Unearthing Hidden Treasures

Interiors & Decor

W&D_Citizenry-2

Over the years, I’ve seemed to have acquired quite a bit of stuff. Sometimes through work, but more often than not, something catches my eye and I think “I can use this. I’m not quite for sure for what exactly, but something in the future.” This line of thinking has led me to crammed closets, a garage that no longer holds two cars, and a storage unit. What you may not know, dear reader, is that behind the camera, there is a pile of stuff just out of eyesight.

With the new year, comes change, and one of my goals this year, aside from some of the more traditional resolutions, is to turn my editorial lens on myself. I’ve talked in the past about little changes that make big impacts, so when it came time to update our bedroom (it’s out of control, I know) I kept simplicity top of mind. Admittedly, the bedroom is more of a “refresh” rather than a “redo”. The goal was to inject some excitement into the room using pieces I already had.

W&D_Citizenry-11

During the holiday break, I got a bit obsessed with Marie Kondo, and spent a few days going through the house and making multiple trips to the local Goodwill. In the aftermath of tidying up, I unearthed some really amazing pieces from The Citizenry, an online retailer of handmade global goods.

W&D_Citizenry-13

I’ve been an admirer of their shop, and had the pleasure of meeting with Carly and Rachel this past fall during the launch of their showroom in Dallas. Not only do I love the product, but also their philosophy and responsible business practices. I’ve purchased a few things on their site before, and you may have seen them included in an Instagram or two. With all this admiration, I’m a little surprised this is the first “official” time I’ve mentioned them on the blog.

New pillows and a blanket, along with a basket, to hold some of the aforementioned stuff, livened up the room. The blanket was such as hit with Winnie, that she ate it. Seriously. Ate a huge hole through the first one we purchased. If that’s not an endorsement, I’m not sure what is.

W&D_Citizenry-9

W&D_Citizenry-8

The Goods: Estrato Pillow // La Niebla Floor Pillow // Ceniza Lumbar Pillow // Nzuri Basket // Estrato Oversized Bed Throw

All images courtesy of 2nd Truth Photography

BY Kate Arends - January 8, 2016

1. Laura

January 8th, 2016 at 10:00 am

Beautiful space! Where is the bench from? Am looking for one very similar. Love your spaces…

2. Poshnessary

January 8th, 2016 at 12:01 pm

love the bed throw!!

Kisses from http://poshnessary.com

3. Mun

January 8th, 2016 at 3:17 pm

Awesome items you’ve scored there!

4. Susan

January 9th, 2016 at 9:51 am

I hear you. I have a basement full of “treasures”. My word for 2016 is “less”. Your bedroom looks so peaceful. I hope the area just out of lens is peaceful too! Happy 2016.

5. Edye

January 9th, 2016 at 1:18 pm

I was wondering if I could pin this to my pinterest? If so, how do I do it? Thanks!

Blessings,
    Edye

6. Caylie

January 11th, 2016 at 10:09 am

I love all of this! Congratulations on your refresh, it always feels so good!

January 13th, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Thank you Caylie!

8. Rebekah

January 11th, 2016 at 12:33 pm

SO beautiful! Where is your rug from?

January 13th, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Hi Rebekah! it was a one-of-a-kind vintage find at One Kings Lane. Check out their selection! I also like esalerugs.com and ecarpetgallery.com

10. Liz

January 13th, 2016 at 2:17 pm

so beautiful!!! where is your bed from?

January 13th, 2016 at 10:28 pm

Hi liz! It is from Blu Dot 🙂

12. Ginger

January 20th, 2016 at 4:47 pm

Hi Kate,

My name is Ginger and I work for Architectural Antiques. We are a company that specializes in restoring antique architectural elements and recently, I’ve been researching design trends and looking at the top designers/taste makers/bloggers in the Twin Cities and of course, found you! We love your style and find it very inspiring! I was curious if I could include you and your work as the authority of Minnesota interior design style in my blog post? And if so, do you have any advice or input about my current project- a feature I am writing about a distinctive Minnesota interior design style?
    Thank you so much for you time and please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Best,
    Ginger, Design Intern
    Architectural Antiques

January 20th, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Hi Ginger! I’m a huge fan of Architectural Antique and visit often 🙂 Feel free to include any content from our recent renovation. The design was inspired by the english tudor architecture and scandinavian design. Thanks again!

14. The Missing Piece(s) - Wit & Delight

January 27th, 2016 at 10:00 am

[…] Instead of something missing, maybe it was due to too much stuff. So I Marie Kondo’d my way through the house, ridding it of various stuff that no longer sparked joy. After a few carloads to the Goodwill, the […]

15. Melissa

January 29th, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Bed throw is awesome. Would it work on a king sized bed?

16. Global Interiors Inspiration: The Citizenry, USA – NeedsMoreCushions

January 30th, 2016 at 1:44 pm

[…] keen on bold colour statements. The shot below was styled by Kate Arends, author of excellent blog WitandDelight. How much do you want that to be your bedroom?! I know I […]

17. Handcrafted Home Goods- a Susan Connor Giveaway - Wit & Delight

February 24th, 2016 at 10:00 am

[…] own quest to edit the things in my house and get rid of stuff. I was surprised with the amount of treasures uncovered, including a set of brand new pillows from Susan Connor NY. When all was said and done, I was happy […]

18. Sunday Mishmash of Goodness « Covet Living

February 28th, 2016 at 9:49 am

[…] chunky, nubby Boho coverlet.  Please get in my beach […]

19. Decoration Inspiration: Rooms that Use Texture to Add a Little Magic Sell Ur Shit | Make Money Selling Your Shit online for Free | Sell Ur Shit | Make Money Selling Your Shit online for Free

March 9th, 2016 at 1:16 am

[…] hard to look at this bedroom from Wit & Delight and look at anything but that delightful blanket — it really draws the eye. Give this a try at […]

20. Couch Goals - Wit & Delight

April 28th, 2016 at 10:57 am

[…] No more trinkets on the coffee tables. Fireplaces, once safe, are now built into the wall. Even blankets aren’t immune to the destruction of Winnie. Of course, it is all worth it she’s just the best […]