9 Podcasts That Will Make You Smarter

Lifestyle

Just when I start to feel overwhelmed in the Information Age, I remember when I had to learn how to use the card catalog system and referred to a set of Britannica encyclopedias when researching a school paper. I also am reminded of what an amazing time we live in when you can listen to a super talented writer or an expert in an obscure field share their knowledge while driving to work or doing dishes.

It is my favorite pastime, listening to podcasts. And while true crime is a genre I love to turn to when I need to tune out, I have expanded my knowledge base so much thanks to the list of podcasts below.

So if you love learning, are looking to up your game when suffering through small talk, or just want to throw off your snobby know-it-all cousin, these nine podcasts are bound to make you a little bit smarter while you do all the mundane things adults have to do.

Ologies by Alie Ward

It is hard not to be charmed by Alie’s unabashed love to science and learning, and it helps that she’s funny to boot (I’d definitely tune into a Netflix special of her talking to me about how Dolphins communicate). Alie covers one topic at a time with the curiosity we all remember from childhood. She never hesitates to ask the questions the rest of us might fear would make us look a bit silly, all for the sake of understanding how things work.

Becoming Wise by Krista Tibbett

Becoming Wise is part of the On Being network from the amazing Krista Tippett. The podcast curates big themes and topics covered by Tippett over the years with “wise and graceful lives.” You can consume them within the time it takes to make a cup of tea.

Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History

I wish I loved history as much when I was in school as I do as an adult! If you feel the same way, or just want to brush up on the history of pretty much everything with a new vantage point, this podcast is for you.

60-Second Science

Basically “How Stuff Works” in microdoses—for inquiring minds who don’t have a lot of extra time on their hands. Topics cover biology, sociology, medicine, and more.

Future Perfect by Vox’s Dylan Matthews

The premise of this show is to be a medium for the wild ideas people have that could change the way our world looks and have a positive impact on society. Each episode takes a radical idea, technology, or pursuit and looks at it through the lens of basic human needs, like episodes “How to save a stranger’s life” and “How to be a better carnivore.” This podcast presents a really wonderful way to think about the bridge between innovation and application in everyday life.

Hidden Brain by Shankar Vedantam

If you are curious about psychology, the brain, or what drives humans to do what we do, then you’ll love how Vedantam uses storytelling to reveal the patterns that drive our actions, and how they shape our choices and relationships.

No Man’s Land by The Wing

What is written in history books, as we’ve come to learn, isn’t necessarily the truth. The Wing explores the deeper stories of women who’ve exiled to the fringes of history for one reason or another, most often the result of being too bold, too progressive, or too outside the box for their day and age.

Start With This by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor

The premise of this show is to help you get outside your head and put your ideas in motion. They also have a membership forum where you are able to share your own ideas, get insights from other members, and begin to build relationships with other big thinkers.

Invisibilia by Alix Spiegel and Hanna Rosin

A hit from NPR right out of the gate, the show “explores the intangible forces that shape human behavior—things like ideas, beliefs, assumptions and emotions.”

Alright— YOUR TURN!! What podcast do you feel brings more insight and knowledge to your life?? We’d all love to know!

BY Kate Arends - June 11, 2019

1. 9 Podcasts That Will Make You Smarter – Business Blog

June 11th, 2019 at 12:54 pm

[…] Continue reading 9 Podcasts That Will Make You Smarter at Wit & Delight | Designing a Life Well-… […]

2. Samantha

June 11th, 2019 at 2:56 pm

STUFF YOU SHOULD KNOW! They cover all kinds of things, like How Barcodes Work, Rape Kits, The Tylenol Murders, Trampolines, and The Emu Wars.
    The podcast has been around for 11 years and has over 1,000 episodes, always something new and exciting!

June 13th, 2019 at 6:06 am

More Perfect — about the Supreme Court — is excellent. Start with the first episode and you’ll be enthralled!
    There’s also a podcast called Civics 101 by New Hampshire Public Radio (I believe). It’s exactly what it sounds like — basic explanations of political concepts and how the government works.

4. Katherine Myers

June 13th, 2019 at 11:41 am

NPR’s Throughline is great.

5. Sam

June 17th, 2019 at 2:17 pm

I love listening to podcasts and I’ve not heard of any of these so thank you for sharing! One of my favourite podcasts is Rise by Rachel Hollis.

6. Cindy Baldwin

June 26th, 2019 at 6:14 am

I also like Talk Nerdy, In Defense of Plants, This Podcast Will Kill You, and Science Vs.

7. Friday Faves | foodiecrush

July 12th, 2019 at 7:01 am

[…] 10 podcasts that will make you smarter. […]

8. Friday Faves | foodiecrush – BunRecipe

July 12th, 2019 at 7:48 am

[…] 10 podcasts that will make you smarter. […]

9. Friday Faves

July 12th, 2019 at 8:01 am

[…] 10 podcasts that will make you smarter. […]

10. Daniel

July 31st, 2019 at 2:34 pm

I believe that you should publish information about interesting podcasts much more regularly. I believe that podcasts it’s a perfect way to find a lot of new and useful information. Please keep doing this type of content.

Regards,
    Daniel from https://uxplanet.org/top-user-experience-ui-ux-design-agencies-3696f3daed4e

11. ThopTv

August 3rd, 2019 at 4:11 am

The Infinite Monkey Cage. Who this is for: Science enthusiasts that want a basic, entertaining low-down of the basics, such as forensic science or quantum physics. latest on thoptv