W&D Goes to Scandinavia: A Guide To Getting Lost in Norway

Travel & Leisure

photo_oct_24_5_05_17_am

Better late than never, they say! This month we’re looking back at our trip to Copenhagen, Norway, Stockholm, and Berlin last October. I’ll be sharing my favorite moments of the trip and giving you some shops, restaurants, and bars to add to your future itinerary.

photo_oct_26_9_06_05_am

Welcome to my favorite portion of the trip: Norway, the most beautiful country in the world, in my opinion! This section is less of a guide, as we stayed in cabins owned by my friend’s family in a remote part of the country, in between Kristiansand and Mandal. At the southernmost point of Norway, real life just kind of melted away. Our foursome added another couple, and we spent the next 4 days cooking, drinking, play games, and walking along the fjord.

photo_oct_24_7_08_09_am

photo_oct_26_9_00_52_am

photo_oct_26_7_23_43_am

photo_oct_26_2_58_36_pm

photo_oct_25_8_19_08_am

photo_oct_26_7_21_57_am

photo_oct_25_7_11_11_am

We took a day trip to the southernmost point of the country to visit the historic Lindesnes lighthouse. Salt-filled air whipped our cheeks pink as we watched violent waves crash to shore. It was cold, beautiful, and powerful.

photo_oct_25_6_50_41_am

photo_oct_25_7_03_22_am

photo_oct_25_4_01_26_am

Breakfast continues, smorgasbord style!

photo_oct_25_2_30_54_pm

photo_oct_25_3_04_16_pm

The entire group…

Photo-Oct-24,-6-17-52-AM

…plus Joe! We ended up adding a day on to this portion of the trip because we were all so relaxed. Stockholm could wait another day.

Images: Original content by Wit & Delight, LLC.

BY Kate Arends - February 8, 2016

1. mariell

February 8th, 2016 at 10:59 am

I found it so funny, being norwegian, how everyday these pictures felt to me, like the breakfast table looks exactly like mine when I’m home, but at the same time it was so nice to get a glimpse of why people find Scandinavia so exotic.

2. Aimee

February 8th, 2016 at 11:38 am

Beautiful photos! I’m so excited to visit the Scandinavian countries one day.

Aimee

3. Alyssa

February 8th, 2016 at 11:50 am

Visited Norway a few years ago. Brings back some good memories!

4. Emily

February 8th, 2016 at 12:08 pm

I spent two summers in Sweden and Norway as a teen. It is a magical place. My husband is looking to try to get a sabbatical there for a year or two. Beautiful pictures!

xo

5. MIRJAM

February 8th, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Great Diary and amazing pics – Norway has a save place on my travel bucket list!
    xx. Mirjam

6. girl C

February 9th, 2016 at 1:52 am

I love posts like this! Norway seems to be such a beautiful place I need to visit 🙂

girl C

7. Christina

February 9th, 2016 at 3:31 pm

Hi Kate! I have longed to visit Norway as my part of my family is from there (great-great grandmother). I get nervous about traveling to a country with a different primary language. How did you find the communication? Did everyone speak English in addition to Norweigain? Were the locals patient with the language differences? Thanks!

8. Vanessa

February 9th, 2016 at 6:36 pm

These pictures are wonderful to look at! I really need to add Norway to my ever-growing list of countries to travel to. The scenery + breakfast smorgasbord pretty much won me over.

9. humpjump | cait +tiff

February 10th, 2016 at 1:41 am

[…] What? I wanna get lost in Norway.  […]

10. Alice

February 10th, 2016 at 6:35 am

I am completely in awe with this post. The pictures are so beautiful and smørrebrød (Danish? Does it have a different name in Norway? I’m lost!) done properly is something I would KILL for!

Definitely taking a trip soon 🙂 X

11. Lena

February 10th, 2016 at 6:39 am

Hi Christina! We swedes and norwegians learn english in school, started at a very early age. In scandinavia it is very rare to dub TV-shows, and all popular culture including the entire internet is in english. Of course, some people may be nervous to talk to you, in case they might say something wrong, but I can assure you that you will be understood. Me and my boyfriend often laugh about that we sometimes think in english and translate to swedish before we speak. You will do just fine! 🙂

12. links and things |

February 12th, 2016 at 7:21 am

[…] Currently dreaming of getting lost in Norway. […]

13. Monday Links to Love - buttons and blossoms

February 29th, 2016 at 6:00 am

[…] love wit and delight’s recap of her trip to Scandanavia, especially Norway. Such gorgeous […]

14. Christina

April 17th, 2016 at 11:29 am

Can you say where these photos were taken? We are taking a trip to Norway next month and I would love to stay in those small towns and see those same coastlines! Also, would you recommend having a car to get around or are there any other options? (taxi, trains etc)

Thank you for your help!

April 18th, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Hi Christina,

Most of our Norway trip was spent on private property, aside from our trip to the lighthouse which is outlined here. Sorry I couldn’t be more of help!