Lazy Girl’s Guide to Being Healthy This Summer

Health & Wellness

Lazy Girl's Guide to Being Healthy This Summer

There’s something about summer that seems to magically put a glass of wine in your hand the second you get home from work. Maybe it’s all the patios you drive by or all the Instagram posts full of ice cream cones, but there’s fun all around you, and you want in on it, dammit. But if all the sangrias and Dilly Bars leave you feeling tired, groggy, headache-y or just plain down, you might want to use this summer as a chance to build some healthy new habits. As a chicken nugget and Coke Zero lover at heart, I’ve seen firsthand how much better you can feel if you eschew the aforementioned items in favor of food grown in the ground once in awhile. These are my best shortcuts to health for real, actual people, who may or may not spend half their life in Shondaland and the other half staring at their laptop. We can be healthy too!

1. Set One Goal
Looking at so-called “health influencers” on social media can be incredibly intimidating. They often have before and after pictures showing they’ve gone from super-damn-skinny to super-damn-ripped, all from cutting out eighteen different food groups. Before you get lost in that world, take it easy on yourself. Just pick one goal that you want to tackle this summer. Maybe you want to get rid of your debilitating headaches, learn to sleep better or get the best skin you’ve ever had. Picking one variable will help you see whether or not your healthy changes are working. You can even keep a journal on it if you like. Don’t underestimate the power of writing with an actual pen once in awhile!

Lazy Girl's Guide to Being Healthy This Summer

2. Eat the Rainbow
When it comes to food, summer is one of the best times of the year. Fruit is fresher and more vibrant than ever, and it’s easier to get your produce local. Instead of worrying too much about what you shouldn’t be eating, try to eat as many colors in a day as you can. This guarantees your diet will be full of antioxidants, which also happen to be pretty.

2. Consider Taking Fish Oil
I used to get major headaches every time I had my period, and almost every time I flew on a plane. I thought it was just “me.” Maybe I was genetically cursed to get headaches. Then, one day, I went to CostCo and got a giant thing of fish oil and started taking it every day, and I saw a massive reduction in headaches. The CostCo kind helped me, but opt for organic fish oil sold from the refrigerated section of the co-op if you want to ensure your supplements aren’t rancid. And keep those puppies in your fridge. If you’re vegan, you may be able to get Omega-3’s from non-animal sources, but consult with a nutritionist if this is a major concern for you. (Also, see my caveat at the bottom of this post.)

Lazy Girl's Guide to Being Healthy This Summer

3. Read Healthy
A great book to start with is The Wellness Project by Phoebe Lapine. Reeling from a diagnosis of Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Lapine tries a bunch of wellness trends to figure out what actually works for her. She’s hilarious and relatable, and calls out bullshit where she sees it. She also makes a great point that stressing about your health too much may actually make you feel worse.

4. Drink Water with Your Booze
In lieu of going down the rabbit hole of alcohol’s effects of health, I’m going to say this: When you do drink, have a glass of water for every drink you have. You’ll feel way better.

Lazy Girl's Guide to Being Healthy This Summer

5. Use Spices
I’ve read a handful of books on health in the past year and one “aha” moment I had was that spices are good for you. Everyone’s talking about turmeric right now, but in general there’s a connection between spices that taste good and real, measurable health benefits. Read up on the benefits of what’s in your spice cabinet and learn to season your food well. One caveat: if you HATE one spice or tend to get sick from it, do not eat it. Our generation has a bunch of weird food sensitivities (thanks, antibiotics!), so there’s a chance that the paprika you loathe irritates your immune system. Trust your palate to guide you to the foods and flavors that your body needs.

6. Work Out for Free
If you don’t work out at all, you may be missing out on the chance to get rid of some stress by moving your bod. Start slow and free. Take a 30-minute walk every day, or grab Nike+ Training Club app. It features free workouts segmented by time and goal, and it’s amazing. Do one every other day and see if you feel better. I bet you will. Just don’t go over the top with your workouts, as failing to rest can worsen inflammation.

7. Get Thee a Good Protein Powder
I went to see a nutritionist last year and she was immediately struck by my trouble with sleep. Her surprising remedy? More protein. As she put it, protein helps make neurotransmitters that let us enjoy deep, restful sleep. Needing more protein doesn’t mean you need to inhale pulled pork at every meal (although sometimes I do). Just grab a protein powder that works for you. Protein powders are a huge market, and it can be confusing to know which one to pick. There are vegan options, whey options, and even collagen peptide proteins. Grab some of the mini packets at the co-op and try them one at a time. Choose the one that makes you feel the best. Watch for symptoms of allergies, sinus pain, headaches or stomach aches. These could signal that something in a protein powder isn’t sitting right with your body. If you’re going to be replacing whole foods with protein powder, make sure it’s one that makes you feel great.

Caveat: I’m not a doctor, so consult with a doctor or nutritionist before making major diet or lifestyle changes.

Image sources: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4

BY Becky Lang - June 27, 2017

1. Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

June 27th, 2017 at 10:50 am

Love the idea of just setting one goal. Keeps us focused!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

2. Natalie Harney

June 27th, 2017 at 6:22 pm

Eating the rainbow is so fun in summer now that so many fruits are in season, I just want to eat them all!

– Natalie

3. Greta

June 27th, 2017 at 8:15 pm

I’ve been hearing about fish oil for a while…other than reducing headaches (though this is a big one), do you see/feel any other benefits?

– Greta

4. becky

July 4th, 2017 at 4:35 pm

Hi Greta – This article does a pretty good job at covering it. https://draxe.com/fish-oil-benefits-health/

Background: I worked with a dietitian last fall who gave me a nutrient deficiency test. I was very high in Omega-6 fatty acids and low in Omega-3’s, so she advised I take fish oil twice a day. She said it was a better way to get back in balance than consuming a lot more fish, which is often contaminated with mercury. In general, smaller fish contain less mercury and larger fish (like tuna) contain more. The efficacy of any supplement can be questionable, and some believe that a better way to balance our omega fatty acids is to reduce sources of Omega-6 fats rather than take fish oil. Since 6’s are in what feels like everything, I choose to take fish oil. You can also look for Omega-3 eggs, or eat walnuts and chia seeds. Reducing headaches was the main benefit I felt, but that was also my main symptom. How you feel might change depending on your personal symptoms of inflammation. Hope that helped!

5. newhope

July 18th, 2017 at 4:59 am

The article is very useful and meaningful. I belive you can make it better! goodluck!

6. Lindsey at This Miss Cooks

July 27th, 2017 at 7:29 pm

This list really reminds me of how I was able to be successful when I first started getting healthy. Making health an approachable process instead of an impossible goal is so useful. And honestly, the results of easy things (like downing water with your alcohol) will be reinforcing all on their own. No magic, just positive outcomes feeding into more good choices. 🙂

7. Gabby

August 18th, 2017 at 12:37 pm

I love all these tips! I’m going to try out the Nike app!
    -gabby

8. John @ MyKetoPartner

August 21st, 2018 at 3:37 pm

Very good points made in this article. Setting a goal is rightfully in the no.1 spot. It’s the basis for making your actions meaningful and makes decisions much more clear cut. Thanks for sharing this post.

9. Denmark @ Healthy Living

October 23rd, 2018 at 9:55 pm

It is really good to have a healthy living. Thank you for writing down and sharing this article.

10. Shane

January 3rd, 2019 at 6:34 pm

This is a great guide, and I love that part about fish oil. I’ve been taking it lately, and I never thought it can help reduce headaches. And yes, I still write with a pen.

11. Mayumi Liwayway Espina

January 10th, 2019 at 7:16 pm

I agree with this article. It’s really important to set a goal for yourself. Health should be a priority especially while we’re young. Eating healthy is a good start towards that journey.

12. Stella

January 25th, 2019 at 3:27 am

Exercise, proper diet, and drink plenty of water. That’s the best way to stay healthy. Being healthy should be the goal.