W&D Renovates: Surviving (and Thriving) in Sub-Zero Temperatures

Interiors & Decor

W&D_Citizenry-39

We the North are in our element. You might have an idea of how cold it was this past weekend, if you watched the Vikings/Seahawks game on Sunday. It was cold enough to literally crack a Viking’s horn. Maybe that should be our new standard of cold.

As I write this, it’s a balmy -7. That’s below zero, and without the windchill. Anything below 0 should require the weatherman to say “you know what? Don’t bother going outside.”

I’ve mentioned before, like many northerners, I do thrive in the cold. It forces me to stay inside, to stay focused. After we moved into this house, I became reacquainted with the heating “challenges” an older presented; drafty windows and radiators that didn’t so much “radiate” as “not produce heat”. We began tackling the heating issue during our home renovation that took place this past summer, and now I’m hard pressed to leave our new basement thanks to one little element: a new fireplace.W&D_Citizenry-23

We worked with the team at Heat & Glo last summer to select and install the perfect mix of traditional and modern fireplace (did you expect anything different?) for our basement remodel. We settled on the Heat & Glo Cosmo 42 and I couldn’t be happier with the results.

The fireplace is built into the wall, which means no worries of people tripping (ahem) or a certain dog’s tail getting too close. Also, it’s gas! While I love a traditional wood burning fire, we have one upstairs in the living room, it’s so nice to not have to worry about getting up off the couch to keep the fire going. Just flip the switch and, voilá! Heat! Or having wood lying around for someone to chew on. Did I mention I have a dog?

Based on what I’ve read, this fireplace should help with the heating bill. Thank goodness, because each year winter seems to get longer and longer.W&D_Citizenry-22

Stay tuned on the blog for a more comprehensive basement, and home reveal this coming spring.

Images courtesy of 2nd Truth Photography

Decor Sources: Blu Dot – New Standard Sofa, Blu Dot – Toro Chair, Blu Dot – Strut Coffee Table, People I Loved – Wink Wink Pillows, Ikea – Entertainment Unit, Artwork by Tappan Collective, Candle Holder from Unison (similar)

BY Kate Arends - January 14, 2016

1. Jess @ Fashion By Committee

January 14th, 2016 at 4:04 pm

I’m currently house hunting, and a fireplace is definitely on the must-have list! But just in case we find a perfect-but-fireplaceless house, I am totally bookmarking Heat & Glo, because your new fireplace is gorgeous. I can’t even believe that’s a basement, it’s so bright and airy! Love it!

Jess | FashionByCommittee.com

2. Amanda

January 15th, 2016 at 8:57 am

I’m currently renovating a 90 year old home over in Wisconsin, so I totally understand untimely heating issues. Everything you’ve done looks so great, can’t wait to see the big reveal!

3. Caylie

January 15th, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Good luck with the fireplace. It looks lovely! Glad that you are thriving in those mind-bogglingly cold temperatures! Enjoy your indoor time!

4. Matt Hansen

January 15th, 2016 at 4:27 pm

This is insanely nice.

5. Alyssa

January 17th, 2016 at 2:02 pm

Love this! Cheers to thriving in the winter months!

6. Emma

January 19th, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Hi Kate!

I’m so glad to see more of your home. I follow you on SnapChat and love the little glimpses. I’m the opposite of you… In Charleston, SC where in the summers it is crucial to have and air conditioner working at all times. We just bought a house that was built in 1840 and needless to say the upkeep is constant. Keep up the lovely work!

Emma

January 20th, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Thanks so much Emma! I love snapchat for that exact reason. So glad you are joining us over here, too. Charleston is one of my favorite cities in the country… i could live there in a second. Enjoy this beautiful time of the year!

8. Elizabeth

January 20th, 2016 at 2:58 pm

I found the perfect dress on Pinterest from your site. It is white with a black open back, so romantic. Can you please help me find it? I want to wear it for my wedding. Also, going to order the ACV shampoo. Thank you.

January 20th, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Hi Elizabeth! Could you share the link to the pin? We can see what we can do. Glad to hear you are going to try the ACV shampoo– let me know what you think!

10. Couch Goals - Wit & Delight

January 25th, 2016 at 10:00 am

[…] delicate items without constant supervision” zones. No more trinkets on the coffee tables. Fireplaces, once safe, are now built into the wall. Even blankets aren’t immune to the destruction of […]

11. Our Home in Domino Magazine! - Wit & Delight

March 11th, 2016 at 10:00 am

[…] house last year in one fell swoop. Domino covered almost all our projects with the exception of our basement, which will be revealing in its entirety in follow up post. Here are the images Wing Ta, of Canary […]

12. Kasey

April 13th, 2016 at 7:30 pm

Hey Kate, we’re remodeling our basement, too. Could you share details on the carpet you installed? Thanks!

April 13th, 2016 at 11:55 pm

Hi! We have a blog post coming up on this. Stay tuned! If you need info in the next week or so, shoot me an email. 🙂

14. Albouri

March 2nd, 2017 at 9:39 pm

This piece of junk doesn’t work, its either a defect or installed by immature technicians @ new Richmond home in Castle Rock, CO, every time we turn it on, it heats up the entire wall (10’- high) and heat up the mantel above to the point where you smell burning wood. Sure won’t buy this product again.