Lifestyle

Women do a lot of incredibly uncomfortable things: have periods, give birth, cry, try to get promotions, endure seventh grade with big boobs while each male counterpart discovers their first perverted side effects of puberty…the list goes on.

I looked up “uncomfortable” in the thesaurus and it gave: annoying, bitter, difficult, agonizing, hard, troublesome, thorny, irritating, ill-fitting, and cramped. Women, in the past, were not allowed to be any of these things, against their own benefit of living a faulty, strewn, and beautiful life.

And just think – it hasn’t been that long since women can actually talk about being physically uncomfortable. I realized this while watching Marvelous Mrs. Maisel in under 48 hours (weird flex, I know). In one of the scenes during the show, she was pulled off stage for talking about pregnancy in her act because “pregnancy is a private topic only for women to hear.” Ugh, yuck. The transformation to allow acceptable prickliness in women didn’t take a turn there, either. Able and acceptable lady-angriness took decades of fruition after the fifties.

In the nineties, Alanis Morissette was one of the first women to sing about being uncomfortable (and angry with a bittersweet twist) in her song, “Hand in My Pocket,” released with her third studio album in 1995. The song opens with:

I’m broke but I’m happy, I’m poor but I’m kind

I’m short but I’m healthy, yeah

I’m high but I’m grounded, I’m sane but I’m overwhelmed

I’m lost but I’m hopeful, baby

What it all comes down to

Is that everything’s gonna be fine, fine, fine

The song, initially about a bad breakup, praises the notion of being angry. Morissette said in a 2018 Marie Claire article, “If there were to be any quality for which I become a poster child, I’ll take anger. Because as a woman, two of the main emotions that we are ‘not allowed’ to feel are anger and sadness. [Yet] anger is such a powerful life force, and I think it can move worlds.”

Morissette admits to wrongdoings, being uncomfortable in self, and shared the inevitable truth that pain and all that comes with it, is okay. She was one of the first to weigh the negative with the positive, give shape to women and showcase dissatisfaction shoulder to shoulder with happiness. Her music wasn’t just about anger, it was about life, and how it’s important for women of all kinds to experience that life and express every single raunchy part of it. According to Morissette, pain and joy dance in pairs, a waltz maybe – a waltz with bad tennis shoes.

“Jagged Little Pill” was released only twenty-five years ago.

Before then, women were encouraged to be private about their trials and tribulations. Even during the eighties, when music and Madonna were more about sexy entertainment than violating the **women have perfect feelings** norm, discomfort for women in the past was ugly, unfit, and a private/quiet practice.

In the seventies, the shushing of discomfort was very apparent among mothers. After getting married and having children, a lot of women felt at a dead end. They’d already “done it all.” Discomfort propels people forward. But they couldn’t express their discomfort, so they were encouraged to be quiet and remain docile and unmoving. In May Sarton’s book, published in 1974, A Journal of A Solitude she wrote, “A woman has managed to bring up three children, keep her marriage much alive and happy. Yet she told me three of her married friends, women with children, have committed suicide because each felt her life was a dead end, because she did not feel used or needed.” Sarton goes on writing that a good friend of hers, Carol, also a professor and mother, “tries to be cool, discriminating, humorous, but never unfeeling,” a notion that creativity and feeling things loudly are the tiny keys to survival.

Men (and women as of late) have been encouraged to be uncomfortable for years. They’ve been encouraged to take risks professionally, immerse themselves out of their safe space because discomfort contributes to growth. So as long as you’re not standing in front of a moving garbage truck (sorry, I just saw Bird Box), being physically/emotionally uncomfortable and failing and failing again and again, is what motions people into success.

Ahh [insert tiny virtual idea lightbulb] maybe I’m starting to see now why women being uncomfortable, and talking about it, had been such a shameful practice in the past. Talking about what makes us feel discomfort is always a crucial aid in propelling forward, so it makes sense that women have only recently been given the chance to do so. Women have been seemingly hushed over the years because being uncomfortable was a man’s job. The men moved forward. Things have changed. Now, we women shall catapult into the world. Head first, feet first, tits first. However we please.

Being uncomfortable instantly brings me to the very honest and raw relationship with my girlfriends, specifically. We tell stories about being uncomfortable all the time because we are comfortable with one another. And we owe it to every relationship to be our whole selves in them. It’s okay to talk about how uncomfortable sex can be, how tired and uncomfortable you were pulling your tights out of your butt in that business meeting, how weird it is to ask for a promotion, how awfully painful it is to breastfeed, or how no one tells you what it’s going to be like and how painful it is going to be after you have a baby. Or a miscarriage.

We need to treat the world this way, as we do our fellow girlfriends. And tell the truth in an exasperated and jaunty fashion. We can be pissed off, sad and lonely and put it out into the world. It’s good for us. That is what life is. It’s not always an empty sink with no dishes and having children at **that perfect age** (Writer’s Note: never to be defined). Life is about messing up, dealing with a bad breakup, quitting a good job, moving into your parent’s basement. Life is not beautiful excruciatingly charmed. Above all, it’s not realistic.

It’s damn powerful to be uncomfortable. We can hurt deeply and yell pain out, scream words into the world so we can feel the struck match of healing burn down our spines. We should talk about being uncomfortable. Understand how being uncomfortable feels. Write it down. Examine it. Share with our girlfriends. Tell our mothers. Because it’s okay to not be right.

Because, eventually, we will evaluate what is happening with our lives and realize we are all fine, fine, fine.

Image

BY Brittany Chaffee - January 2, 2019

1. The Hidden Benefits of Being Incredibly Uncomfortable – Business Blog

January 2nd, 2019 at 1:20 pm

[…] Continue reading The Hidden Benefits of Being Incredibly Uncomfortable at Wit & Delight. […]

2. My Anasa

January 2nd, 2019 at 2:06 pm

Hello! I really enjoyed your article. I have subscribed so I can keep up with new posts. Thank you!

3. Brittany Chaffee

January 2nd, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Thank you so much for reading! You’ve made my day!

4. The Hidden Benefits of Being Incredibly Uncomfortable | Home & Kitchen Essentials

January 2nd, 2019 at 11:55 pm

[…] Original source: https://witanddelight.com/2019/01/the-hidden-benefits-of-being-incredibly-uncomfortable/ […]

5. HCSTP

January 3rd, 2019 at 11:10 am

YES!!! This post couldn’t be more perfect. I’m currently 30 weeks pregnant and have been grappling with a challenging pregnancy. Since July, not a day has gone by where I haven’t felt physically and emotionally uncomfortable. This pregnancy came after three years of “trying” and three pregnancy losses. I’m frustrated with how society, and, at times, even my friends and family, have portrayed pregnancy and fertility and told me how I should feel or react to this change in my life. Some days I want to shout it from the rooftops—I’m so uncomfortable!! But, I’ve also found new strength in myself. Just when I think I’ve reached a limit, my body and mind surprises me with strength. This post further encouraged me to find power in my current reality. Thank you, Brittany!

6. Brittany Chaffee

January 3rd, 2019 at 4:41 pm

This inspired me so much.

7. This + That – Keira Lennox

January 6th, 2019 at 7:01 am

[…] How sitting in moments that are incredibly uncomfortable can help us grow. […]

8. Judy Maples

January 7th, 2019 at 2:41 am

Very inspiring and instructive article. I clearly remember when my sister was pregnant. He had read a lot of problems. Really I appreciate.

9. Brittany Chaffee

January 7th, 2019 at 8:46 am

Thank you, Judy! Honesty is key and sometimes being uncomfortable is okay!! <3 Appreciate you reading!

10. Carmen Falcon

January 27th, 2019 at 9:19 am

Thank you Brittany for bringing light to being uncomfortable which brings us closer to acceptance and understanding of ourselves. Great article!! ❤️

11. Brittany Chaffee

January 28th, 2019 at 7:58 am

Thank you so much for the kudos! Completely agree 🙂 Being a little uncomfortable is a beautiful thing. 🙂

12. duck life 4

April 21st, 2019 at 9:43 pm

This is a great article. It gave me a lot of useful information. thank you very much.

13. Brittany Chaffee

April 24th, 2019 at 9:13 am

Thank you, duck life 4! It helped me to write it too 🙂 Appreciate you so much for reading and enjoying!

14. GetAPK Market Apk

May 22nd, 2019 at 1:50 pm

The song, initially about a bad breakup, praises the notion of being angry.

15. Clarisse

June 8th, 2019 at 4:01 pm

Thank you so much !

16. Johan

June 8th, 2019 at 4:08 pm

Yes! We are all, fine, fine, fine !

17. Brittany Chaffee

June 10th, 2019 at 8:29 am

Clarisse –
    Thank YOU for reading! I’m so grateful to be able to share my writing with you!
    ~Brittany

18. Brittany Chaffee

June 10th, 2019 at 8:29 am

Johan –

Yes!! Alanis FOREVER <3 .

19. Johan

June 11th, 2019 at 11:28 am

Clarisse –

: -)))))

20. health magazine

June 24th, 2019 at 2:31 pm

Health Magazine website is latest health website here publish healthy life and fitness,food recipes, fitness & exercise,and also publish for beauty article

21. word games

July 3rd, 2019 at 5:01 am

I have read your article, I find the content quite interesting and detailed, I hope in the near future, you will have more interesting and meticulous articles to give readers insight. More about this issue, Thank you for sharing this article.

22. Brittany Chaffee

July 4th, 2019 at 10:35 am

Hello word games! Thank you so much for reading and commenting, I really appreciate it! It’s definitely a subject that should be discussed 🙂 Have a wonderful day!

23. Sugar Mummy

July 29th, 2019 at 9:55 am

What an insightful post…would try it out

24. Brittany Chaffee

July 29th, 2019 at 10:11 am

Thank you, Sugar Mummy!

25. vex 3

September 20th, 2019 at 10:57 pm

Thanks for sharing those interesting benefits for us. This is something that I don’t know about.

26. Brittany Chaffee

September 25th, 2019 at 10:18 am

You’re welcome! I’m always happy to share (we all have vulnerabilities). Thank you so much for reading, vex3!

27. daliya

November 14th, 2019 at 2:03 am

It’s awesome idea to hidden face. Thanks

28. Brittany Chaffee

November 18th, 2019 at 10:19 am

Thank you so much, daliya!