5 Insanely Gorgeous, Under-the-Radar European Getaways to Escape to This Winter

Travel & Leisure

As much as I adore the thoughts of a dreamy winter wonderland, let’s be real: it never takes long before the serene scenes of snow take a dreadful turn. Bone-chilling blizzards. Teeth-chattering temperatures. I don’t know about you, but when these unwelcome guests come knocking, that’s always my cue to start plotting a great escape. You know, an any-where-but-here type getaway. Because no matter if it’s near or far, there are very few remedies I’ve found to be more helpful when seeking to cure a SAD case of wintertime blues than the idea of getting the heck out of town.

So if you’re itching to tap into your sense of adventure and ditch the daily routine of scraping thick layers of ice off your windshield, brace yourself, because the insanely gorgeous, under-the-radar European destinations below are sure to spark some wintertime wanderlust.

And the best part? Since this time of year is considered the “off-season” for most travelers, you’re guaranteed to find amazing deals on tours, flights, and accommodations, allowing you to stretch your getaway-budget a whole lot farther.

If you’re craving majestic mountains, then head to…Lucerne, Switzerland.

Although Europe is steeped to the brim with beauty and enchantment, there is nowhere else quite as delightful than the lovely little city of Lucerne. Situated on a glistening lake and surrounded by a ring of majestic mountains, this Swiss setting is so spectacular, there’s no doubt it will send awe-inspiring tingles up your spine the moment you arrive. Sprinkled with covered bridges, candy-colored houses, and a lively waterfront promenade, a trip to Lucerne will truly be one adventure that’s never forgotten.

If you’re in the mood for a romantic rendezvous, then head to…Reims, France.

What better place to raise your glasses and toast to romance than the Champagne Region itself? Whether you’re strolling hand-in-hand down the narrow cobblestone streets or sampling fizzy bubbles in historic underground cellars, Reims is the ultimate destination for a romantic getaway. Plus, it’s just a short, 45-minute train ride from Paris, making this mesmerizing city conveniently located and extremely easy to explore.

If you’re yearning for fascinating fairy-tale vibes, then head to…Bruges, Belgium.

From the moment you arrive in Bruges, you’ll notice there is something different about this tiny, medieval town; something special. Of course, there are tons of other destinations woven through Europe that offer picturesque courtyards and dreamy canals, but this northern pocket of Belgium delivers a type of fairy-tale charm rarely found anywhere else in the world. Just a few seconds will be all it takes before you magically feel as if you’ve been transported back in time. My advice? Embrace this feeling. Extend your stay. And of course, eat lots and lots of the notoriously-delicious waffles.

If you’re seeking a little fun-in-the-sun, then head to…Lake Como, Italy.

Plunging mountainsides, hidden hilltop villages, a sparkling waterfront, and glorious sunshine is there anything about Lake Como not to love? Not only will this alluring corner of Italy make your heart flutter with oh-so-much happiness, it will also work wonders for your soul, too. Whether you spend your time sailing around the shimmering lake, soaking up the fiery sunsets, or perusing through all the lovely, local Italian shops, you’ll leave with a newfound sense of rejuvenation. And did I mention George Clooney even owns a villa here!?

If you’re looking for the ultimate idyllic retreat, then head to…England’s Lake District.

Acclaimed for its tranquil vibes and radiant natural beauty, the Lake District is so magnificently beautiful, it very well might make you cry. I say this because that’s exactly what happened to me the first time I visited this mountainous region in Northwest England. Yes, salty tears raced down my cheeks the moment my eyes caught sight of the stunning, sweeping vistas. Home to lush valleys, glittering lakes, and countless fuzzy sheep, this area will offer peace, serenity, and a lifetime worth of inspiration.

So, ready to pack your bags!?

Image sources: top image; the rest by Kathryn.

BY Kathryn M. - February 4, 2018

1. Chelsea

February 4th, 2018 at 7:55 pm

Oh my goodness! All of these places seem so beautiful! Bruges and Lake Como are actually on my travel bucket list. Great picks!

xx Chelsea

2. Kathryn McLamb

February 8th, 2018 at 3:33 pm

Thanks for reading, Chelsea! Let me know if you ever need any tips to Bruges and Lake Como when you start planning your getaway 🙂

3. Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

February 4th, 2018 at 9:26 pm

Ugh, I’d love to go to all of these places. Bring me to Europe, please – if only the plane tickets from Hong Kong weren’t so expensive! 😉

Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog

4. Kathryn McLamb

February 8th, 2018 at 3:34 pm

Ah, I know the feeling, Charmaine. But man oh man is Hong Kong definitely on my bucket list. I’ve heard it’s such an amazing city!!

5. Kelly

February 4th, 2018 at 11:12 pm

Quick correction: it’s “rendez-vous”, not “randevú”.

6. Taste of France

February 5th, 2018 at 2:45 am

The Languedoc in the south of France is another good off-season destination. Look up Carcassonne. Amazing. I recently wrote about things to do if the weather is bad (usually it’s good–certainly warmer than many visitors are accustomed to–but winter and spring are when it rains).

7. Kathryn McLamb

February 8th, 2018 at 3:36 pm

Ooo, Carcassonne does look amazing!!The only place I’ve ever been to in the south of France is Nice, but I’m dying to go back and explore 🙂

8. Ellie

February 5th, 2018 at 8:47 am

Oh I have heard some amazing things about Bruges! It sounds incredible

Ellie xx

9. Kathryn McLamb

February 8th, 2018 at 3:37 pm

It’s such a magical place. Definitely hoping to get back there one day 🙂

10. Eva

February 5th, 2018 at 3:15 pm

I want to go to England’s Lake District so badly! We’re hoping to go this year sometime – it’s a great place to do landscape photography and is very popular!

Eva | http://www.shessobright.com

11. Kathryn McLamb

February 8th, 2018 at 3:37 pm

Ah, I can definitely see why with all the jaw-dropping vistas! If you ever need any travel tips when planning your trip, let me know 🙂

12. KV GREEN HOMES CREATOR PVT. LTD

February 6th, 2018 at 4:42 am

these places seem so beautiful!

13. GB HANDICRAFT

February 6th, 2018 at 4:43 am

amazing view..

14. KV GREEN HOMES CREATOR PVT. LTD

February 13th, 2018 at 4:07 am

It sounds incredible..

15. GB HANDICRAFT

February 13th, 2018 at 4:08 am

amazing picture..

16. What's Your Emotional Temperature? - Pineapple Street Blog

March 3rd, 2018 at 12:32 pm

[…] make me think back to all the cozy snow days we had in Brooklyn!) Are you planning any last-minute winter getaways? We’re hoping to drive down the coast to L.A. in April, but other than that our calendar is […]