How Losing Everything I Owned Changed My Relationship with “Things”

W&D Podcast

If you lost everything you own, how would you rebuild your life? A house fire completely changed Liz Tornell’s life and inspired her business Hello, Liz., which provides a tailored approach to organizing, decluttering, styling, and staging. Our relationship with things is far more complicated than being a minimalist or maximalist.

I sat down with Liz for our latest episode of the Wit & Delight Podcast, knowing she would be the perfect guest to kick off our April theme. We get into questions around what to do with sentimental objects, the one room in your home you should always *try* to keep organized, and why her work is, in many ways, a form of therapy. If you live in the Twin Cities, you’ll want to know (and hire) Liz! Then you’ll want to be her friend.

Read our interview below, or listen to it on the Wit & Delight Podcast!

Name: Hello, Liz
Business: Organizing, decluttering, styling, and staging business
Website: helloliz.biz

Tell us about your career and what brought you to launch Hello, Liz?

Liz: I spent the first 12 years of my career working in the PR and marketing industry for agencies, healthcare companies, and nonprofits. I LOVED my job, but after a substantial house fire in the fall of 2016, my outlook on life and work changed almost instantly. We lost almost everything we owned and were forced to live on the basics for several months before we were able to re-establish our living situation.

During that time, I re-evaluated the idea of “things” and “stuff” and decided I wanted our family to live a more streamlined life. By “streamlined”, I meant I wanted to keep things simple, thoughtful, and purposeful. By doing so, I found myself feeling more balanced and a hell of a lot happier. There were fewer things to stress about and I liked the sense of freedom that came with it.

The “simple, thoughtful, and purposeful” mantra was always top of mind when I was refurnishing our house, rebuilding my family’s wardrobe, styling our home with decor, organizing our kitchen, bathrooms, bedrooms, closets, playroom, etc. I wanted to feel a little balance in my home and personal life because I had less control in my professional life. It made me feel REALLY good and I wanted to help others feel the same way about their life.

So I left my job and have been taking on these projects ever since!

Wow! So it was clear there was a demand. Do you have a designated process you have clients go through?

Liz: At Hello, Liz I work with clients to help restore balance and simplicity through personal organizing, decluttering, styling and staging services. My holistic approach takes into account each client’s unique personality, their current stage of life, and long-term living goals. While the journey for each client is different, the end goal is the same: to achieve a home and work life with a bit more balance and simplicity.

You lost nearly everything in your home due to a fire in 2016. How did this change your relationship with your material possessions?

Liz: After the fire, I immediately rejected all material possessions. It was a really surprising reaction. I wanted nothing to do with “frivolous” or “useless” things. Some of those feelings were a simple response to the claim and insurance process (a total chore and headache), but truthfully I was just attempting to cope with the reality of losing our sentimental possessions. We choose to respond to this crisis in a positive way and I feared if I started to grieve these sentimental possessions, I might find myself headed to a dark and negative place. In retrospect, it wasn’t a super healthy reaction. However, it set me on course for simplifying and streamlining our lives—something that I’m very thankful for.

After the fire, I thought a lot about the hypothetical question: If your house was on fire, what’s the one thing you would save? And the answer is nothing. I promise. You would save nothing. Because after something like this happens, you immediately realize that you are the luckiest person in the world. Your partner is safe, your kids are safe, and your pup is safe. Other families aren’t so lucky. That’s the sad and scary reality. There is not a material possession in the world that is important enough to save.

Where am I at with material possessions today? I’ve loosened up and settled back into a safer reality. However, that initial response to the fire has created a set of principles on how we evaluate our material possessions. I have a tendency to think A LOT harder when I buy things that aren’t a necessity. Is it simple? Is it purposeful? How does it make me feel? What gap does this fill? I’m human. I still have wants for material goods that make me feel good or look good, but based on our experience with the fire, I want a lot less.

What’s the most satisfying part of your job?

Liz: Getting to know my clients on a deeper level. When you are sorting and decluttering someone’s possessions you are bound to create a bond. I do. They trust me to guide them to make the right decision about keeping or ditching some of their most beloved and prized possessions. How can you not create a bond?! The same goes for when I style a home. Home styling is a unique and creative way for a client to feel their best in a space that makes them feel confident and comfortable.

Do you think decluttering someone’s home can be life-changing?

Liz: 100 percent. Choosing to simplify your life by removing and rejecting meaningless “things” is deeply cleansing. The clearing of physical clutter is a great first step in the clearing of mental clutter. A clearer mind creates space for positive change and personal growth.

What advice do you have for parents who want to get rid of the clutter?

Liz: Oy! This is a tough one. The biggest advice I have for parents is to try to eliminate the need to remedy their kids’ boredom with toys and trinkets. I’m definitely guilty of this. Instead, try more experiential based gifts, rewards, or activities—arts and crafts, the zoo, the aquarium, the park, scooter and bike rides, home science kits, the mall, the waterpark, sidewalk chalk, playdates, etc. In the end, you’ve just gotta survive parenthood. So do what you’ve gotta do! No judgment from me.

You’ve voiced some concerns you have with Kondo method. Can you explain why you think people should proceed with caution? Or just perhaps manage their expectations?

Liz: First off, I’m a huge fan of Marie Kondo and the KonMari Method. She is a pioneer in tidying and organizing and her book has truly changed millions of people’s lives. Including mine! However, when I started styling and organizing professionally, I began to see a little breakdown in the method for me and my clients. Specifically, the method doesn’t account for one’s personality or stage of life. Based on my interpretation of the book, the method should not change to suit personality or your stage of life. To me and my clients, it’s not that simple. Life is more complicated. Don’t tell Marie, but I’ve adjusted the method and adopted other methods to create solutions based on my client’s unique personality and life stage. To me, it’s the most realistic and approachable way to achieve that “life-changing magic” of decluttering and organizing.

What is the most important room to keep organized?

Liz: I have two answers to this question: The space you feel most vulnerable and the space you feel the most confident. If cooking intimidates you, make your kitchen the most organized. Maybe it will inspire you to tackle a new skill. If you love cosmetics, make your bathroom the most organized. It will provide you with confidence and encourage self-care.

How do you handle sorting through sentimental items?

It’s a unique process for everyone. When I’m working with a client on sentimental items we just have to talk it out. I’ll start by asking a series of questions that ultimately lead my client to the right decision. Sometimes they talk themselves into keeping the item because that’s the conclusion that makes the most sense for them, at this life stage. Sometimes they talk themselves into saying goodbye because in the end, telling the item’s story to someone else was all they needed to honor it and move on.

Where do you like to shop for organizational products? What do you look for in pieces that are both functional and stylish?

Liz: Pretty much Ikea, Target, and The Container Store. It depends on the client. For most clients, I try to pick pieces that blend in with their current environment and design situation. They value streamlined and design forward organizational solutions. For other clients, they love color and bursts of texture; they care less about it looking cohesive, and more about function.

What’s the most rewarding part of your job?

Liz: See answer to question two! Creating deep and life-long relationships with people.

What parting advice do you have for someone who is a self-proclaimed “hoarder”?

Liz: What I’ve discovered with my self-proclaimed “hoarder” clients is that the “stuff” isn’t the real problem. The stuff is a way to regain control of something that feels out of balance in your life. I was working with a client who told me that she online shops all the time. Whenever she has a moment alone to  herself, she’s on her phone shopping. She gets the stuff, usually hates it and then puts it in her closet “just in case”. Now she feels like a clothes “hoarder”. For me, I can help her feel more balanced by addressing the physical nature of the problem. Beyond me, I often find that my “hoarding” clients have something much deeper going on in their lives that require more attention. So my advice for those clients is one step at a time. Get someone into your life who can help you tackle the first step (of many) and keep going from there. One step… and then another.

Hear more of our conversation with Liz Tornell of Hello, Liz here:

And please share with your friends and subscribe to the Wit & Delight Podcast wherever you listen!

BY Kate Arends - April 4, 2019

1. How Losing Everything I Owned Changed My Relationship with “Things” – Business Blog

April 4th, 2019 at 1:52 pm

[…] Continue reading How Losing Everything I Owned Changed My Relationship with “Things” at Wit &amp… […]

2. olamajece

April 5th, 2019 at 3:14 am

In my opinion, information from https://dissertationauthors.com/blog/dissertation-defense will be really useful to read for college students. It will help you with your dissertation defense

3. Link Round Up #47 : less is Meera

April 5th, 2019 at 11:19 am

[…] How losing everything changed my relationship with things. […]

4. tah

April 6th, 2019 at 3:05 am

google

5. Cat

April 7th, 2019 at 8:33 pm

It is crazy thinking about how much stuff I actually have…most of it I actually don’t need or even use. Whenever I watch moving vlogs, one of the most common phrases people say is “I can’t believe how much stuff I have”. Our relationship with things is sometimes concerning. I am trying to live more minimally, but it is hard. I really enjoyed the transcript of the conversation. I will have to listen to the podcast!

Cat

6. Style Bee - BOOKS & PODCASTS I'VE BEEN READING & LISTENING TO LATELY

May 17th, 2019 at 10:02 am

[…] HOW LOSING EVERYTHING I OWNED CHANGED MY RELATIONSHIP WITH “THINGS” […]

7. Bathing Suits

October 7th, 2019 at 7:57 pm

Bathing Suits
    The Victoria’s Secret stores at this time were “a niche player” in the underwear market.
    The business was described as “more burlesque than Main Street.”[16]In 1982, Victoria’s Secret had grown to five stores, a
    40 page catalog, and was grossing $6 million annually.[7] Raymond sold Victoria’s Secret Inc.
    To Leslie Wexner, creator of Limited Stores Inc of Columbus, Ohio,
    for $1 million.[7][17][18].

Tankini Swimwear If one is still damp and we aren’t going straight into the water, but instead grabbing breakfast or driving to find a beach
    or whatever. I put on the dry suit and a dress over top.
    It took me ten years to realize that, by god, I
    could afford a second swimsuit and I was worth it. Tankini Swimwear

wholesale bikinis Your situation will be a bit different, however,
    because of how divination interacts with other schools of magic.

A little Div can help any other kind of wizard, but a fully Div wizard is a bit underpowered on it
    own. Start by doing one for one swaps for abilities, but then closely monitor how effective you are at doing general tasks.

wholesale bikinis

Cheap Swimsuits How do I add websites that I find somewhere else to Stumbleupon? The easiest way is by adding the
    Stumbleupon tool bar. Another way is to click on the
    Favorites tab and then click on the add a site button. Provide the URL and your review by describing what the website is about and why people should view it..
    Cheap Swimsuits

bikini swimsuit Do they know how to drive? No. Do they know how to walk?
    No. Walking in front of me then coming at a dead stop for
    no apparent reason. While the design was meant to be utilitarian,
    it was also created so the actors could be seen in the
    suits and also run in them. The team created a foam mock
    up of Tom Cruise so the frame could be tailored for him.
    The team handcrafted 70 hard material and 50 soft material battle suits in the course of almost five months.
    bikini swimsuit

cheap swimwear You don know that without reading Warbreaker, but once you do it becomes obvious and it makes it
    a bit more enjoyable, but it not a huge deal.
    In OB, however, there are even more characters that worldhop from Nalthis to Roshar, characters that have a large role in the story doing things you will be a bit confused by if you haven read Warbreaker.
    It will definitely enhance your enjoyment of
    the story if you read Warbreaker first. cheap swimwear

swimwear sale Your family needs your support and help right now
    100 of you. Your friend might be disappointed, but if they are
    a decent person, will totally understand your families needs right now.
    This is a terrible time to be adding more stress or fighting, especially since you say yourself you know what it like to deal with losing a parent and the
    overwhelming grief and stress that causes. swimwear sale

one piece swimsuits Their relationship lasted a few months before the engagement was called
    off. Mesnick went on to become The Bachelor in 2009.[4][5]In October 2008, Pappas won Fox Reality Channel’s “Golden Realtini”,[6] given to the most memorable
    reality performer of the year. She was joined by actress Christine Lakin and Miss USA 2009 Rachel Smith.[15].
    one piece swimsuits

Cheap Swimsuits The words on the webpage must sell the visitor.
    They must persuade him to purchase your product above all
    others, hire your services not someone else’s, or donate to your nonprofit instead of another.
    And he must do all of this with tight copy within the space limitations of your site’s homepage and the order/signup page..
    Cheap Swimsuits

wholesale bikinis Ambitions and World Adventures
    were entirely new content to the sims universe. (I know bon voyage existed but
    it was barely the same) Every Sims 4 expansion so far is just a throwback to an old expansion for an earlier game.
    The only semi new one is Outdoor Retreat, and
    that’s like barely. wholesale bikinis

one piece swimsuits At this point they are
    out in the world, dressed and ready, i think at least some will be more likely
    to fill out applications and job hunt.if someone has an interview or
    something, they can go to that and be excused, or check in later or something.i think the most
    hardcore abusers, like people who run a convenience store, get
    EBT, then use it to buy sodas and snacks to sell in their store, might give up.
    This will drastically lower the number of people on welfare.iMissErin 55 points
    submitted 1 month agoThe “O word?” Seriously? You already glommed
    onto the lgbt equal rights movement using terms like “straight sizes” and “came out as fat” and
    now you want to correlate your personal failing and lack of self respect/willpower/accountability etc.,
    with the “N word?” One is a slur rooted in slavery and all manner of despicable human oppressions,
    rapes and murder and the other is a medical designation, created by people for the sole
    reason of helping diagnose and fix your body to make you live longer.I think adipose begins
    to rot brain tissue at some point.Earlybp 1 points submitted
    1 month agoWhy are so many of you focusing on whether she is cute
    or not, and denigrating her for being fat?That’s mean.She could be super
    cute to someone. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.She is worried for her friend because her friend has had body issues in the
    past one piece swimsuits.

8. bikini swimsuit

October 12th, 2019 at 4:05 pm

bikini swimsuit
    This in itself was an utterly incredible achievement by a 14
    year old girl. At age 16 2 years later she shot another round
    of 68 in the men’s tour Sony open and bettered the 36 hole score
    of 18 men including 2 major winners and matched the score of 9 others including 1 major winner.[22] She again played in the
    LPGA Kraft Nabisco Championship, finishing fourth.
    Team, she became the youngest woman ever to play in the Curtis Cup tournament.

Tankini Swimwear Note that you cannot send mass mail to all guild mates at once with this
    addon.Recount a DPS meter that will keep track of how much damage you done, and what your
    dps is. Don let that fool you though, it also tracks healing done,
    damage taken, absorbs, overhealing done, all kinds of things.
    It is very useful for analyzing your playstyle.I think that it for
    my most used addons. Tankini Swimwear

swimwear sale I not sure if our Train networks should be privately operated.
    Can anyone imagine the chaos this would cause?

If you can think of it now at this point in time then imagine it when the
    lines are privately operated. What if T7, T6 and T5 or whatever were all
    ran by different private companies?. swimwear
    sale

Bathing Suits Female privilege definitely exists
    in civilized countries. I think we nearing a point where gender doesn matter though.
    I mean look at this sub were a bunch of effeminate men and such a thing was totally unheard of being acceptable 50 years ago.
    The band members were outspokenly critical of peer to peer file sharing networks, due to the negative financial impact on artists
    dependent on success in record sales. During an interview with NY Rock
    in 2000, Keenan stated, “I think there are a lot of other industries out there that might deserve being destroyed. The ones who get hurt by MP3s are not so much companies or the business, but the artists, people who are trying to write songs.”[27].
    Bathing Suits

one piece swimsuits There is a new warning put out by the
    Canadian Food Inspection Agency brand Pirate Gold Milk.
    Chocolate coins are being recalled due to the fact that they contain Melamine, the ingredient in milk product that has caused many infant (and dog) deaths in china.
    These candies are sold at Costco, as well as many bulk and dollar stores.

one piece swimsuits

cheap bikinis Artificial irrigation led to cooperation and the development of a central
    government that was based on professional knowledge, a rule of hydraulic engineers.

The prosperity of everybody depended on a successful administration and a strong central government (cf.
    Karl Wittfogel’s hydraulic hypothesis). cheap bikinis

swimwear sale There are many on the web so check out the links.

The pay ranges from $5.00 to $100.00. A few links for more
    information check the links at the bottom.. Any international shipping is paid in part to Pitney Bowes Inc.
    Learn More opens in a new window or tabWe accept all returns
    within our 30 day return policy for new unused products.
    Please note that refunds are for the cost of the merchandise only and return shipping charges are
    not refundable.. swimwear sale

cheap bikinis Slide those bands onto double purple bands.
    Finally, slide all those bands onto double purple bands.
    I’m using solid purple colored bands for the body, but I’m also going to use
    a jelly purple for the hair. Men get liver biopsies, so ok, that can have pain medication. But passion medication for amniocentesis?
    I don think so. Anyone seeing a pattern here? Procedures for women only are painful and we are
    expected to endure this pain and judged if we don want to.
    cheap bikinis

swimwear sale I never really stepped out of my comfort
    bubble, even if I thought I did. Over here I am frequently thrown for loops, which
    at first was very, very stressful, but now I learning to kind of
    breathe into things and let them happen even if they out
    of my control. I still learning this though, I hope to be much more easy going about it in the
    future.Honestly, I could go on and on. swimwear sale

bikini swimsuit Next, the real test going out in public.
    I was worried I would feel like EVERYONE KNOWS.
    But I was going shopping with a friend and thought it would be the perfect, pressure free time to debut
    my new look. In 2003 Blythe was the subject in a segment on the VH1 special, I Love the
    ’70s, where she was said to look like either “Barbie with elephantiasis” or
    “Christina Ricci” among other things. The success in Japan led Hasbro
    to issue a license to Ashton Drake Galleries in 2004 to sell Blythe replica dolls
    in the United States, where the doll became a niche product in a marginal market, selling largely to adults.

In spring 2009, Alexander McQueen launched a fashion line for Target
    with an ad campaign featuring Blythe dolls bikini swimsuit.

9. www.youtube.com

October 12th, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Amazing Selling Machine is priced at USD four,997.