When Love is Ruff – Confessions of a Dog Momma

Lifestyle

If you know me personally or follow me on social media, you know I love my dog. When James and I finally got settled in our new house (about 2 years ago) and had workplaces that allowed dogs, I popped the question, “Can we get a dog now?”

He wasn’t on board at first. He didn’t grow up having dogs like I did, so he definitely lacked the same affinity for dogs as I had. He threw out every excuse: “Who’s going to watch it when we’re gone?” “How expensive is dog food?” “How expensive are vet visits?” For every question, I had an answer. I wasn’t going to give up on my cause.

Then I had an idea. “What if we foster a dog, first?” James was still skeptical, but I think my enthusiasm was hard to dismiss. And truth be told, I was using fostering as a trick to adopt. Sorry, not sorry. So I reached out to Twin Cities Pet Rescue and said we were interested in being fosters. The foster coordinator asked if we would be open to fostering bully breeds (Pit Bulls, Boxers, Bulldogs, etc). I (we) said yes. I grew up adopting Boxers, so bully breeds weren’t foreign to me. The next day the coordinator sent us a video of Ellie (she was named Oreo then), she had ears that stood straight up and were too big for her head; she looked like she had the energy of a lightning bolt. She had been at animal control for the past month. So, being the emotional dog lover that I am, we went to see Ellie the next night after work. We saw four other dogs while we were there, she was definitely the one we felt a connection to – when you know, you know, am I right?

Follow Colleen on Instagram @2ndTruth

So we picked her up the next night, and because she’s a pittie-mix, the rescue wanted her to stay with us for at least a month to have her get acclimated (Ellie had been stray, twice). A month and a half went by, and we got an email, “It’s time to post Ellie!” We were supposed to write her “adopt me” bio. Then I lost it.

There was no way I was going to give her back. In the month and a half we had her, we naturally got attached. I had paid for 6 weeks of obedience classes at Canine Coach (which I would highly recommend), bought two dog beds (one for the kitchen and one for the living room, obviously). I was invested. Despite the fact that James was playing it off like he still wasn’t sure if he wanted the commitment of having a dog, he was in love too. On the plane to see my mom in Hawaii, I had a meltdown. “How can you honestly say you don’t want to keep her?” He was playing the, “I just don’t know if we’re ready yet.” Little did I know, he was covering for the fact that he had bought a monogrammed leather collar for her and was going to give it to me as a Christmas gift as a “Surprise! We’re keeping her!” gift. But the rescue’s email botched the surprise and he had to tell me to prevent the potential end of our relationship. Good choice.

In the year and a half that we’ve had Ellie, we’ve learned so much about ourselves as individuals and as a couple. I’ve watched James go from saying, “She can’t be on the furniture or sleep on the bed” to letting her sleep on his pillow, holding her like a baby and giving her “muzzie kisses,” and letting her lick his dinner plate. I’ve carved out time in my day to take her to the park for a half an hour to chase after tennis balls when prior to Ellie, I couldn’t even take that time for myself. The first winter we had her, we got outside more times that we ever had in the past.

Adopting Ellie has been one of the best decisions we’ve ever made. She has taught us that unconditional love comes in the form of a big eared, 30-pound Pit Bull mix that likes to lick feet and be the little spoon. She doesn’t care if our breath smells bad, if I have a huge zit on my forehead or if James hasn’t showered in a few days. She loves us so damn much, without judgment or expectations (except for two square meals and a bite or two of whatever we’re eating). She tests our patience, like any kid does, by getting into the recycling (totally our fault for leaving it out), or by wanting to play when all we want to do is watch a movie.

Being a dog mom to Ellie has taught me that motherhood comes in many forms. Like any mom, I worry about her when she isn’t feeling well (I cried when we had to give her hydrogen peroxide after she ate a corn cob). I give her baths and clip her nails. I pick up her poops. I wash her blankets (yes, she has her own blankets). It pisses me off when she runs around in the dirt in the backyard, right after she’s had a bath because then we have to give her puppy pedis. She knows when she’s been naughty. She knows when she’s being cute. I love her. We love her so much. She brings so much joy into our lives. Life was good before we adopted Ellie, but it’s even better now that we have her. She makes us laugh, she makes us cry, she makes us better people. I don’t know when (or if) human children will come into the picture for me, but in the meantime, being Ellie’s dog mom is good enough.

Images by Diana Albrecht

Image by Chelsey Werth

Colleen Eversman is a talented photographer at 2ndTruth, a woman’s activist and proud dog-momma to a small and spunky Pitbull mix named Ellie. She loves living in Minneapolis and takes her coffee black.

BY Colleen Eversman - May 8, 2017

1. Frances

May 8th, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Cried reading this. I love being a dog momma to my little one too.

2. Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

May 8th, 2017 at 12:09 pm

I don’t have a dog myself, but it was nice reading this. Now I understand those crazy dog mommas a bit more!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

3. Sarah Katherine Wyland

May 8th, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Aren’t dogs just THE BEST? I fret and worry over my little yorkie like he’s a child. Current dilemma? My very favorite pet sitter – who was supposed to keep him next week! – is moving at the end of this week and now I have to find the perfect person to stay with him all over again – and quickly!

Ellie is beautiful! I’m so glad she found you!

4. Joy

May 8th, 2017 at 2:12 pm

This made me happy. Especially as an owner of a pittie rescue myself. My dog, Juniper, not only keeps me great company and is such a sweet creature — she’s also taught me so much about myself. WAY more than I ever would have expected.

5. Keri

May 8th, 2017 at 3:44 pm

YES! They do find us when we are ready. My husband and I were not even looking for a dog when we found Frankie, the most adorable and amazing rescue dog. I cried when we had to leave her there for the night, and then proceeded to look at the few pics I had snapped of her until we could come back for her. We do not have children yet, but the love I have for her is unreal – she makes me happy, makes me take myself less seriously, and has taught me a deeper love and level of patience I had previously not known. Thank you for sharing this!

6. Ali

May 12th, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Thank you for posting this! I became a dog momma this summer and I can’t believe how it’s made me a better person and taught me a lot about life. My friends think we’re crazy for how much we obsess over him like he’s our child. I don’t know if kids will come into the picture for us, but for now I’m glad I can be a dog momma to our 75lb baby lab. I cry tears of joy about it all the time because I can’t believe how great he is. <3

7. Trans Lombok

May 23rd, 2017 at 3:40 am

“Being a dog mom to Ellie has taught me that motherhood comes in many forms. Like any mom, I worry about her when she isn’t feeling well (I cried when we had to give her hydrogen peroxide after she ate a corn cob)”

then it should be on me too

8. Gabby

August 18th, 2017 at 12:20 pm

I just cried reading this, it’s so sweet! And exactly how I feel about my two little doggies too! I would be so lost without them!
    -gabby