Shopping Global While Staying Local

Lifestyle

Spring is in the air, which means for a lucky few: spring break. A chance to get away from the everyday and experience an adventure or maybe a new culture. Lately, I’ve been dreaming about blue skies, blue water and sun-drenched streets. Alas, there is no escaping work this month, but that hasn’t stopped me from infusing a bit of the Mediterranean into my home.

Like many of you, I have come to rely on Target’s range of home décor and entertaining items, and I’m especially excited about this season’s products from Nate Berkus and Threshold™ which were both influenced by global markets from abroad. I recently hosted a little pop-up brunch at the office and surprised my office mates by incorporating some of Target’s new collection of global-inspired pieces with some tried and true essentials from my arsenal at home.

W+D_NateBerkusGlobal-8

It wasn’t hard to meld my traditional/modern style with the new collections, and it shouldn’t be… because experimenting with style is just that: experimenting! Here are a few simple tips to incorporate global design, or any style for that matter, into your everyday:

Mix and Match. Pick pieces that will complement, not compete with existing items. Often times, a similar color palette will ground items no matter what style they fit into. I prefer neutrals to let florals and food really stand out on a the table.

W+D_NateBerkusGlobal-7

Keep it Simple. Don’t overdo it. Pick out pieces that will stand out and feel natural in your home. Most of us don’t live in a museum/showroom so pick pieces you don’t mind other handling.

W+D_NateBerkusGlobal-24

Small pieces, big impact. Nervous about commitment? Test drive a new style with a vase or small accent piece, something that is noticeable, but not necessarily a focal item.

W+D_NateBerkusGlobal-22

Location, location, location. I love finding pieces that are meant for one thing, but are used for another. Don’t need another serving platter? Consider hanging it on the wall!

Have fun. Ignore design “rules”. Personal style, whether in fashion or in decor, is all about expressing your personality. Experiment with mixing and matching patterns and colors. It isn’t brain surgery, after all.

W+D_NateBerkusGlobal-19

Product: Carved Wood Tray with Silver Handle – Threshold™ // Threshold™ Horn Bowl // Nate Berkus™ Small Sandcasted Tray – Gold // 3.5 X 3.5 X 4 Inch Green Artificial Arrangement // Threshold™ Wooden Turned Candle Holder Medium // Threshold™ Wooden Turned Candle Holder Large // Threshold™ Large Vase, Obi Design, Old Creamy Brown // Threshold™ Large Vase, Obi Design, Old Creamy White // Brass Handled Vase – Nate Berkus™ // Crackle Glaze Painted Bowl White – Nate Berkus™ // Wooden Planter Stand with Pot 12″ – Black – Threshold™

Images: 2nd Truth Photography

This post is brought to you by TargetStyleShop the new Home collection in stores and online.

BY Kate Arends - March 29, 2016