Our Home in Domino Magazine!

Interiors & Decor

Project_20151130_0007

It’s here! I’m so excited that we were able to share our home renovation with you through the eyes of Domino Magazine. We’re featured in the latest issue (available on newsstands now) in Domino’s newly designed, bigger, glossier update. I’ve devoured Domino since I was in high school and they opened up a whole new world of decor for me. I’ve been rearranging and dreaming about interiors ever since.

Project_20151130_0010

We’ve shared the process of renovating our home with McDonald Remodeling over the past six months. From selecting a contractor to planning our space, but we haven’t put together a post that shows all the updates we did to the house last year in one fell swoop. Domino covered almost all our projects with the exception of our basement, which will be revealing in its entirety in follow up post. Here are the images Wing Ta, of Canary Grey, shot of our space for Domino, along with some design commentary from yours truly.

Project_20151130_0020

Where to begin with this kitchen? After living here for six months post-renovation, my favorite part about this kitchen is how well it works for our lifestyle. Pictured here is a built in fridge, from Warners’ Stellian, and coffee nook. This used the be one of the entrances to our kitchen. Behind this wall is the foyer.

Project_20151130_0006

This view of our kitchen is taken from the living room. We love that this space is now big enough for us to grow into, and everything has a place and items can be easily found. This massive oak peninsula (built by Jim McDonald) works as both a prep space and a casual eating space. There used to be a wall where the peninsula currently is, and there was also an opening to the side door where the dark cabinets are now located. Because the space isn’t a perfect square, we broke it up with contrasting cabinets. We liked the idea of letting our things take center stage, because we take time and care in selecting what we bring into our home. It’s nice to have a space to show these pieces off.

Project_20151130_0008

Open shelving was another must-have for me. I love to cook and the idea of having all my tools readily available make this kitchen very inviting for the at-home chef. I spend most of my time here, and I’ve found that I’m a lot better at improvising and whipping up meals with whatever we have on hand. A couple of my favorite things are featured here, including these canisters from March SF, brass canisters from Schoolhouse Electric, and Danish cookware by Dansk.

Project_20151130_0009

The stove is the heart of this kitchen. If you are someone who cooks a lot, you know how helpful it is to have tools you love to use. Our LaCanche  French range is the smallest and most basic model you can buy, which worked perfectly for the small space and our budget. A good range is certainly an investment! In order to highlight this beauty we chose hardware that complemented the range. The cabinet color was chosen to draw attention to the design of the range as well. We had a custom hood made to help bring a modern flare to the traditional cabinetry.

Project_20151130_0017

Just a casual picture of our family hanging out in the dining room. It looks like we’re having a meeting and Winnie is ready for us to be finished! 🙂

Project_20151130_0001

Here’s our living room. We didn’t do much to this space except paint everything and refinish the flooring. We opted to go with a lighter, natural finish to help combat the amount of dog hair we deal with everyday.

Project_20151130_0002

A detail shot of the original built-ins.

Project_20151130_0022

Our entryway is narrow, so we maximized storage space by bringing a dresser from the guest room down to the foyer. It is filled with all the scarves, hats, and gloves needed during the winter months. We throw our keys and cellphones here for safe keeping.

Project_20151130_0018

Winnie keeps watch on the landing.

Project_20151130_0024

A small peek at our sunroom. We’re currently turning this space into a dual purpose room… details to come!

Project_20151130_0005

This is the powder room that was once a closet. It is located in the foyer, which is nice because it’s away from the living spaces and not near the kitchen. We decided to go bold in this small space with wallpaper from Rifle Paper Co. and a peach ceiling. This room makes me smile.

Project_20151130_0014

You may already be familiar with our office makeover… all the details can be found in this post.

Project_20151130_0015

Project_20151130_0012

The guest room is an odd shape, so we turned this awkward corner into a gallery wall. On the other side of the room is a simple and peaceful resting place. Even though our upstairs is little cramped, we want guests to feel like they have some peace and quiet.

Project_20151130_0025

Believe it or not, we still have work to do! But that, friends, is for another post.

Sources: Kitchen: Design/Planning by McDonald Remodeling // Paint – Benjamin Moore – White Dove // Paint – Benjamin Moore – Wrought Iron // Floor Tile – Cement Tile Shop– Star //  Countertops – Cambria’s Marble Collection, Ella // Lacanche Range // Blu Dot – Hot Mesh Counter Stool

Dining Room:  Design/Planning by McDonald Remodeling // Table – Room & Board  // Light Fixture – Park Studio LA – Adel // Rug – Dwell – Brown and White Cowhide // Dot & Bo Chairs

Living Room: Design/Planning by McDonald Remodeling // CB2  – Avec Sofa // Loloi – Anastasia Rug – AF-06 Blue/Ivory // Bertoia Chairs //  Quilt (Similar) // CB2  Coffee Table

Powder Room: Design/Planning by McDonald Remodeling  // Wallpaper – Rifle Paper Co. – Peonies (Mint) // Toilet – Kohler – Memoir’s Stately // Sink – Kohler – Memoirs Classic 24″ // Fixture – Kohler – Purist Faucet // West Elm Marbled Catch-all Box

Sunroom: Paint Color- Ralph Lauren Darcy // Chair (similar) // Record Player – Crosley – Portable Turntable – Blue

Foyer: Light Fixture – Park Studio LA – Petaluma // Vintage Dresser (similar) // Runner – eSale Rugs (similar)

Guest Room: Pillow – People I’ve Loved – Wink, Wink Pillows / Louise Grey – Quilt No.1  // One King’s Lane – Bed (Similar)  // Paint Color- Behr – Grey Owl // Emerson Light – Lamp // West Elm – Side Table (Similar) // Art – Wayne Pate – Family of Fawl //

Gallery Wall Artwork: Caroline Wright //Debbie Carlos // Saatchi 1 & 2 // Dafy Hagai – Ripples courtesy of Tappan // Vintage Chair (similar)

Office: Paint Color – BEHR Marquee Compass Blue //  Smart FurnitureFiling Cabinet, Chair, Table //Woodwork – McDonald Remodeling  // Console – LAX Series – 3x Shelf // Globe – CB2 // Schoolhouse Electric – Tanker Clock // Chair – Vintage (similar)

Shop The Kitchen & Dining Room

Shop The Living Room and Bedroom

BY Kate Arends - March 11, 2016

1. LOVE this!! I’ve been a long-time fan but have never commented… but I just had to tell you that I think every detail here is perfection. SO inspiring, thank you!

2. brandy says:

Thank you for sharing and inspiring, Kate, and kudos to Domino for recognizing your talent!

3. Kelly says:

Oh my goodness, absolutely beautiful!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

4. Molly says:

congrats on the domino spread! your space is so beautiful and livable.

5. […] love Kate’s black + white kitchen with touches of […]

6. Connie says:

Love your style! Will you share the source for the office rug? Thanks!

7. Connie says:

Sorry, I meant the office rug in previous comment!

8. Tasha says:

Just gorgeous! Love the canisters!

9. Kasey says:

Kate, your space is so inspiring. We just recently purchased a 1930s tudor and I’m finding so much inspiration in your home as we plan renovations and decorate our space.

10. Mun says:

What a delightful space! So bright and beautiful, completely oozing with homeliness <3 Looks like Winnie's dressed up for the shoot too haha! How cute.

11. […] we were designing the kitchen, I almost went with black fixtures. I liked the high contrast, and high quality brass was so […]

12. Ashley says:

Kate,

One: congrats on the feature! That is incredible.

Two: major, serious props for sourcing where so many things from your home are. I know that takes a lot of time but you can’t imagine how much so many of us appreciate that while trying to find things to curate our own home, even if just for inspiration or to find a new website of goods!

Many thanks 🙂

13. Catherine says:

Kate – I absolutely love the home tour. What a beautiful, minimal, yet warm space. Nailed it. Many thanks for sourcing everything. That rug is just what we’ve been searching for, but it makes a huge difference seeing it in a room. xo, Catherine

14. Aysegul says:

What a beautiful kitchen Kate. I would have never thought that black cupboards would look so good. I love the fact that you found (and shared) such affordable yet beautiful props. It looks so home-y and welcoming. Wishing you and your family many happy days to cook in that beautiful space.
    Congrats on the Domino spread.
    Cheers!

15. […] love Kate’s black + white kitchen with touches of […]

16. Amy says:

Do you mind giving info on the wood countertop and shelves? I’m planning on doing butcher block on my island and some matching open shelving and absolutely love the color and finish of yours. Thank you!

17. Sarah says:

I would love to know more about the open shelving too…were they custom made, store bought, etc. Love your kitchen! Thanks!!

• Kate says:

Hi Sarah! We had these build custom. I would recommend working with a carpenter for floating shelving because you don’t want to worry about the load they’ll carry. Ours were made with white oak and simple invisible bracket. I really like the look of Rejuvenation Hardware’s brackets. It’s a totally different look than we went for, but really beautiful and easier to install yourself. Hope this helps!

18. Eva Rees says:

Nic fridge! Tall, narrow and paneled — I’m shopping for something just like it. Who makes yours?

19. Debbie says:

Fabulous! Love the windows. Can you provide details? Thanks!

20. […] With a significant renovation often comes the opportunity to revisit decor elements. We put off selecting artwork until we knew how the house would flow post-reno, and in hindsight I’m really glad we practiced some patience with the process. Joe and I had a challenging time with selecting the perfect piece and realized that we couldn’t go at it alone. We’re really grateful for our partnership with the amazing team at Tappan to help us select art for the new space. […]

21. Ashley says:

I would love to know about your apron sink. I’m currently looking for one, and I’m overwhelmed with the options!!

22. […] (Image credit: Wit & Delight) […]

23. Abby says:

I love the color choice of the kitchen, dining and living room. It appears the walls were all one color. Did you paint the cabinets a different color than the trim? Or are those the same? Would love to know the names of what the trim/cabinets are painted. THANKS!

24. […] colorful house that combines modernity and contemporary styles […]

25. […] the home department (and the everything else department, she’s got my dream job basically!), Kate Arends of Wit + Delight has such a beautiful home I want to […]

26. […] within the upper cabinets, is suddenly front and center. Kate of Wit & Delight decided on a simple range hood painted the same color as the walls, which complements but doesn’t compete with her gorgeous […]

27. laura says:

I love your kitchen! What type of refrigerator did you end up getting?

28. Brooke says:

Could you share the source for the kitchen light fixtures? Both those over the island and the one over the table. I’m in love!

29. Babmar says:

I would like to say thanks for sharing this information here and I really appreciate this post,Babmar is one of the most trusted brand name in weather-resistant handwoven outdoor furniture.For more info visit http://babmar.com

30. suqiliri says:

Can you decorate my room and sitting room.

31. Marie says:

I have hired a interior designer for my house construction.

32. These interior designs are great.

33. Jamie says:

I’m curious the size and brand of the sink? I love!

34. Reena says:

Hi
    I like your black kitchen designe I have 160cm wide gap and i want to put two base unit with drawer and glass door wall unit same size. hight for wall unit will be 100cm do you sell anything that size, if you do can you give me quaote please.
    Regards
    Reena

35. Eva Marie Clarke says:

what is the make of your kitchen faucet

36. Richard says:

Your interior ideas are just awesome.

37. […] for you. If you cherished this posting and you would like to acquire more info with regards to Domino kindly visit our web site. The problem with PVC is that they are not reusable and unrecyclable. […]

38. […] for you. If you cherished this report and you would like to obtain extra information regarding Domino kindly take a look at our site. The problem with PVC is that they aren’t reusable and […]

39. […] issue for you. If you loved this write-up and you would like to acquire additional data regarding Domino kindly stop by our web page. The issue with PVC is that they are not reusable and unrecyclable. […]

40. Awon shah says:

Wonderful interior designs thanks for sharing.

41. Absolutely love the design of your comments.

42. Vigrx says:

Is this art deco or something.

43. Vigrx says:

And we’ll probably just do the same. Thanks.

44. I wonder why this isn’t working

45. Ok, well I’ll try one more time with something else.

46. Now let’s try this again. I bet it will work this time.

47. men's health says:

I can’t seem to shake this feeling, or put it down

48. Someday it will all be gone. Wont’ it.

49. sherazi says:

first of all i would like to congratulate you, I know it is too late. it is really good that you have shared your experience with us. Most of people don’t. if i talk about design i would say simply amazing. i like light color scheme.

50. Mike says:

It’s really good that you have shared your experience with us. Most people don’t. if I talk about design I would say simply amazing.

51. Mike says:

Nice article it will help anyone who search for new khnowledge

52. Daniel says:

interest seems hammer. One of my writings in different fields

53. Fat Man says:

Hey this is really great. Keep it up.

54. […] will fix the issue for you. If you beloved this write-up and you would like to get more data about Domino kindly take a look at our own web-page. The problem with PVC is that they don’t seem to be […]

55. […] will fix the issue for you. If you beloved this write-up and you would like to get more data about Domino kindly take a look at our own web-page. The problem with PVC is that they don’t seem to be […]

56. […] will fix the issue for you. If you beloved this write-up and you would like to get more data about Domino kindly take a look at our own web-page. The problem with PVC is that they don’t seem to be […]

57. Jagdish says:

godgiftfashionThe information you gave us looks very good to you, heartily thank you

58. thomas says:

Thats awesome.. it’s exactly what i was looking for! thank you for sharing this

Thomas @ Saleclic

59. […] Wit and Delight’s Green Peony bathroom is the kind of saturation and colour that is bold and unforgettable. I would totally have used it in our house if they still had this print in production. […]

60. What things do you need to know when you go shopping? Basic Terms You’ll come across these descriptors as you shop for carpeting. In recent years, however, more carpets are being offered with a warranty on stairs. If the length of the tread is 15cm and the length of the rise is 15cm, the length measurement for one step would be 30cm. How long do you want your new carpet to last? How long do you want your new carpet to last? If your answer is 5 years or less than you dont have to spend so much to get the job done. When choosing carpet for stairs, you typically want to go with the highest durability https://carpet-for-stairs.com that you can afford, in the style that you prefer unless the highest grade is too thick for stairs . It’s important your stairs have visual appeal. This gives all the advantages of wool, in terms of look and feel, with the added strength of nylon. If the manufacturer/retailer doesn’t provide it, you can calculate it yourself: Multiply the face weight by 36; then divide that result by the pile height in inches.

What does the manufacturer really cover? Sometimes only defects are replaced, not normal wear and tear, and other times certain aspects of the warranty wont apply to the carpet on stairs see

61. Scarlet says:

How cool. Congratulations. I can see why. What a beautiful home. That kitchen is just stunning. So many fabulous details. In fact, I am pinning for inspiration now!