6 Easy-to-Grow, Can’t-Kill Houseplants For Beginners

Interiors & Decor

6 Easy-to-Grow, Can't-Kill Houseplants For Beginners – Wit & Delight

There’s something very magical about filling a home with greenery. No matter the space or size, it seems lush, and happy houseplants always know the way to livening up any room. These little guys do everything in their might to lift our spirits, and yet why do so many of us fall short when keeping them alive?

Please tell me you’ve had your fair share of killing plants, right?

Phew.

Yet after a little research — and a lot of plant-killing guilt — I finally found the best houseplants for beginners. Yes, these will need a bit of water and TLC, but other than that these plants are easy to grow and pretty tough to kill.

Trust me, if I can cultivate a green thumb, you can. Everyone can. The whole world can. So whether you’re looking for some greenery to thrive in your apartment, office, dorm room, or even a dark, dismal corner, these plants have your back!

6 Easy-to-Grow, Can't-Kill Houseplants For Beginners – Wit & Delight1. Prayer Plant

Adored for its fun foliage, the Prayer Plant is a hardy indoor plant that is super easy to grow and maintain. This type of houseplant does best in bright, indirect sunlight. Although, it can be somewhat tolerant of dimly-lit areas, too. Feed it with warm water about every two weeks while showing it some love, and it will do the rest of the work for you.

6 Easy-to-Grow, Can't-Kill Houseplants For Beginners – Wit & Delight2. Split Leaf Philodendron

When it comes to impossible-to-kill-house-plants, the Split Leaf Philodendron will always take the crown. This large-and-in-charge houseplant makes a great addition to any space. It thrives when exposed to bright, indirect light (even artificial light!) and should be kept evenly moist. The best part? This plant even grows edible fruit that tastes like pineapple. Plus, you can cut off one of the huge leaves and keep it in a vase for up to a month. Talk about a win-win!

6 Easy-to-Grow, Can't-Kill Houseplants For Beginners – Wit & Delight3. Air Plants

Three words: no soil required. These tiny plants redefine little-to-no-maintenance, as they only require about a misting every now and then. Even if you consider yourself to be the most neglectful gardener, you can keep these babies alive.

6 Easy-to-Grow, Can't-Kill Houseplants For Beginners – Wit & Delight4. Lucky Bamboo

If you’re looking to infuse some fresh air into your office space, the Lucky Bamboo is for you. Not only does this perennial plant thrive in even the stalest of working conditions (bad lighting, poor air quality, sporadically watered, etc.), but it’s also believed to enhance positive energy and bring about good luck. Who knows, that luck could bring about a promotion?!

6 Easy-to-Grow, Can't-Kill Houseplants For Beginners – Wit & Delight5. Ponytail Palm

Also known as the Bottle Palm, this plant is another low-maintenance winner. With its large, long truck that stores water, this palm is practically indestructible. It is happiest when watered once a week and situated in an extra sunny spot.

6 Easy-to-Grow, Can't-Kill Houseplants For Beginners – Wit & Delight 6. Succulents and Cacti

I bet you knew this one was coming. But how could succulents and cacti not be on a houseplants-for-beginners list!? Forget maintenance — these plants practically thrive on neglect. These cuties can seriously take the heat, so be sure to place them in the sunniest spot of a space. Window sills are a great option. Water sparingly and they will be your forever companion!

Shop the Story

H&M Metal Plant Pot • H&M • $17.99
3R Studios Ceramic Fluted Flower Pots set of 2 – White (6″) • $36.49
3R Studios Ceramic Fluted Flower Pot – Black (7″) • $36.99
3R Studios Ceramic Flower Pot – White/Gold (4″) • $24.69
Threshold 8.6″ Round Rattan Tabletop Planter – Wood • Threshold • $12.99
Orla Kiely – Small Oval Flower Plant Pot – Apple • Orla Kiely • $26.45
H&M Large Stoneware Plant Pot • H&M • $24.99
Room Essentials Herb Trio Planter • $3.99
Threshold Black Stripe Sea Grass Basket • Threshold • $22.49

Images sources: 12 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7

Kathryn McLamb is a writer and photographer on a mission to inspire others to celebrate the everyday. She runs her blog Pineapple Street, and when she’s not plotting her next travel adventure, you can find her wandering the colorful city streets in San Francisco.

BY Kathryn M. - August 11, 2017

1. Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

August 11th, 2017 at 10:54 am

Plants always die under my care (seems like I didn’t inherit my Dad’s green thumb!) so these plants are great to know. I am considering fakes as well, but nothing beats live greens!

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

2. Kathryn McLamb

August 12th, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Trust me, I was the same way. Each time one would die, I’d feel guilt. But these plants really make me feel like I know what I’m doing 😉

3. Katy

August 11th, 2017 at 4:41 pm

I have a spider plant, and that’s about the only plant I’ve managed to keep alive so far, but will definitely give these a go!

4. Kathryn McLamb

August 12th, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Oh, yes spider plants are great, too! I’m sure these plants will work out as well!

5. Mia

August 12th, 2017 at 10:21 am

I want to add some greenery to my space but I’ve always been hesitant because I know I’d fail at keeping the plant alive, haha! This was so helpful! I love all of the pot recommendations, too!

Mia | http://www.verymuchmia.com

6. Kathryn McLamb

August 12th, 2017 at 7:19 pm

Thanks so much for reading, Mia! I used to feel the same way, but I’ve definitely had luck with all the ones listed above. My goal is to one day have a Fiddle Leaf plant, too, as they’re just gorgeous!

7. Elizabeth

August 12th, 2017 at 11:08 am

This is so helpful because I am literally like a plant serial killer!
    Elizabeth || Liz Living

8. Kathryn McLamb

August 12th, 2017 at 7:24 pm

Glad to be of assistance, Elizabeth! These plants will definitely wipe that feeling away, guaranteed 🙂

9. Mun

August 12th, 2017 at 8:37 pm

I managed to kill my string of pearls…… eek

10. Jenni @ Unclutter Your Universe

August 13th, 2017 at 2:03 am

I’ve always been terrible with house plants, but would love to have some in our home,so will give some of these a try. What would you recommend for placing in a bathroom?

11. Jorge

August 13th, 2017 at 6:47 pm

Excellent article, keep it up and thank you for sharing!!

12. Breamons

August 14th, 2017 at 10:54 am

I did not think that Split Leaf Philodendron had edible fruit! It was great to learn something new about these happy little guys!

13. Alina

August 14th, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Love adding plants to my interior – they really do make the room look alive!

14. Thomas Bumpus

August 14th, 2017 at 10:13 pm

I’ve only had a cactus in the living room, recently I planted a succulent plants and hope they live healthy. I think I can grow some lucky bamboos.

15. Robyn

August 15th, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Air plants need more than misting. Soak them once or twice a week for about an hour at a time, then let them dry completely before putting them back where you have them displayed. I usually lay mine upside down on a towel for a few hours til they are dry. You can also add a little air plant fertilizer to their soak water once a month. They also have “pups” aka baby plants after blooming that can be gently removed from the mother plant when they are about a third of their mothers size. So you get rewarded with more air plants. They really are one of the easiest plants to grow😊

16. Robyn

August 15th, 2017 at 10:08 pm

I also didn’t know about the Split Leaf Philodendron having edible fruit!! I just wish mine would grow as big as the one shown, gorgeous!!!

17. E

August 16th, 2017 at 2:06 am

What is the plant in the first picture? the one with the monochrome bathroom.

18. Stefani Ellenbecker // Editorial Director

August 17th, 2017 at 10:27 am

I think that one is a bird of paradise plant!

19. Sarah

August 17th, 2017 at 1:48 am

Totally bookmarking for my apartment. I’m so scared of killing inside plants I don’t even know where to start. But I love these and totally have to look into them.

Sarah | http://sundaysmitten.com

20. Daria

August 17th, 2017 at 3:37 pm

Absolutely love such posts !!!
    -Daria

21. Gabby

August 18th, 2017 at 11:43 am

I am ashamed to admit that my first succulent died 🙁 doing better on my next one though!
    -gabby

22. KMP Furniture Blog

October 29th, 2017 at 6:33 pm

This is a great guide for beginners. Plants are such a great addition to any interior and this might well be your start to adding more.

23. natalia

December 28th, 2017 at 11:21 pm

I think that one is a bird of paradise plant very good

24. marcela

December 30th, 2017 at 10:29 pm

This is a great guide for beginners, very goood!!