Who Says Cubicles Have to be Drab?
BROUGHT TO YOU BY Scotch™ Brand
When visiting our studio, my desk is the easiest to spot. While my team has clean, organized workspaces, mine is overflowing with props, notebooks, photos, sketches and coffee cups. This is not a new phenomenon. Over the years, in just about every position I’ve held, I’ve enjoyed the process of personalizing my desk. I figure if I’m going to spend a good amount of my day somewhere, over a long period of time, I might as well make it my own.
Recently, Scotch™ Brand reached out to see if I’d help them put together some tips and tricks on how to elevate ordinary cubicles into workspaces that evoke inspiration and personal style. I thought it would be a fun challenge! How does one take the mundane and conformity out of the everyday cubicle and inspire someone to create a space that is a true representation of themselves? I set out to transform workspaces into three different inspired personas using some of the newest products from Scotch™ Brand. Everything we used is not only useful in the office, but can assist in styling your current workspace and embellishing regular, everyday items. After some creative concepting with the W&D team, we decided on three concepts, hoping at least one look would speak to each reader. The three looks we decided on are 1. The minimal modern, 2. Professional in pink, and 3. The boho professional. Follow along with me as I take you on our cubicle redesign journey!
Cubicle 1: For the person looking for a minimal modern look
You don’t have to cover your walls in bright patterns to bring a bit of personality into your cube. With the first look, we wanted to showcase how small changes can make a big impact. In talking to people who work in corporate environments, many of them stressed they wanted to personalize their space but didn’t want it to stand out as too different or flashy than their coworkers. We decided to stick to simple, modern and minimalistic styles and design this space with a colored cube. We wanted to show that just because you didn’t pick the color of your cubical, you could make small tweaks to make it less stark. For this look, we played off the blue and white hues and used colder colors to give the space a fresh, clean feel. We used Scotch® Expressions Washi Tape to “label” binders in different colors and patterns. We also added metallic Scotch® Expressions Washi Tape around our succulent plant, pencils, and 3-ring binders. The gold and copper hues give this cube a hint of elegance, while the blue, seafoam green and white tones create a fun, simple and orderly atmosphere for working.
Cubicle 2: For the professional who loves pink
This look is for professionals who embrace their inner feminity. In this cube, we played with pops of light pink and copper but kept them grounded in muted neutrals and natural materials. The copper and gold tones give an otherwise stark environment a cozier feeling. The key colors in achieving this look are pink, gold, black, and a little dash of ivory spread all over to soften up the look. You don’t want to overdo it– unless you’re an over-the-top character and if that’s the case, you GO for it, girl!
Another great way to use washi tape is in your planner. You can create color-coded tabs, or in my case, use long strips to mark off long trips, projects, and initiatives that span multiple days. It’s a fun way to make planning a little crafty and colorful. We also used Scotch™ Thermal Laminator to create a reusable to-do list that can be wiped clean at the end of the day and Scotch® Wall-Safe Tape to add a eucalyptus accent around the office clock. My favorite discovery from working with Scotch™ Brand, their super cute tape dispensers.
In addition to adding a bit of blush and copper into the space, greenery goes a long way in making your cube more enjoyable to be in. A couple succulents or a snake plant do well in low-light environments and need minimal upkeep.
Cubicle 3: For the boho professional
I have so many friends who have two personas. By day they’re buttoned up and killing it at the office, and on the weekend they’re sipping kombucha while explaining the benefits of essential oils and acupuncture. This cube is meant for these earthy and bohemian professionals. The free spirited ones, the wanderers, travelers and nature lovers. For this look, we leaned toward brown and green colors and added in wood and leather accents whenever possible. We featured an artisan made wall weaving, rug, and other hand-woven textiles from Arden Trading Co. to give the space an authentic artisan vibe. We also lined the cube with this fun black and copper-colored Scotch® Expressions Washi Tape. A few bright colors and textures paired with leather, wood, and other earthy-toned pieces are the keys to achieving this dreamy bohemian workspace. What I love most about this space is it shows how much your personal objects can pop in an office space.
Whether you gravitate toward the minimal modern makeover cube, the pink professional desk or the bohemian workspace. Here are some basic tips and tricks on how to make the most of your office space and create an environment that is both stylish and productive.
- Keep it Green. I love incorporating live florals or plants into small spaces. All plants give off oxygen, while some plants provide air filtration, and they provide a little of the outside in the inside. Snake Plants and Peace Lilies are great options to provide air filtration. My favorites are small succulents. These plants need little maintenance and don’t take up much-needed workspace.
- Get Colorful. Small pops of color make all the difference. Washi Tape. Get to know it. Get to love it. I use this on EVERYTHING. Seriously. It’s such an easy way to add color, quickly and effortlessly. Try using Scotch® Expressions Washi Tape to personalize your nameplate or to dress up your phone cord.
- Double Trouble. Choose products that work overtime. Scotch® Wall-Safe Tape, which looks just, like regular tape, but won’t ruin the wall surface when removing. Scotch™ Dry Erase Tape. Yes, this exists. Any room can be transformed into a war room.
- Accessorize.The easiest way to elevate your office is to incorporate fun accessories. I like to choose a color or concept and run with it throughout the space. Like pink? Swap out the standard manila folders for ones in your favorite hue. Art lover? Find some artisan bowls or dishes to hold paperclips.
- The Sky’s the Limit. If you’ve got limited desk space, consider maximizing the vertical space around you. I like to hang pictures and organize accessories on the wall. Scotch® Restickable Strips and hooks are strong enough to mount, and easily removable without damage to the wall surface.
- Get the Right Lighting. While you can’t change the overhead florescent lighting, you can add a little warmth to your corner of the world with a great desk lamp. Great for everyday use, even when you aren’t burning the midnight oil.
- Personalize. Photos, inspirational quotes, wall hangings. I love bringing in treasures from home to keep me grounded and remind me of why I work so hard in the first place.
Remember, you don’t have to be a creative to be creative. There is no “right” way to design a space. Design is always subjective and personal; there are really no rules on how to incorporate your personality into your space. Your imagination (and space limitations) is you only parameters. Visit the Scotch™Brand Lookbook for more styling and taping tips and tricks on how to make your workplace your own.
Scotch™ Brand products featured in this cubicle remodel story: Scotch® Desktop Tape Dispensers, Scotch™ Brand Scissors, Scotch™ Thermal Laminators, Scotch® Expressions Washi & Masking Tapes, Scotch® Wall-Safe Tape, Scotch™ Magic® Tape, Scotch® Double-Sided Tape, Scotch® Heavy Duty Shipping Packaging Tape with Dispenser, Scotch™ Dry Erase Tape.
Ed. note: This post was sponsored by Scotch™ Brand. The compensation received in exchange for placement on Wit & Delight is used to purchase props, hire a photographer, write/edit the blog post and support the larger team behind Wit & Delight.
While compensation was received in exchange for coverage, all thoughts and opinions are always my own. Sponsored posts like these allow for the development of additional dynamic content to be produced, unsponsored. Thank you for supporting our partners!