As we gear up for the chilly season, I’m starting to pull out my essential cold-weather apparel items and accessories. At the top of the list are, of course, my coats. Living in a place like Minnesota, I like to keep a variety of coats on hand to keep me cozy in different temperatures and for different occasions.
Now that the fall season is officially upon us, I wanted to put together a roundup of my favorite coats available right now, broken out into five categories. I hope you find something you love in the list below!
I don’t think this kind of coat will ever go out of style. Get a good wrap coat and wear it forever.
1. J. Crew Wrap Blazer-Jacket in Italian Boiled Wool $268, currently on sale for $224
2. UNIQLO Wool Blend Long Coat $160
3. Gap Recycled Double-Face Wool Wrap Coat $228
It’s chic to be comfortable when the temps drop. Take inspiration from great après-ski style photos online and get a puffer coat that will serve you well on a functional level and make you feel stylish.
4. Everlane The ReNew Long Puffer $198
5. Summersalt The Colorblock Eco Puffer Jacket $125
6. & Other Stories Padded Nylon Coat $179
This is a classic pattern that can be dressed up or thrown over a matching set of sweats. It looks great no matter what.
7. Everlane The Gathered Drape Trench Coat $218
8. Lauren Ralph Lauren via Nordstrom Houndstooth Check Coat $260
9. Avec Les Filles Houndstooth Plaid Peacoat $199, currently on sale for $139
If you want to build a classic outerwear wardrobe, a trench coat is a must. I even wear mine to school drop-off with my PJs underneath and no one is the wiser.
10. COS Corduroy Trench Coat $285
11. Everlane The Long Mac Coat $228
12. COS Belted Trench Coat $250
This is the little black dress of coats but better. Look for a rich, true blue navy—one that has a lot of indigo. There’s nothing quite like a well-tailored navy coat in my opinion.
13. COS Belted Trench Coat $250
14. J. Crew Villa Coat in Italian Stadium-Cloth Wool $375, currently on sale for $225
15. Summersalt The Warmest Eco Wool Wrap Coat $185
Editor’s Note: This article contains affiliate links. Wit & Delight uses affiliate links as a source of revenue to fund the operations of the business and to be less dependent on branded content. Wit & Delight stands behind all product recommendations. Still have questions about these links or our process? Feel free to email us.
Kate is currently learning to play the Ukulele, much to the despair of her husband, kids, and dogs. Follow her on Instagram at @witanddelight_.
BY Kate Arends - September 28, 2022
Did you know W&D now has a resource library of Printable Art, Templates, Freebies, and more?
Thank you for being here. For being open to enjoying life’s simple pleasures and looking inward to understand yourself, your neighbors, and your fellow humans! I’m looking forward to chatting with you.
I am simultaneously LOVING the plaid coat trend and also worrying that I will look like my dad in a bathrobe LOL.
I have a hunch it would look great but I hear your point!