly myself trying to deal with all these changes. but most importantly our marriage is on the line. If I can’t agree to having kids then we are done.

But I have all the same fears, I’ve never felt maternal, I don’t even want to touch/hold a baby, I feel that I would be a terrible mother, I don’t want to bring a new life into a world I can’t even be happy on a normal day in – it wouldn’t be fair on the child. I’m a loner as a person so I don’t socialize well and everyone always asks my husband ‘whats wrong with me’ when we go anyway because I’m not always smiling – even though I actually am content. Also theres the financials that come with raising a child – I cannot afford a child on my own so I’d be completely reliant on my husband which greatly impacts my confidence as well as a provider for my to be child.

I’m aware that we were completely wrong for each other and the start of our marriage was far from almost perfect but it was what I needed at that time in my life so I made the best of a bad match and after all we had already been through so much together and seen each others worst. But now almost 6 years down the line I really do value our marriage and my husband. My whole world has literally been thrown up side down with the whole child decision.

I’m sitting on the fence – do I walk away from something I really value and have invested so many years into or do I close my eyes and take the plunge to have the child(ren) to keep the person I value most? If I take the plunge, would I be a good enough mother? Could I love the child the way a mother should? What if I never feel that motherly bond after having the child – wouldn’t that be unfair to my child and to my husband?

I’m aware there’s more to our marriage issues than just having a child or not, but our attempts to fix our marriage hinges on my decision if I can do motherhood or not.

41. How Did You Decide When (or If) to Have Kids? - Wit & Delight - Health and Fitness Recipes

April 23rd, 2019 at 1:48 am

[…] !function(f,b,e,v,n,t,s) {if(f.fbq)return;n=f.fbq=function(){n.callMethod? n.callMethod.apply(n,arguments):n.queue.push(arguments)}; if(!f._fbq)f._fbq=n;n.push=n;n.loaded=!0;n.version='2.0'; n.queue=[];t=b.createElement(e);t.async=!0; t.src=v;s=b.getElementsByTagName(e)[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(t,s)}(window, document,'script', 'https://connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbevents.js'); fbq('init', '374634936281400'); fbq('track', 'PageView'); Content Source […]

42. Kathryn M.

April 29th, 2019 at 4:03 am

Hi Tamaryn, I am so sorry that you and your husband are currently going through such a tough time. I can’t fathom what both of you must have gone through last year when he had his accident, but I think all of your questions and concerns are extremely valid in this situation. I so wish I could provide you with more guidance, but please know you WILL get through this chapter. Even on the toughest and darkest days, please remember that you are not alone…that being said, please don’t ever hesitate to reach out if you need to talk to someone further. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your story, especially with such openness and honesty. I will certainly keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers.

43. Courtney

May 2nd, 2019 at 11:09 am

I relate to this so much! In my early 20’s I was so certain that I wanted children. Now at 30, I have really come to love and appreciate my freedom and independence, and am questioning whether or not I see parenting and having a family in my ideal future. I came across this advice column post by Cheryl Strayed recently on the same topic. Working through the writing/meditative prompts she presents helped me *immensely* in coming closer to some clarity on what I want for my future. I highly recommend giving it a read for anyone else who is questioning or ambivalent on the topic.

44. Courtney

May 2nd, 2019 at 11:11 am

Of course I forgot to post the link to the column itself… whoops! Here it is: https://therumpus.net/2011/04/dear-sugar-the-rumpus-advice-column-71-the-ghost-ship-that-didnt-carry-us/

45. Kathryn M.

May 31st, 2019 at 2:20 am

Hi Courtney, wow, I am so sorry for the late reply but I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, as well as for recommending the post by Cheryl Strayed. I have been a fan of hers for years, as she gives some of the best advice. So raw and honest! Anyway, thank you again—I sure do wish you all the best.